Snowy Catch 22

Irregular News for 01.16.07

Denver, CO -- When 60-year-old Cynthia Roberson got a citation to for having snow on her sidewalk, she could not believe it.

And it's not because the disabled woman can’t physically move the frozen-over mess, but because she already paid someone to shovel her walkways.

“It was clean. It was done correctly,” Roberson said.

However, she said overnight Denver city plows scooped the snow back and buried her sidewalks. Now, the city has given her 24 hours to remove the snow or else she faces a fine of $150 for the first offense, $500 for the next one.

“I think it sucks. I mean this isn’t something I chose to do,” Roberson said.

The retiree said she’s on a fixed income, so it’s extremely difficult for her to either pay the fines or for someone to shovel her walks, again.

“You try to do, as a homeowner, what is required. I can’t keep paying people to fix what the city messes up,” Roberson said.

To make her even more upset, Roberson said even though her neighbors have the same problem, she is the only one cited by the city.

“If you’re going to give one notice, give out notices to everybody,” she said.

Neighbor Tammi Robson said no one should be receiving citations after what she calls poor snow removal by Denver Public Works.

“I think if they’re going to have leniency, then I think the city should have leniency as well,” Robson said.

Community Planning and Development Official Julius Zsako told 9NEWS that the city has already issued more than 900 citations. He said so far almost everyone has been cooperative.

Zsako said that if the city has put snow back on the sidewalk, residents will be given extra time. However, he said, they will still have to remove it.

That’s news Roberson does not want to hear.

“I just don’t think it’s fair,” she said.

Ann Williams of Denver Public Works says people can call 311 if they are suffering with disability to give their info to the city, and the city’s volunteer teams will clear snow off of their sidewalks and driveways.

Williams says the response may not be immediate, won’t happen within five hours, but it will happen.

Williams says the city will work with disabled Denver residents who were issued citations to avoid those fines.

source

My grandpa operated a snowplow for the City of Lincoln back in the day way way back and used to plow our street first out on 72nd and Fairfax. Then he would lift me up to the cab with the blade and take me to school. pretty cool for a 8 year old. I know everyone wanted to know that. :) Still had to shovel the snow though.

I used to hate snow plows when I was a kid because right when I would get done shoveling the driveway here the plow would come to cover up the end of it again!!!! :madash

I had the same thing happen to me....it drove me absolutely crazy!!!!

I always waited until after the snow plows came through.....of course it was easy because living in a small town on main street it didnt take long for the plows to do the street.....but I can see how that could be rather frustrating.