Please Coz

Talked to a guy at the game and he said something to the effect of us running zone coverage in the 3rd with much better results. Any thoughts?

Could be. You really don't see enough of the field on TV to see what's going on in the defensive backfield. Doesn't stop people from talking like they did though. ;)

The pictures are nice, but it's kind of like taking sentences from a paragraph out of context. They are going to throw at the weakest link every time.

I don't think it is just Grixby. I think it is scheme and technique. It's hard to cover a a quick out or slant when you start out 8 to 10 yards off the ball. And the safeties don't ever seem to be in position to help. Further, that whole not turn around thing is really bugging the heck outta me. Last, but not least is that our safeties don't ever hit anybody. After watching Shanle in the Alamo Bowl last year on punts, I don't think he is afraid to hit. I'm really questioning Coz & Elmo here.

I think Grix is a huge liability as much as anyone..... but I think he will be in there until he graduates... I believe that Thenarse came to NU more as a safety than a CB..... this is probably the reason he isn't gtting the reps.....Hopefully, this spring, he will mature as a cover CB, and compete for the starting job.... I understand the philosophy of "we can't do any worse", but that is not the case...... If you put a kid out on an island that doesn't grasp the scheme, you will have NO shot at covering, and guys will be wide open....

At least, in most cases, Grix, is somewhere close.... If anyone actually "watched" the game close, you would have noticed that on 90% of the passes caught on Grix, #4 pushed off at the point of his break... This is illegal, but never called in football.... His lack of size kills him, but he at least attempts to be agressive.... On the 60 + TD pass in the 1st qt.... Grix had very good coverage.... don't be afraid to tip your hat to Thompson, who threw that ball absolutely great.... something he hasn't done all year.....

I am just as concerned about Jones, who came in as a "hot-shot" JUCO talking trash before the USC game, and he is horrible...... He cant cover and he cant tackle !!!!! He is so unsure of himself, that he will let the WR run to him instead of forcing the issue on a tackle....