Insights to Suh

LJS link

The Word with Ndamukiong Suh

BY JOHN MABRY / Lincoln Journal Star

Wednesday, Oct 11, 2006 - 12:19:57 am CDT

Nose tackle Ndamukong Suh has 11 tackles and a team-high 2.5 sacks.

There aren’t too many tricky tongue twisters on the Husker depth chart until you get to nose tackle, where senior Ola Dagunduro is No. 1, and sophomore Ndamukong Suh is No. 2.

Suh’s name is pronounced En-dom-ah-ken Sue. His mother is from Jamaica and his father is from Cameroon, where Ndamukong means “House of Spears.”

Ndamukong, who is 6-foot-4 and 305 pounds, went to high school in Portland, Ore., and is studying construction management. He is doing some exciting things on defense, with 11 tackles and a team-high 2.5 sacks.

Whose name is tougher to pronounce, yours or Ola’s?

“I’d probably say Ola’s is a little bit harder just because Ola’s not his full name, his full first name. It’s Olatokunbo.”

What is the wildest pronunciation you’ve heard of your name?

“My girlfriend actually told me one of her friends called me, ‘En-DOOM-kin.’”

Who else recruited you?

“Oregon State was after me. Mississippi State was after me. Cal. Miami.”

What about Oregon?

“Oregon was in the race very very early, but I didn’t really like their school just because they didn’t have an engineering program.”

And it was also their uniforms, too, right?

“I like the uniforms, actually. I’ve been around Nike all my life.”

What’s a class you’re taking that is really tough?

“Chemistry is really tough. I’m not really into science, so I don’t really focus on science as much as I do with construction because I’ve kind of grown up with it with my dad being a mechanical engineer. Chemistry is not one of my favorite subjects.”

So were you over there with the Sampson Construction people, helping them with the stadium improvements?

“No. I wish I was. It would have been a great internship.”

Do you like playing nose tackle or would you rather be outside?

“I actually have grown to like nose tackle a lot. It’s a lot easier in the sense that I’m close to the (offensive) guy, so there’s less time for error. I can get my hands on him and move him where I want to be. I’ve grown to like nose tackle, although I’ve grown up through high school playing defensive end.”

Do you trash talk the center when you’re playing nose?

“I kind of let my hands do the trash talking.”

You entertained Josh Freeman on his recruiting visit. What was he like?

“He was a friendly kid. We had fun that weekend. We had a lot of fun. I really thought he was coming, especially coming to all of our bowl-game practices and stuff (last year). I thought he was coming, for sure. Unfortunately, he didn’t, and he chose K-State, which seems like a better place for him right now.”

So are you going to be eager to get into the backfield this week with him back there?

“I’m always eager to get into the backfield.”

With the name ‘Suh,’ are you a Johnny Cash fan at all?

“Not really, but I’ve heard the song plenty of times.”

Which of the offensive linemen get on your nerves in practice?

“I would probably say (left tackle) Chris Patrick just because whenever we run an outside stunt, he likes to push you in your back once you get past him or after the play’s gone. But that’s his job. I don’t fault him for it.”

Any NFL players you look up to?

“I’ve always kind of looked up to Simeon Rice and Warren Sapp just because I’ve grown up watching them play at Miami and with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers winning championships.”

What’s your favorite expression from Coach Blake?

“‘Raggedy.’ He says it funny. Whenever we’re watching film, and somebody does something wrong or is getting thrown to the ground or not doing it right, he says, ‘Man, that play was raggedy.’”