Congrats to Okie State

HSKRNOKC

There were two teams out there today. We tend to think our team quit, the coaches did something wrong or the players did something wrong. Let's give credit to the kids and coaches from Oklahoma State. They came to play the whole 60 minutes. They beat us fair and square. Time to move on. Nebraska plays Missouri for the North next week. The team can still accomplish its goals. Stand behind them and be good fans, admit the better team today won. Get over it.

Thanks for the kind words. I do hope our program is turning the corner, and do think we have a lot of athleticism - especially on offense. Our defense struggles, primarily b/c our LBs are young and half of them are hurt. Bobby Reid is going to be special IMO.

That being said, do you all think you lost the game or we won it? I'd also be interested to know honest opinions on our team and its future.

When analyzing your team, I think NU is improving, but isn't quite there yet (meaning not to your traditional form). The offense is improved but the defense isn't the same caliber I am used to seeing from Nebraska. But, it takes time when you are changing philosophies, much like we have done as well. I like your QB and your stable of RBs. I think you should utilize your TE more, b/c he is a good player. Lastly, there is just so much parity in college football now that it makes it difficult to be truly superior.

Well, thanks for letting me join the board and I look forward to your responses.

***SNIP***

That being said, do you all think you lost the game or we won it? I'd also be interested to know honest opinions on our team and its future.

***SNIP***

Honestly, I think it was a good helping of both.

Nebraska is still in a rebuilding process. We lack depth and we have some obvious weaknesses (such as the secondary). Oklahoma State is the kind of team that gives our defense fits - big, fast receivers and a mobile quarterback who can pass. With our secondary's weakness, we can't commit linebackers to stopping the run or to blitz as much or as often as is necessary, and often we end up relying on the front four - and when the quarterback is mobile...well, it beomes at least five blockers on four defenders, and lanes open up for the quarterback to scramble. For that reason, we have more sucess against "traditional" quarterbacks - McCoy at Texas is not a world-beater with his legs, and didn't pose the threat that more mobile quarterbacks pose.

I think your offense is fine, but that you still have work to do on defense. I'm baffled by the two games prior to the Huskers - the OSU defense plays well in spurts, and then seems to go to sleep. It's fast, but tends to over-react to play action and misdirection. Perhaps that's an experience thing - it could be that the defense is relying more on athletic ability rather than technique.

I'd say, overall, you have a very up-and-coming team, and I look forward to seeing how you do in the south in the next few years.

Oh, yes - I also look forward to a rematch at some point... ;)