Callahan Interview

Sug,

I am not talking about extending contracts. I am talking about seeing light at the end of the tunnel. As you know I am a Big Frankie fan. Have been since I was in High School and well that is more years than we need to talk bout. But during the years he was head coach, I never felt we were dominant, never went into a game thinking this would be a rout. I never felt we had the talent to run the offense that Tom built. I did feel we were down on offensive talent and saw no change in progress. I felt and still feel recruiting is the most important thing to winning. I see marked improvement in that, not what I want yet, but with the wins that I think will come this year, the recruits will begin to sign with Nebraska. Our recruiting is good, but not great. To be where most on here want us to be it has to improve alot.

I still feel BC has another year after this one to put up or shut upt. BC never made those comments. He is only the employee, but I feel good about the program. Maybe even better than I felt with the past two coaches. There are no prima donnas on this team. You do what you are supposed to or hit the door. No slack for the talented. Do it right or you don't do it at all. Grade and graduation statistics seem to be imnproving or so I am told.

I think we have a coach that resembles the Bob father. I like his in your face attitutde. I like that he is not always politcally correct. I like that he will go to the floor his kids. His midwest attitude is needed.

even though you are a Marine skersfan, i agree with your outlook and insight to the teams progress and BC. I have some good feelings about this year on both sides of the ball. i wish i could be there to watch the spring game and see how things are progressing, but i will have to depend on my fellow board members to keep me informed.

Skers...

I too am a big fan of lil Frankie Solich. Came into my neighborhood and turned around a Holy Name team we would make a ton of fun of. Couldn't laugh at them anymore after he arrived. Been even a bigger fan of him since (was one of my heros as a player first, yeah I'm that old). Don't know if we made the right decision to fire him or not. Time will tell.

I shouldn't brought up the contract extension thing. Wasn't fair. Threw you a knuckle ball there.

Still this is Nebraska. Losing 5 a season won't cut it I think. Didn't for the last staff as they avg. better than 5 a yr. I don't think at the end of B.C's contract fans will be clamouring for him to stay should it continue this way. You are right... he has 3 seasons to get it done. Getting it done I think would be winning the conference or go BCS bowling for most. Then again with Pedersen, who knows what he is thinking.

Personally I see good and not so good W/B.C. Sometimes the staff reeks of inexperience IMO. Lets don't forget he really wasn't real experienced as a HC b4 he arrived. Can be stubborn as a mule (but what HC isn't). Sometimes he looks like a genuis, other times you are watching game and thinking "what da hell?!?!?! Sometimes I think he a better O.C. than a H.C> and should be one instead.

I also think the recruiting thing is overblown. Still gotta coach em and keep em. Keeping them has not been a Callahan era trait so far. So what good is a great recruit class when half of them leave in a yr or two. Besides we have done mighty well without top ten recruit classes in the past.

The book is still out yet. We could go either way with this.

Besides ... it aint about Still Bill. Its about guys like you watching our backs wherever you are stationed while we watch our games all cozy in our living rooms. For that I thank and salute you from a Viet Nam era vet who was fortunate enough to serve stateside during his stint while others paid the ultimate price in harms way. That also goes for you too Husker Rob if you are currently serving as well.

Ooooh-rah baby.

Sug,

Old retired Marine, some say retarded. I appreciate your kind coments, but Husker Rob deserves them now. I am a Viet Nam era Marine also. I left the Corps in 1991 after 26 years. Still follow the Marine Corps idea of Sempr Fi. I guess that is why I was so long on going away from Frank (the day he was fired) and why I am so devoted to BC. It gets in ya, and it don't ever go away.

And yes he was my high school idol. If it had not been for him my parents would never have let me play. Way to small back then. But If Frankie could do it, I wanted a chance. Unfortunately the talent was not there. Ed Podalac ended my career of playing football. He ran over my scrawny 130 pound butt and broke, my collar bone, scapula and cracked two vertabre. No more football for me. But played in the Corps in Okinawa and El Toro. Got bigger I guess.