NU vs. OU

junior4949

Men amongst boys. I know it's a little early in the year to be talking about Oklahoma, but this will be the best team we face all year long. With their fierce defense and their stud freshman running back, I believe we are in for a long day unless we can make Jason White try to beat us. We supposedly have one of the better secondaries in the country. If we can cover Clayton and corps. and make White beat us by running, we may have a small chance. However, to do all this we must pack 8 in the box to stop their incredible freshman running back who seems to get stronger and stronger each week.

I hope I'm wrong, but this may be the only time in the next 4 years we even have a chance to beat these guys. Their stud freshman quarterback who is in waiting is a lot more mobile than White. When he and their stud running back begin playing together, watch out College Football. Combine superior athletes and coaching staff with Bo Pelini's gift of knowing each and every player of Nebraska's strength's and mostly weaknesses, the next 4 years could be extremely rough. Possibly, there will be no Big 12 Championships here for quite a while unless Stoops moves on.

I know there were some who thought Ross would be the Big 12 rushing leader this year. With the numbers Peterson is recording, I believe he will out rush even Sproles at KSU. He has the best line in the Big 12 to run behind, and Stoops seems to be very content running the ball. Now that he isn't sharing much time with Jones, Peterson will cruise his way into becoming the Big 12 Freshman of the year.

In order to stand a chance against OU, we will have to play 4 great quarters of football. In the first three games combined, we have really only managed 6. The butterfingers has to stop, special teams must get a lot better, and Dailey needs to make better reads. We have quite a few games to iron out the wrinkles, but we also have a few tough ones in there with KState, Tech, and Mizzou. In my opinion, the Tech game is the most crucial game this season. If we get completely shell shocked by Tech, it could trigger a lot of doubt which could propel us into a losing season. However, a complete domination could trigger a lot of mementum which could cap off a relatively good season. A lot hinges on this game.

junior4949,

You make a lot of good points. Hopefully, the skers continue to improve and eliminate the mistakes. I think the Husker Coaches will attract the quality of athletes we have enjoyed in the past. And the players we have now will get better and better (see Grant Wistrom chant). We have got more 4 and 5 star players this year and next to help us catch and surpass the okie and tex teams. I think with the players and Coaches all getting more acclimated to each other and their system we will begin to overpower people maybe just not as much this year. This offense once it is clicking will prove more versatile than the option. Our option was great when we had qbacks who could roll out on play action and make big plays with their arms and legs. With the WCO the qback is still crucial but can run as a last resort after making his reads. I think Coach Callahan truly will have a more balanced offense which keeps the defense honest. I really believe we won't struggle nearly as much as ND has with their version of the WCO. Their athletes dont seem to be picking up the nuances as quickly as our players. Yes, we have to cut down mistakes and make better reads and hold blocks and etc. but it looks like there is improvement every week. The Pitt game was definitely closer than it needed to be but the conditions didnt help. The short passes will help eliminate the environmental challenges that the midwest endures each fall and winter. Good footing is essential for both defense and offense for both teams and we should survive this first year ok IMHO. We have the easy part and that is just supporting our team. GBR

Originally posted by junior4949:

***SNIP***

With their fierce defense and their stud freshman running back, I believe we are in for a long day…

True, but then again, who would have thought K-State had a chance against them last year?

While a position-by-position comparison makes it look like a mismatch, year after year upsets occur. I agree that the Huskers will have to play lights out, and probably OU will have to have an off day. But it can happen.

In reply to last year's KState vs. OU in the Big 12 championship game, I actually picked in our pool KState. I really thought last year was KState's year to win it all, and they would have if El Roberson would have been healthy earlier in the year. They would have won their bowl game also if it hadn't been for some "bimbo" alleging she was raped by Roberson but soon after the bowl game dropped the charges. KState had the tools to beat OU. Hell, Missouri gave OU a good game because they had a mobile quarterback.

For some reason, Snyder can put together a hell of a team only to be disappointed usually by one player who usually seems to be the quarterback. Anyone remember I believe it was 1998? The last 4 games of the season, KState averaged 4 turnovers per game. Although they were able to win a couple of the games, they couldn't overcome Texas A&M. KState is like Nebraska this year because this year is a rebuilding year. Did they get better recruits for 2004? I don't know, but I do know they did get a pretty talented quarterback.

Will NU beat KState this year? I think a lot depends on how each team is doing prior to the game. Both teams could face meltdown if losses begin to rack up. Or, both teams could be pumped if they begin hitting on all 8 cylinders. IMO, both teams are vulnerable this year.

I just think this game is going to be closer than all of you think.  It's NU vs OU for god sake.  Give the Huskers some credit.

I think Bo will want to kill us and they will win by 40. Just my opinion.

Yeah - and I'm sure OU will kill us simply because of the extra motivation they get for the game from Bo. Yeah right. Talent and coaching win, not some emotional ploy, which I'm sure Bo won't try to play anyway.

I just think this game is going to be closer than all of you think.  It's NU vs OU for god sake.  Give the Huskers some credit.

I think Bo will want to kill us and they will win by 40. Just my opinion.

Yeah - and I'm sure OU will kill us simply because of the extra motivation they get for the game from Bo. Yeah right. Talent and coaching win, not some emotional ploy, which I'm sure Bo won't try to play anyway.

We will see.

If you don't think emotion wins football games then you have never seen a true rivallry game then. Whenever a rival comes to town, one should throw out the records because it is going to be a dog fight. Just look at the last couple of Colorado and Nebraska games, Colorado always seems to play use tough no matter what the records are. Emotions are a huge part of college football. That may be a reason why OU beats NU or it may be a reason why NU beats OU.