Who really believes this?

To me it means the whole experience whether your a player or a fan.............it's stepping out from that tunnel and feeling the energy from the fans or if your a fan feeling the energy from the players. Soaking up every moment of the experience knowing that you may never feel that again!!! Whether you win or lose the game it's about the experience and the bonding that goes on with that experience. An example to me would be when we played Texas and we threw that half back pass and made a Touchdown..........I have never felt anything like that before. People hugging people they don't even know, screaming so loud it hurts your lungs!!! Then go from the emotional high to "the fumble" and hitting rock bottom. Still that game will never leave my memory. :horns2

Hell yeah, I was there, and you could diffinitely use that qoute to describe that game. :bonez

I went from hugging complete strangers to wanting to vomit.

i guess it's open to interpretation, so here is mine:

I don't see it as a take off on the "it's not wether you win or lose, but how you play the game". That's really about sportsmanship, which this doesn't say to me. This is more about the thrill of the hunt.

Now that i'm past my playing days (bball) the thing i miss most is not walking of the court after a win, but rather the act of competing against another player and team for a game and seeing how you stack up. I don't miss hitting a shot over a defener, i miss trying to set him up for a play and then executing it... and then him coming back and trying to do the same to me on the other end. I don't miss the times we knew we were gonna win late in the 4th quarter, i miss the times it was close and the suprises of what was coming on the next play.

One of the best memories i have is playing a pickup game some years latter and having to guard this guy who was shooting lights out... it was me and him back and forth for most of the game... couldn't afford to sleep on him for a second or he'd drain a shot inside the half court line... Of course we won, the fondest memories are the wins. But it isn't winning that i remeber, it was how competitive that was and how hard i had to work for us to win that game, and the lucky bounces that went our way. The fact i was up to the challenge that night is what was so great. It's not about winning (or losing), it's not about scoring points or getting interviewed in the town paper. It's the competition that i miss most. And in that sense i like the quote.

Not the victory but the action;

Not the goal but the game;

In the deed the glory

I think of the Orange bowl against Miami when Osborne went for the two point conversion. I'm pretty sure TO used the quote in "More than Winning". That book changed my whole perception of being a fan.

ahh there we go... good point. he went for the glory. he came up short, but at least he went for it.

Not the victory but the action;

Not the goal but the game;

In the deed the glory

I think of the Orange bowl against Miami when Osborne went for the two point conversion. I'm pretty sure TO used the quote in "More than Winning". That book changed my whole perception of being a fan.

Agreed.

I was too young to remember and appreciate it back then...but now, I understand that what Dr. Osborne did took cojones the size of Mt. Rushmore to do. And sometimes, you have to have those same size of cojones just to do the right thing in our daily lives.

Man, I wish I wasn't such an asshat when I was younger--I could had really stood to pay attention to the example Dr. Tom set earlier in my life. :lol: