WHOSE TO BLAME? COACHES OR PLAYERS....

When we have a team mostly consisting of Callahan's recruits? And by that I mean people that have been recruited as freshman, not juco's (though we have gotten a few high caliber players from them, some still need maturing at the I-A level).

Look, nobody is blaming Solich for all our problems. But like it or not, he left us with a bad legacy in recruiting. If we had no other problems, it wouldn't be a big deal. But that's not even close to reality. We have Cosgrove, who I think is just average, injuries (especially to our best cover man), inexperience, players recruited into a totally different system than they are playing, players being moved to positions they were never recruited to play due to injuries, etc.

There are multiple problems, no one thing is the source of all the problems. And to me that includes Cosgrove.

I guess you give them a free ride for the next three or four years then. I think Callahan is a good head coach. I think Cosgrove is weak. Don't you think Solich's defensive players looked pretty good in his last year under Bo's direction?

When we have a team mostly consisting of Callahan's recruits? And by that I mean people that have been recruited as freshman, not juco's (though we have gotten a few high caliber players from them, some still need maturing at the I-A level).

Look, nobody is blaming Solich for all our problems. But like it or not, he left us with a bad legacy in recruiting. If we had no other problems, it wouldn't be a big deal. But that's not even close to reality. We have Cosgrove, who I think is just average, injuries (especially to our best cover man), inexperience, players recruited into a totally different system than they are playing, players being moved to positions they were never recruited to play due to injuries, etc.

There are multiple problems, no one thing is the source of all the problems. And to me that includes Cosgrove.

I guess you give them a free ride for the next three or four years then. I think Callahan is a good head coach. I think Cosgrove is weak. Don't you think Solich's defensive players looked pretty good in his last year under Bo's direction?

OH GOD not another Solich based topic! dedhoarse

I think Bo was a better defensive coordinator, yes. And I think in general some of the players he had were superior as well.

Like I said, Solich brought in some good recruits and a much larger number of decent ones. I can keep saying it as much as it takes to sink in...the left overs we have are just not up to snuff in some positions. But that is one problem among a multitude of others. In the next couple years we will see what Cosgrove really has to offer.

And btw, this isn't a Solich topic. But you can't address problems on the team without mentioning that Solich was not a good recruiter and some of his leftovers leave a lot to be desired. Once again, that is just one problem among many.

I really did think Callahan was the coach to lead us back to the top, but I'm seriously having doubts at this point.

The game plan vs. USC was unreal. We didn't play to win, we played to minimize the loss.

The I-Back by Committee is a bunch of !@#$. If Jackson were the featured back, I believe he would be one of the best in the country. I wouldn't blame him or any of the other backs if they wanted to transfer.

Also, why is it that we play well in the first half and then seem to shut down in the second half? I just don't get it!

I love the Huskers and always will, but I wonder if Callahan can do it.

You win as a team, you lose as a team.

I almost made it through an entire year without hearing Pelini's name, damn. Maybe next year.

Let the mass hysteria continue. It really never fails. After a loss, people come out of the woodwork to re-hash the past 5 years of Husker football. It's ridiculous.

OH GOD not another Solich based topic! dedhoarse

lol Solich SHOULDNT be the topic....if he was the topic...the last year under solich we went 10-3...and pelini was the last link to blackshirt consistency which has been lacking for 3 years now

I really don't think there's any harm in going back and looking at Bo to compare with Cosgrove. The problem is the comparison is hard to make because Cosgrove's standing is clouded by a lot of things. I think it's hard to say exactly what the problem is because it's a combination of a lot of problems. In a couple years I think we'll have a number of those cleared up, which will make it much easier to see what Cosgrove really has to offer. That's why I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt until he's able to work a defense without some of these lingering issues that have come with the transition and injuries.

Uh, we are still playing with a fair number of Solich recruits. Just because they are playing doesn't mean they are at the level we need them to be. It just means they are as good as we've got right now. There are several reasons why they are as good as we've got right now. We've had injuries, some players have simply not ended up playing up to the level they were expected to play at, some are inexperienced at the I-A level and need maturing, and so on.

The point is, Solich was not a good recruiter and the general caliber of recruit he brought in was not as high as we'd like. It takes time to establish your recruiting at a college when you first get there, you just don't get all the recruits you want after the first season (especially if that season is 5-6, or whatever Callahan's first was). We have some good players from Solich and a much larger number of decent players. They are not the only problem, just part of it, along with all the other things I listed.

it's year 3 of the callahan era. if they have failed to recruit enough talent on the defensive side of the ball it's there fault, not solich's.

I almost made it through an entire year without hearing Pelini's name, damn. Maybe next year.

Let the mass hysteria continue. It really never fails. After a loss, people come out of the woodwork to re-hash the past 5 years of Husker football. It's ridiculous.

that's what happens when you make a controversial move and it backfires.

that's what happens when you make a controversial move and it backfires.

We'll see you at the next loss then, k? Afterall, we don't see you after wins. Fact.

Solich has nothing to do with this in any way and I never liked him as a head coach period. Cosgrove has a defense that is totally inconsistant. The offense isn't any better. Tayor has not passed alot because his passes are low and behind the receivers. His play this year has been just about as bad as Grixby's. Honestly he hasn't been getting the job done.

Some kids pan out and some do not. Teirre is not a saftey and shanel would not start anywhere. The corners will both be replaced as soon as the new recruits learn the defense. And Cosgrove.... we have to give him a chance. Callahan hired him because of their connection. Tom Osborne had all his coaches because of their conection with him. Mcbride's head was called for at one time. Cosgrove can make it happen, but he needs time and a secondary. Some are now here and learning and some are on their way. The front 7 are very good but they do not make an entire defense.

The only real problem I see with the coaching is the fact that the team does not seem to be motivated consistantly. And the attitude of holding on to a lead is crap in college football. I love college football because there is not a super star in every position. Therefore there is always a chance for a big play. The coaching staff needs to understand this. When you get up on the points KEEP GOING> piss on the prevent anything scheeme. You have to keep hammering and keep the kids hungery period.

GBR

win loose or draw, my colors are scarlet and cream!