Impressions and Stats - Western Illinois

Well, the kicking game needs work, and Dailey - after coming out on fire - cooled off, but overall, it was everything we could hope for. The Blackshirts were - well, the Blackshirts. A minus 3 rushing yards for WIU. Thirty pass attempts for 218 yards by Dailey. Most points scored since the 2000 Kansas game. And the offensive line played far, far better than I could have hoped. Yep, not bad.

Preliminary Final Stats

game_01.jpg

the only stat that i'm concerned with is the 6 turnovers. didn't see or hear the game, so i really can't place it in context. but i know 6 turnovers will kill us in a game with OU or Texas.

nice rushing yards, tho. guess the run game isn't dead AFTER all.

I was at the game and was all around very satisfied. as the others said our kicking game espcially special teams as a whole sux!! Wow we gave up huge return yards and fumblelayad the ball on punt returns 3-4 times. but overall very good outing and couldnt ask for much more. Joe d made some young dumb mistakes but then again he is young. this is how he develops and this was the game for that; but man he threw some balls right at the wrong guY!! I was very impressed with Brandon jackson, we are in good shape for yeras to come there. our Oline looks very solid and with Murtha and Muy in the wings I am pretty comfortable.

GBR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really like the fact that The D was able to shut down a team that was gifted with6 turn overs...First game jitters and a new system, but you can't take away the fact that Joe D can hit his recievers deep and Cory Ross is the man..

I think the fumbles in special teams may be a thing we need to address but I'm not ready to change anything right now...As far as Joe throwin the INT'S ....El Roberson thru his share but he also killed you with his arm and leg...Joe D is very dangerous...Brad Smith wishes he could thro downfield like Dailey....

The Big Red Payback Tour Has Started

Joe D played awesome those first two drives. Couldn't have asked for anything better. He threw the ball with velocity. W. Ill. didn't know what in the world was going on in the first half. A whole bunch of motion and shifts and then right up the middle. Nice holes all day, but this only a D-1AA. Next week we'll have a little better idea of what we got up front.

Take away half of the turnover and we put up 70.

W. Illinois 0 3 14 0 - 17

Nebraska 14 28 7 7 - 56

1st quarter

NU - J.Dailey 6 run (S.DeAngelis kick) 13:07

NU - M.Herian 5 pass from J.Dailey (S.DeAngelis kick) 05:47

2nd quarter

NU - W.Amos 36 pass from J.Dailey (S.DeAngelis kick) 14:54

NU - M.Herian 22 pass from J.Dailey (S.DeAngelis kick) 12:34

NU - W.Amos 18 pass from J.Dailey (S.DeAngelis kick) 10:03

NU - T.Green 28 run (S.DeAngelis kick) 04:45

WI - J.Langan 24 field goal 00:58

3rd quarter

NU - J.Dailey 10 run (S.DeAngelis kick) 11:54

WI - J.Norris 98 kickoff return (J.Langan kick) 11:42

WI - B.Moore 6 pass from A.Smith (J.Langan kick) 00:10

4th quarter

NU - T.Green 34 run (S.DeAngelis kick) 05:22

WI NU

FIRST DOWNS................... 12 30

RUSHES-YARDS (NET)............ 35--3 39-363

PASSING YDS (NET)............. 223 218

Passes Att-Comp-Int........... 42-20-4 31-16-4

TOTAL OFFENSE PLAYS-YARDS..77-220 70-581

Fumble Returns-Yards.......... 0-0 0-0

Punt Returns-Yards............ 0-0 5-58

Kickoff Returns-Yards......... 5-207 1-21

Interception Returns-Yards.... 4-31 4-114

Punts (Number-Avg)............ 9-35.7 1-48.0

Fumbles-Lost.................. 1-1 3-2

Penalties-Yards............... 7-41 6-55

Possession Time............... 35:53 24:07

Third-Down Conversions........ 5 of 20 5 of 8

Fourth-Down Conversions....... 0 of 2 1 of 2

Red-Zone Scores-Chances....... 2-5 4-4

Sacks By: Number-Yards........ 0-0 7-43

RUSHING

W.Illinois: Glasford 14-25; Yellin 4-7; Norris 1-3; Rivers 1-0; Gray 1-minus 1; LaFalce 7-minus 2; Lawson 1-minus 5; Smith 6-minus 30.

Nebraska: Ross 13-125; Green 7-112; Jackson 13-79; Dailey 4-28; Nunn 1-21; Team 1-minus 2.

PASSING

W.Illinois: LaFalce 10-26-4-112; Smith 10-15-0-111; TEAM 0-1-0-0.

Nebraska: Dailey 15-30-4-218; Goodman 1-1-0-0.

RECEIVING

W.Illinois: Glasford 8-76; Gray 4-85; Yellin 2-7; Langan 1-18; Thomas 1-13; Lawson 1-6; Blackwell 1-6; Moore 1-6; High 1-6.

Nebraska: Herian 7-98; Amos 2-54; Ross 2-32; Mulkey 2-13; Nunn 1-11; Pilkington 1-10; Todd 1-0.

Attendance: 77,471

I thought the game was great. Offense looked unbelievable in the first half. We actually got in the end zone when we were in the red zone! I haven't seen that consistently in a year or two :). Dailey was throwing with laser like accuracy. The second half things got a bit hairy, but the game was out of reach by then.

Special teams needs work. I don't think anyone doubts that. It was horrible at times. That will definitely not fly this year.

The turnovers are a concern, but a lot of those came on special teams. Dailey did throw, what, 4 INT's in the second half. I wouldn't hit him too hard for that, being that it is his first game starting in a brand new offensive scheme. I don't know if anyone else noticed, but there were a couple pass almost picked off because it looked like recievers stopped running the route. doh!

Herian and Amos had great games. Good receptions. Tierre Green played well also. I am excited to see him develop. At times he looked better than Ross.

Anyway, that's what I got off the top of my head.!! Go Big Red!

Just an interesting fact I read.

On the day Nebraska unveiled its new, more pass friendly offense, its only NFL wide receiver is released (Thomas); and when the Huskers special teams was very unspecial, an alum punter excelled and may have cemented his job.

Just wanted to say thanks for running with this thread while I was away this weekend. Didnt have access to a cpu so couldnt make any updates, but FWIW here are some stats etc for the WIU game:

http://www.huskerbay.com/new/2004_Husker_s...chedule.htm#wiu

Look for the So Miss update to be much quicker as Im staying around KC this weekend.

Overall great win, and I love how the feeling of anticipation & excitement is back with Husker Nation. Hasnt felt like this for a few yrs you have to admit... GBR!!