Weight Training

kc_husker

My experiences in this department are numerous. The most important thing is that he understand how and when to weight lift. His technique is vital. Use very light weight for at least a month, increasing very little as time goes on. The reasons are many, but most importantly obviously we don't want him to get hurt, secondly, there's no sense throwing up a lot of weight and then being sore for the next week, hence discouraging him from lifting. Also, getting a set schedule is important. Something like Monday and Friday upper body and Wednesday lower, and maybe two or three days of cardio, but I'm sure his team will help with that. I wouldn't go more than three days of lifting a week for starters, unless he takes off with it. Also, please check out websites, I know there are thousands of them on this topic.

I agree with Eric - and just wanted to stress one point he made. Technique is the single most important thing at his age. The amount of weight he lifts is far less important - build a good base first.

Also, and while it may seem silly, it would be a good idea to have him undergo a medical checkup. Since children develop at different rates, weight training can actually harm a child's growth or development. Far better to check now and get that out of the way.

I have been lifting since I was 16 years old however when I first started I really didn't know what I was doing so I have received two shoulder injuries from having the incorrect technique. I have had one shoulder fixed and now the other one is going to need to be fixed eventually. I have recently discovered a website called bodybuilding.com and they have forums in there for teenagers that are interested in lifting along with numerous other sections in those forums where you can get information as far as nutrition, workout plans, and exercise ideas. You can also get access to thousands of articles about different things pertaining to working out. The website is free so you can join it with no problem. It's helped me relearn a few things that I have forgotten over the years.

My workout right now consists of this: Monday;Chest Tuesday;(off school)Wednesday; Bi's and Tri's Thursday; Back and Shoulders and Friday; Legs and Abs. This is just a typical split workout and last week was my first week back to lifting on this schedule and I was really sore. Another workout that I have used is Monday,Wednesday,Friday; Chest,Bi's,Tri's and Tuesday,Thursday; Back,Shoulder,Abs,Legs. The only problem with this workout is you can overtrain very easily and that leads to more of a risk of injuring yourself. Make sure he gets his nutrition right because that is very important. Also, keep him away from any supplements right now at this young of age because he doesn't need them until he gets around 18 or 19.

Good luck building a future Husker!!! :bonez

• 2 weeks later...

Need alittle help. Our son is 13 years old will be in Junior High next year.

I played football through high school but the weight training wasnt forced

like it is now. Does anyone know a good work out routine that would be

good for him to start doing? Thanks

Depends on what you are going for. Him being 13 i would start out light weight, high reps and work on technique. From there you can work on adding bulk or speed or both.

KC, first as a buddy, and secondly as a footbal coach and weight-lifting instructor (you noticed I said "instructor", because my skinny ass ain't liftin')..... most of these replies are RIGHT ON THE MONEY....

Just in my opinion......technique is by far the most important thing (if not the ONLY thing he should worry about) at this point..... I would workk on light weight and technique for quite a while (3 months)... then begin increasing the weight very gradually.....

The other advice is to start slowly with the entire work-out.....the worst case is that you work too hard, because he is excited, and then wake up sore for the next few days.....soreness is the #1 reason people lose motivation....You don't want him to be sore..

Now, I know your son, and he won't let soreness slow him down, because he wants to succeed, but it will make it more "enjoyable" for him...

I am sure his coaches/pe teacher will have some ideas when he begins the school year and season...

I really don't even promote lifting until 2nd semester druing their 7th grade year.....then technique only....we begin to push pounds a little more during the summer and then especially late 1st semester 8th grade year.

This is all just my opinion.....obviously, nothing different than all of the above posts....Good Luck KC and young KC.....look forward to watching this kid grow and play all sports.....Most of all HAVE FUN !!!