Replay during USC game

gamecocks

Did anyone watch the USC game last night. There was a replay in the fourth quarter that took at least 15 minutes and maybe even a half hour (I couldn't tell as I was in a bar and couldn't hear). But the replay was if an Oregon player came down with the ball in bounds for a touchdown. After the first review, the refs stated that the player was out of bounds earlier on the play and was not legal to catch the pass. Then after a about 10 minutes of the coaches arguing with the officals. They took another trip to the replay booth to see that the ball was tipped by another player before reaching the running back making it legal for him to catch the ball. So now the refs overturned their previous ruling and called it a touchdown. They then had another 10 minute arguement with Pete Carrol and the USC coaching staff. I could of swore the whole thing took a half hour to sort out. So in conclusion, the NCAA will take away valuable playing time during a game and replace it with this sort of crap that delays the game even longer.

Did anyone watch the USC game last night. There was a replay in the fourth quarter that took at least 15 minutes and maybe even a half hour (I couldn't tell as I was in a bar and couldn't hear). But the replay was if an Oregon player came down with the ball in bounds for a touchdown. After the first review, the refs stated that the player was out of bounds earlier on the play and was not legal to catch the pass. Then after a about 10 minutes of the coaches arguing with the officals. They took another trip to the replay booth to see that the ball was tipped by another player before reaching the running back making it legal for him to catch the ball. So now the refs overturned their previous ruling and called it a touchdown. They then had another 10 minute arguement with Pete Carrol and the USC coaching staff. I could of swore the whole thing took a half hour to sort out. So in conclusion, the NCAA will take away valuable playing time during a game and replace it with this sort of crap that delays the game even longer.

You gotta be kidding!

I've not looked, so if someone knows - does each conference get a certain amount of latitude in how they implement replay? I know that the NCAA does not mandate equipment, so that's not uniform from conference to conference. How about time? Anyone know?

The NCAA mandated rules and quiptment for this season. last season it was up to the conferences to have it and how to use replay. This season though it is in the main rule book.

Thanks.

I thought I recalled something about the equipment; i.e., while it have certain capabilities, the NCAA didn't specify any particular "brand". Can't recall where I read that, but I seem to recall the article noted that, for example, the Big 10 used TIVOs (seriously, that's what I recall), and the SEC used specialized equipment designed for the review process.

What was funny about that was the official review overturned the ruling on the field, then the coach challenged it and overturned the officials (re)ruling. I had several beverages that evening, but I think I knew the rule and those officials didn't. Where does the Pac-10 hire these jokers? First the OU game that they blew, now something like this? Awesome. I bet their HR uses a fogged-mirror test for referee hiring. If you can fog up a mirror, grab a zebra suit!