Rotten Fruit

Irregular News for 02.23.07

Philadelphia, PA -- A Philadelphia school lunch-lady was suspended after tossing out hundreds of oranges she believed to be contaminated. While the school believes she was just a frustrated employee, she told CBS station KYW-TV in Philadelphia she was looking out for the best interest of the children.

"I felt as though children shouldn't have to eat any oranges that were contaminated as far as mold, brown spots or maybe even a white orange," said Loretta Allen.

Allen worked at the Cramp Elementary cafeteria in Kensington for seven years. Last October, she said she was concerned after receiving a shipment of produce.

"I threw away some cases of bad oranges that was delivered to my school," said Allen.

Officials said Allen threw away four cases totaling approximately 500 oranges. After disposing of the fruit, she said she was shocked by the principal’s actions.

"She (the principal) told me that I shouldn't have done it and I showed her…what the oranges looked like. I guess it didn’t matter to her, so she went into the dumpster and took she the oranges out," said Allen.

After sorting through the produce and removing the damaged items, the principal served the undamaged oranges to the children.

School district officials said did not follow proper protocol in the incident adding if the oranges were bad, the supplier should have replaced them.

"We could have gotten credit to have the oranges replaced by the manufacturer, to have fresh fruit brought in and even if they threw the food out, we normally would have held on to the food so you could show the manufacturer that it's bad food," said Felecia Ward of the Philadelphia School District.

Allen was suspended for three days, put on probation for a year and transferred to ShallCross, a disciplinary school for troubled students.

While Allen argues children were her concern, the school district alleges she just did not want to be at work and if that was the case she should have used one of her 109 sick days.

source