Best Recruit

gamecocks

Who would be in your top five for recruits? Not just players. I would probally put Frazier, Wistrom, Shields, DeAngelo Evans, and Newcombe. They were all highly touted coming out of high school and we thought that they would all lead Nebraska to the promise land. Frazier and Wistrom lived up to their billing and Shields was great. But Evans and Newcombe were both disappointments though Newcombe lived through his and helped us win a Big 12 Championship.

Who would be in your top five for recruits? Not just players. I would probally put Frazier, Wistrom, Shields, DeAngelo Evans, and Newcombe. They were all highly touted coming out of high school and we thought that they would all lead Nebraska to the promise land. Frazier and Wistrom lived up to their billing and Shields was great. But Evans and Newcombe were both disappointments though Newcombe lived through his and helped us win a Big 12 Championship.

Evans was the Best freshman back I have ever seen at Nu. Both him and Newcombe were never the same player after their injuries. The best recruit was Frazier.I'd say LP was a close second, then Ahman. You would have to say Crouch and Rozier are up there along with Gill and Fryar. As for Defense I go with Peter Brothers, Wistorm, Alberts kind of got this defense started, Tyrell farely and Dwilliams.

wow thats right, DE was amazing. havent thought of that kid in a loong time. anyone know what hes up to? last I heard he was at som juco in wichita i believe. whatta flop.

that brings up a gud ideas. who was the biggest flop at NU? i'll start a new trhead for that one..

I wouldn't say he was a flop, I guess he was but it was because of injury. So I don't count it.

Terrific Tom, I agree with you that Broderick Thomas was a great recruit. Anytime a team changes its defense and its philosophy just to bring in a player, the guy must be pretty special. He was the reason that we called our ends "rush ends". He wanted to come here as a linebacker so we told him that he would be a linebacker that blized alot then gradually put him in the down position.

Back before the recruiting networks existed, Ahman Green was ranked by some of the services as the number one running back in the country.

Tony Ortiz was also ranked as the proverbial 5-star. Evans was a 4-star coming out of high school, but he had most of Barry Sanders' records.

In my estimation, Evans' success was certainly due to his talent, but outside of the center position, he was running behind nothing but fifth-year seniors. I would say my mother could get 500 hundreds in a season behind that line.

Manaia Brown was also a five-star coming out of high school, but his transfer obviously puts some sour grapes on that and Haloti Ngata had committed to Nebraska for a time and he was the highest ranked DT in the country.

Wistrom was ranked up there, but Shields was ranked amongst the best at his position when he came out.

Others that are lost in the shuffle because they didn't do so well at NU were guys like Jason Richenberger (transferred), M.J. Flaum (Ranked as a four-star, top 20 lineman in the country, never played due to injury), Josh Mueller (5-star TE, ranked top five at his position in the country), Trev Alberts (four-star that was actually looked at, at one point to play fullback for NU before finally being put at OLB/RE) and of course, Johnny Mitchell who was also top five.

Mike Rozier was ranked as the top junior college running back in the country when he came to NU. Dean Steinkuhler was considered one of the best linemen when he decided on Nebraska as was Zach Wiegert.

Josh Davis was ranked at one point as the fourth best running back in the country when he came out, Marcus Houston being ranked number one at the time.

Both Newcombe and Mike Brown were highly rated, each voted players of the year for their respective states their senior years and highly touted track stars as well.

And of course, Scott Frost was the second ranked dual-threat QB in the country, right behind eventual four-time Heisman winner, Ron Powlus. :)

wow this has turned into a really intresting thread. one thing i really find intresting is how terrific tom can have some guys in his top recruits and junior has many of the same in the biggest flop ever thread..

from T Tom

In no particular ORDER

1. Broderick Thomas

2. dOUG dUBOSE

2. Dominic Raiola

4. Johnny Mitchell

5. Jake Young

junior4949

1. Broderick Thomas - Other than having a big mouth and falling on the pile after

the tackle was made, he would have never even been

heard from. He was mediocre at best.

2. Terry Rogers - Granted, he did get hurt. However, I don't think he lived up to

his hype. I realize it is difficult for a son of a Nebraska Great to

ever get out of the shadow, but he didn't even come close.

3. Scott Baldwin - He was a mental case from day one, and he never was a very

good tailback.

4. Doug Deboise - I think that's how you spell his name. I remember hearing all

these great things about him, but he never played. I think he

may have been injured, but I think most of his problems came

from steroid use. It was always rumored that is why he never

played.

obviously differnt perspectivs here. which IMO is one of the best parts of these boards. i like to see all angles.

and thanks steve for that excellent breakdown. learned some things I never knew

Others that are lost in the shuffle because they didn't do so well at NU were guys like Jason Richenberger (transferred), M.J. Flaum (Ranked as a four-star, top 20 lineman in the country, never played due to injury), Josh Mueller (5-star TE, ranked top five at his position in the country), Trev Alberts (four-star that was actually looked at, at one point to play fullback for NU before finally being put at OLB/RE) and of course, Johnny Mitchell who was also top five.

great insight!!! look fwd to reading more of your posts :worship

Back before the recruiting networks existed, Ahman Green was ranked by some of the services as the number one running back in the country.

Tony Ortiz was also ranked as the proverbial 5-star. Evans was a 4-star coming out of high school, but he had most of Barry Sanders' records.

In my estimation, Evans' success was certainly due to his talent, but outside of the center position, he was running behind nothing but fifth-year seniors. I would say my mother could get 500 hundreds in a season behind that line.

Manaia Brown was also a five-star coming out of high school, but his transfer obviously puts some sour grapes on that and Haloti Ngata had committed to Nebraska for a time and he was the highest ranked DT in the country.

Wistrom was ranked up there, but Shields was ranked amongst the best at his position when he came out.

Mike Rozier was ranked as the top junior college running back in the country when he came to NU. Dean Steinkuhler was considered one of the best linemen when he decided on Nebraska as was Zach Wiegert.

Josh Davis was ranked at one point as the fourth best running back in the country when he came out, Marcus Houston being ranked number one at the time.

Both Newcombe and Mike Brown were highly rated, each voted players of the year for their respective states their senior years and highly touted track stars as well.

And of course, Scott Frost was the second ranked dual-threat QB in the country, right behind eventual four-time Heisman winner, Ron Powlus. :)

Thats why rankings are a big guess and a big joke. Everyone say's oh my god we are going to be awesome now that we got Callahan getting all these awesome recruits. Well sure some might pan out but chances are half o them either are busts, transfer, or get hurt.

Rankings can be a very good reference for people that want to keep track of some of the top athletes around the country.

The problem most people get into, however, is thinking that the rankings are the and-all-be-all of what a player is worth.

There are far too many players in the country for anyone to look at on film. Or, any service for that matter.

There are far too many players for even all the colleges to find, despite their lofty connections.

Rankings are subjective and can be used as a guide, but the only way you will ever know for sure if this kid is worth his ranking or not is wait three to four years to find out.

That's just reality.

If recruiting rankings were totally accurate, coaches wouldn't have to do a thing. They would just look at the lists and recruit via that.

Exactly, its best to get just a few all stars and have quality team players around them. Otherwise you are like Texas and Miami and have the best talent but they are all selfish and want the ball and want to win heismans, etc. Osborne's classes never were ranked high if that tells you anything.