Arena Football

Again Damien Bauman? Sure he was on the 1998 and 1999 rosters but did he ever make the field. His name doesn't show up on the stat pages for either year and he wasn't on the five deep depth chart at TE. Was he the Rudy of Nebraska?

Never heard of him either...

UNO perhaps? :dunno

Saw Blake Lawrence at the game.

He was wearing a blackshirt T shirt and a husker hat.

:bonez:bonez

Sweet.....did ya talk to him?......Did ya ask him to sign your first born child? :lol:

No but at the time if I would have had some more beers

in me I would have gave him a hug

Again Damien Bauman? Sure he was on the 1998 and 1999 rosters but did he ever make the field. His name doesn't show up on the stat pages for either year and he wasn't on the five deep depth chart at TE. Was he the Rudy of Nebraska?

On the Brigade roster it says from Nebraska

On the Brigade roster it says from Nebraska

He was on the 1998 and 1999 Nebraska rosters. Not sure if he ever saw the field.

You can google Bauman's image and it brings him up, on a thumnail, but you can't paste it here for some reason. He's listed as a 6'3" 300 pounder who plays Offense and Defense, but evidentlyl he's mainly used as a Nose on Defense.

Still don't recognize him.

Not to turn this into a Damien Bauman thread....but to find out who he is....this may be the most press he ever received.

Daily Nebraskan - 1999

Strong corps of tight ends ready to fill Jackson's shoes

By: Josh Camenzind

Staff writer

Issue date: 8/24/99 Section: Sports

PrintEmail Article Tools Page 1 of 1

NEBRASKA TIGHT END T.J. DeBates points to the line of scrimmage Monday afternoon on the practice field behind UNL's Cook Pavilion.

JOSHUA EICKMEIER/DN

[Click to enlarge]

You might say the cupboard is full in the future of the Nebraska tight ends.

The departure of second-team All-American Sheldon Jackson left some seemingly large shoes to fill, but the NU coaching staff isn't worried. The Husker staff had to look no further than last year's backups to fill the void - and feel comfortable about it.

Senior T.J. DeBates and sophomore Tracey Wistrom step into the role as the No. 1 tight end. Both saw extensive action last year, and complement each other well.

DeBates is known for his blocking skills - the ability to switch into offensive lineman mode and put a defender on his back.

"Being a good blocker, it gives me a chance to get on the field, to fill a niche," DeBates said. "It is the most enjoyable part of the game for me, and I give 110 percent while doing it."

Wistrom, on the other hand, is known for his pass-catching skills. As a redshirt freshman last season, Tracey served as the No. 3 tight end and played an important role on the team, Receivers Coach Ron Brown said.

"Tracey is an excellent athlete with great speed and soft hands," Brown said. "He is very lean, but deceptively strong - a guy that is heady and courageous when he is on the field."

Behind DeBates and Wistrom lies a plethora of young talent, Brown said. Damien Bauman is a senior listed as the No. 2 tight end along with Aaron Golliday. Bauman has just one year of competition under his belt, but is a good fit into the Husker offense, Brown said.

"Damien is a strong guy who just needs to work on his technique a little bit," Brown said.

And Bauman is ready to work.

"I prefer the blocking aspect of the game even though most of the glory goes along with receiving," Bauman said. "My job is to pretty much make sure that those rush ends don't make it through the holes."

Brown also sees a bright future ahead of Aaron Golliday, a player he says has "tremendous ability."

"Aaron just needs to work on his confidence and intensity," Brown said. "He seems to turn it up in scrimmage situations, but we need to see that effort all the time."

Golliday did step up in the scrimmage Saturday, catching a touchdown pass from third-string quarterback Jay Runty.

Freshman Jon Bowling, listed third on the depth chart, is another young player showing promise for the Huskers, Brown said. He and Golliday redshirted together last season and both had an excellent spring, Brown said.

"Jon is a Sheldon-like receiver," Brown said. "He just needs to work on his strength and mass, but the tools to be successful are all there." Wistrom agreed.

"I believe that NU is set with tight ends for the time being," Wistrom said. "The young guys are picking up on things quickly, and Jon and Aaron are going to be very good."

Trevor Johnson, a true freshman from Lincoln Northeast, is also on the roster, but is probably headed for a redshirt season, Brown said.

"Right now, Trevor is just a young pup," Brown said. "But after we add some bulk to him, he will be one to watch in the future."

As the leader of this young group, DeBates said, he just tries to keep a relaxed atmosphere around the guys.

"I am laid back and like to keep it loose," DeBates said. "When you are young, you make mistakes. So by keeping everyone relaxed and not so tense, it seems to cut back on those mistakes."

And at this point, one mistake could mean the difference in a spot on the chart, Brown said.

"This is a potentially great position for us this year," Brown said. "We have a lot of skills that we can utilize, and the depth enables the competition to stay high. The depth chart is very close at this point, and a slip-up could mean a slip on the chart."

• 3 weeks later...