Bo Pelini

np_husker

I'm not saying this to cause trouble or dis Callahan. I do hope Callahan can take us to the top, but I have always felt that Bo Pelini would have been a better fit at NU. He's blue collar, like most of Nebraska and he says what he feels. I never get the feeling that Callahan is speaking from his heart. To borrow one of his own words, he's always using "coach speak".

Pelini takes the players he has and makes the most of it. Callahan won't do that and it has hurt us. Pelini wouldn't have let our bowl streak come to an end.

Anyway, this is a good article about Pelini.

http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_4605995

To lead the nation in total defense while competing in the cat-quick SEC is remarkable.

Really not a thing in there you can argue about, especially the above comment. It sounds, according to the LSU players, he's running very similiar defense when he was here.

He also has great athletes down there, something NU obviously didn't have.

So in conclusion, ATHLETES WIN GAMES NOT THE COACHES

To lead the nation in total defense while competing in the cat-quick SEC is remarkable.

Really not a thing in there you can argue about, especially the above comment. It sounds, according to the LSU players, he's running very similiar defense when he was here.

Does anyone here ever stop to wonder if a good coach can make decent atheletes appear to be much better while a poor coach can make them appear to be incompetent? Can you empirically demonstrate the level of atheleticism other than the performances that they put on under the direction of a coach? Did we have horrible athletes the year before Pelini showed up and then lose them all after he was gone?

I'm not saying that I think that what you're saying is wrong, but it sure seems narrow to say that it's one or the other. If you can't tell me that a great coach can't make a huge difference between major Div I programs, then I ask you, why are they there? If you averaged out the "athleticism" (and how do we measure that?) across the top 15 or even 25 schools' defenses, then I would bet that they'll be pretty close. It's the schemes, strategies, and abilities to adjust to and predict the other teams' strategies and tactics and making sure that the players are in the right positions to stop those plays. You think that Missouri had guys wide open in the endzone (with no one even close) because our guys are less athletic? Sure, grixby fell down but he was at least THERE. When our dbacks are there and just doing poorly, yeah, that's on them. But when there is no one there, when our linebackers are out of position and have been neutralized, that's on the coach for picking the wrong scheme. We we keep doing the same things and failing, that's on the coach.

It's like mind & body. Sure, players have to be smart to make those quick decisions, read the QB's eyes, and all of that, but it's the coach who has to make sure that they're in a place that they can actually do that...

Oh well... I'm sure that this is something that we all agree on, but saying that it's the players not the coaches is silly. It's a strong interplay of the two and I think that our D has enough talent to really benefit from a great coach.

Bo Pelini doesn't have the class or public persona to be the face of a major college football program.

If he does land a HC job, it'll be at a mid-major or directional school.

Yeah, that's the problem here-- I don't think that he should have been the head coach. He tried to make an absurd power play and it blew up in his face. It does take a mighty ego to do some of the stuff that he did. Hey, maybe if he would have made some agreement to remain the DC he could have proven that his ego is justified. However, trying to play chicken with a bulldozer when all you have is a bike, albeit a bad-assed bike, is pretty stupid. I would guess that he didn't even get a look for the job.

Hell, I don't even know if they should have canned solich after that season. Sure, I thought he was pretty much a piece of crap, but I think he was waking up and starting to move in the right direction. It would have been worth keeping him if only to see if pelini would mature.

I didn't mind the explosion after the KSU game as much as some-- to me it shows that he was REALLY in the game but needed to learn to control that passion. I'd rather have that than see shots of our coach sqatting on the ground and appearing to space off duing the USC game. God, who didn't see that and then suddenly get hit with the impression that he really didn't actually care that much? This isn't the pros, you can't just eat a loss and expect to get into the playoffs.

Does anyone here ever stop to wonder if a good coach can make decent atheletes appear to be much better while a poor coach can make them appear to be incompetent? Can you empirically demonstrate the level of atheleticism other than the performances that they put on under the direction of a coach? Did we have horrible athletes the year before Pelini showed up and then lose them all after he was gone?

I'm not saying that I think that what you're saying is wrong, but it sure seems narrow to say that it's one or the other. If you can't tell me that a great coach can't make a huge difference between major Div I programs, then I ask you, why are they there? If you averaged out the "athleticism" (and how do we measure that?) across the top 15 or even 25 schools' defenses, then I would bet that they'll be pretty close. It's the schemes, strategies, and abilities to adjust to and predict the other teams' strategies and tactics and making sure that the players are in the right positions to stop those plays. You think that Missouri had guys wide open in the endzone (with no one even close) because our guys are less athletic? Sure, grixby fell down but he was at least THERE. When our dbacks are there and just doing poorly, yeah, that's on them. But when there is no one there, when our linebackers are out of position and have been neutralized, that's on the coach for picking the wrong scheme. We we keep doing the same things and failing, that's on the coach.

It's like mind & body. Sure, players have to be smart to make those quick decisions, read the QB's eyes, and all of that, but it's the coach who has to make sure that they're in a place that they can actually do that...

Oh well... I'm sure that this is something that we all agree on, but saying that it's the players not the coaches is silly. It's a strong interplay of the two and I think that our D has enough talent to really benefit from a great coach.

I think your comments were right on the money Glendower! While I know it would have never worked because Bo P wanted the Head Coaching job, I would have liked to had Bill as the head and Bo as the D coord. I just don't think Cosgrove is getting done.

I dont understand why people remember this guy. Cuz the Huskers beat an average Michigan State team in a bowl game? Because his manuerisms were different from Solich at the time (and quite a bit juvenile)? He whined and complained that he deserved the head coaching job. It was sad and ridiculous. I dont want to look at the books, but that year his defense did give up 400 plus yards a few times. He aint the answer here. Need to forget his name please.

I dont understand why people remember this guy. Cuz the Huskers beat an average Michigan State team in a bowl game? Because his manuerisms were different from Solich at the time (and quite a bit juvenile)? He whined and complained that he deserved the head coaching job. It was sad and ridiculous. I dont want to look at the books, but that year his defense did give up 400 plus yards a few times. He aint the answer here. Need to forget his name please.

AMEN........who couldn't have an all world defense at LSU..GEEZ and the guy was a huge cry baby. and he is such a mercenary that if he started winning in Lincoln he would have took the first NFL offer that acme his way......I say good riddance.

When will people the see critical player mistakes in the USC game and the general asshatness of Pelini for what they are?

I am critical of people on this team as much as the next guy, put Callahan not having an stroke on the sidelines is not a bad thing.

As for Pelini, how can you like a guy who had such a retarted bend in the bill of his hat?