DT Suh

OMH link

Suh may be future leader

BY ROBIN WASHUT

WORLD-HERALD CORRESPONDENT

LINCOLN - When Ndamukong Suh reached back and threw Southern California quarterback John David Booty to the ground last Saturday, the future of Nebraska's defensive line became perfectly clear.

While it was the only tackle he'd get in the 28-10 loss, that lone sack just might have been the first of many in years to come.

At 6-foot-4, 305 pounds, the defensive tackle from Portland, Ore., is not only one of the Huskers' biggest defensive linemen, but also one of the most athletically gifted. With feet and agility that his coaches say should belong to a player 40 pounds lighter, Suh appears perfectly suited to anchor NU's defensive front next season.

For now, though, the sophomore is more concerned with helping this season's line become one of the most deep and talented in the country.

"I'm anxious to get back on the field and to keep making plays," he said. "I came here to start. That's been one of my goals since I was a freshman, to come in here and play right away. But after talking to my coaches and my parents, I decided I would be best to take this year just to learn. That's really helped me develop as a player."

Suh signed with Nebraska in 2004 rated as one of the premier defensive linemen in the nation coming out of high school. He was a Parade All-American and a member of the U.S. Army All-America team, and many thought he could make an immediate impact in Lincoln.

But after slowly beginning to make his way into the defensive line rotation three weeks into the 2005 season, Suh was sidelined for the year after tearing cartilage in his left knee during practice.

Despite his frustration of being kept off the field, he was able to turn the injury into a positive by learning all the mental aspects of the game. He also spent as much time as possible learning from fellow nose tackle Ola Dagunduro.

"I've learned a lot from Ola over the past year," Suh said. "He knows the ropes, especially about being a backup. I'd ask him questions all the time."

Though he didn't know it at the time, Suh's injury may have been more a benefit than a setback. "It was kind of frustrating at first, but I learned to take advantage of all those mental reps I got in practice and work on the mental part of the game."

Suh's coaches say his eagerness to learn the position and fundamental techniques have caught their attention from his first practice.

"He's progressed very well this season. He's becoming a force out there," defensive line coach John Blake said. "He's a bright kid, too. He always listens and asks questions, and you can see he wants to do whatever it takes to play. He's definitely going to continue to work into our rotation this year."

Through three games, Suh is tied for the team lead with one sack and second with two tackles for losses, all while playing in a backup role.

"I'm mainly focused on the man in front of me and making sure I just do what I'm supposed to," he said. "As long as I make sure I do my job, then good things will happen eventually."