What does the Big Red need to do to beat Auburn?

overpursue? yes sometimes. but the lack of size seems to be the real problem. very undersized on the line and LBs. Sears was closer to normal LB size. Blackmon was a big hitter.

the defense relies on speed, with flying to the ball and gang tackling for the most part. counter plays could really hurt because of our speed.

i really hate our players got suspended of course, but i do respect tommy. if he didn't suspend them i would be embarassed because we would be acting like that other school in alabama.

Auburn fans: am I right in thinking that you guys have a hard time stopping the run when it's up the middle??? I know going to the outside you guys are too fast and we won't get nothing done there unless our big O-line knock your guys around.

Our DL is a bit on the small side. Maybe that's what you are talking about? If you guys want to call your coach and tell him to game plan around running up the middle all day, please go ahead. :)

We are OK at stopping the run. Not great, but OK. You are right about running outside. We are not the best at tackling sometimes, either.

If this goes back to the guy that saw us against Arkansas, and you are thinking "Darren McFadden ran up the middle on them all day".... just remember that kid was injured part of the season, and he came OUT OF NOWHERE and finished 2nd in the Heisman race above the ESPN glory-boy Brady Quinn after he was pimped all year by them.

That guy could run up the middle on anyone. He is a beast.

Yes we do overpursue at times and we do lack in the tackling dept as well. If you're big O line can get a push on our defense, it's going to be a tough game for us. I would just stick to the basics of running the ball to our weakest point on D. Don't try to get all fancy because our speed can recover quickly. Run the ball right at us and then try some misdirection to see if you can get us to overpursue. Occasionally throw the deep ball to keep our DB's and safeties back away from the line of scrimmage. Lacking the basic fundamentals hurt us this year. I'm sure Callahan and your Husker players see the same exact things we talk about here on film. I wouldn't be surprised if Nebraska kepted a simple game plan and just pound away at our defensive front.

Now as far as your defense. The question will be physical conditioning. Our offense has done a great job of winning the time of possession game in most games except Georgia. South Carolina did not get one play on offense in the 3rd quarter against us. We are not a quick strike team. We sustain long drives. The key will be to keep our offense on the sideline so we can't grind the game out.

Yes we do overpursue at times and we do lack in the tackling dept as well. If you're big O line can get a push on our defense, it's going to be a tough game for us. I would just stick to the basics of running the ball to our weakest point on D. Don't try to get all fancy because our speed can recover quickly. Run the ball right at us and then try some misdirection to see if you can get us to overpursue. Occasionally throw the deep ball to keep our DB's and safeties back away from the line of scrimmage. Lacking the basic fundamentals hurt us this year. I'm sure Callahan and your Husker players see the same exact things we talk about here on film. I wouldn't be surprised if Nebraska kepted a simple game plan and just pound away at our defensive front.

Now as far as your defense. The question will be physical conditioning. Our offense has done a great job of winning the time of possession game in most games except Georgia. South Carolina did not get one play on offense in the 3rd quarter against us. We are not a quick strike team. We sustain long drives. The key will be to keep our offense on the sideline so we can't grind the game out.

Well if Auburn was smart all they have to do is pass the ball and they'll become a quick strike team. :bang We seem to make average looking passing teams turn into Championship caliber teams after they play us. It's pretty pathetic and I hope that you guys don't come out passing like crazy or we are in for a long day!!!

First of all, it sounds like ol' Trev did a great job of not answering the question whatsoever....

Second, on defense, cut-backs and misdirection could go a long way against our quick LB's. And having a huge OL will help as well. But you must must must MUST keep our DE's in check. Not only are these guys quick and hard-hitting, but they have a way of getting in a QB's head. Taylor's good, and he seems pretty well composed, but you can tell when someone's got their mind on what's going on around him rather than down field and if our DE's get that advantage, the secondary will have a field day. On the defensive side you have got to put pressure on the QB. Esspeically if you have a weak secondary. Cox has the skill to pick apart defenses and I've only seen him get flustered twice... during the UGA game this year, and during the Wisconsin game last year (not even in his 4-INT first start against GT in 2005). Put the pressure on, however, and take the lead, and you will be sitting pretty. This is all only true if you can cover the run as well as you say you can. Kenny is a beast and he's been in hibernation all season. Without Lester, you don't have to worry as much because he was always underestimated and that gave him an advantage but Kenny will put up 200 even if you're expecting it. (See LSU 2005 - 218 yds). Finally, you have to get ahead and stay ahead. If the game is close (and I mean within 7) our kicking game could be what pushes us ahead. Not that NU's special teams are any kind of slouches, but you will be lucky to touch the ball on any kickoff. You will have to be on your toes to get more than 5 yds on a punt return, and our field goal range starts around the 35, although on a good day, i have faith that he could hit it from 60.

Well if Auburn was smart all they have to do is pass the ball and they'll become a quick strike team. :bang We seem to make average looking passing teams turn into Championship caliber teams after they play us. It's pretty pathetic and I hope that you guys don't come out passing like crazy or we are in for a long day!!!

yep, i am sure they have scouted our weak secondary real well......Coz will have to coach a flawless scheme for us to hold them in check....