Best Recruit

gamecocks

I agree with the Ahman Green mention. I played HS ball against this guy, and he if you recall he just made everyone on the field look like Pop Warner players. Just another level all together.. and Im not sure there has been one in Nebraska since. I think the main reason he didnt get all that much hype was b/c he was pretty committed to NU from the beginning, so not many other big name schools pursued him. Had he gone through all the motions, on all the trips etc, his hype wouldve been through the roof.

OR consider if he was from Florida...? then would he have been an even bigger recruit?? Guess it depends on the point of this thread... are we judging recruits who had the most impact on the team - or biggest "steals" - as in damn we snatched Tommie from the depths of Florida.. or Neil Smith outta New Orleans... or Will Shields from OK...

Bernard,

You need to talk to some of the linemen who blocked for Touchdown Tommie. They all hated him as a person, but they respected him. I found it interesting as I went to UNL the same time as Tommie. In intramural basketball, Tommie had a team and Brook Beringer had a team. Tommie's team was ranked no. 1 in their league and Brook's was ranked number 2. Tommie's team was made up basically no names because very few of them were on the football team. Brook's team was made up of himself and most of the offensive linemen. If memory serves me correctly, they played each other twice. Brook's team stomped Tommie's team both times.

Tommie was a hell of a quarterback in Nebraskas system, but he was a jerk. I'm not sure, but I don't think Tommie was ever even voted a captain on the team. The fans loved him and probably the coaches, but the rest of the team never liked him.

Bernard,

You need to talk to some of the linemen who blocked for Touchdown Tommie. They all hated him as a person, but they respected him. I found it interesting as I went to UNL the same time as Tommie. In intramural basketball, Tommie had a team and Brook Beringer had a team. Tommie's team was ranked no. 1 in their league and Brook's was ranked number 2. Tommie's team was made up basically no names because very few of them were on the football team. Brook's team was made up of himself and most of the offensive linemen. If memory serves me correctly, they played each other twice. Brook's team stomped Tommie's team both times.

Tommie was a hell of a quarterback in Nebraskas system, but he was a jerk. I'm not sure, but I don't think Tommie was ever even voted a captain on the team. The fans loved him and probably the coaches, but the rest of the team never liked him.

I can also support junior's comments. I was on campus for Tommie's final year at NU, and had several experiences with him where I was less than impressed. His unpopularity and arrogant behvior were well documented. Personally I dont lend much credence to hearsay and second hand stories, but I heard so many bad stories about the guy from reliable sources that if even half were true, he's nothing short of a bona-fide ahole.

Junior - your comment about the intramural bball is interesting to me, b/c I also played during that same time, and remember seeing him and Brook's teams both play as well. The one thing that stood out to me was how horrible of a basketball player Tommie was. I wouldve thought that based on how good of an athlete he was on the football field that he would at least be able to "fake it" and look like he knew what he was doing on the hardwood - after all, it was intramural. But Im telling you, this guy had the most hideous shot... anyway, not important I know, but just shocking to me, and I actually lost a bit of respect for the guy as an athlete... which left me with very little for him overall, since my respect for him as a person was gone long before that.

Just my input.

Bernard,

You need to talk to some of the linemen who blocked for Touchdown Tommie.  They all hated him as a person, but they respected him.  I found it interesting as I went to UNL the same time as Tommie.  In intramural basketball, Tommie had a team and Brook Beringer had a team.  Tommie's team was ranked no. 1 in their league and Brook's was ranked number 2.  Tommie's team was made up basically no names because very few of them were on the football team.  Brook's team was made up of himself and most of the offensive linemen.  If memory serves me correctly, they played each other twice.  Brook's team stomped Tommie's team both times. 

Tommie was a hell of a quarterback in Nebraskas system, but he was a jerk.  I'm not sure, but I don't think Tommie was ever even voted a captain on the team.  The fans loved him and probably the coaches, but the rest of the team never liked him.

I can also support junior's comments. I was on campus for Tommie's final year at NU, and had several experiences with him where I was less than impressed. His unpopularity and arrogant behvior were well documented. Personally I dont lend much credence to hearsay and second hand stories, but I heard so many bad stories about the guy from reliable sources that if even half were true, he's nothing short of a bona-fide ahole.

Junior - your comment about the intramural bball is interesting to me, b/c I also played during that same time, and remember seeing him and Brook's teams both play as well. The one thing that stood out to me was how horrible of a basketball player Tommie was. I wouldve thought that based on how good of an athlete he was on the football field that he would at least be able to "fake it" and look like he knew what he was doing on the hardwood - after all, it was intramural. But Im telling you, this guy had the most hideous shot... anyway, not important I know, but just shocking to me, and I actually lost a bit of respect for the guy as an athlete... which left me with very little for him overall, since my respect for him as a person was gone long before that.

Just my input.

With those comments it's hard to believe he could get the job he has now.

That was before his job at Baylor and Tommie has said it himself when asked about what lessons he learned most from being at Baylor, to which he said, "How to be humble".

That's paraphrased, but only ever so slightly.

Baylor football is about as popular at Baylor as it is at Nebraska.

Few cover the team, even fewer care if they actually win and I haven't seen ANY that will support the team to the level they need it to even try to succeed with all the obstacles they have in their way.

If that doesn't make you humble, nothing will.

It did for him.