Nicks at LT

ljs

Nicks switches to 'money spot' at left tackle

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Friday, Mar 23, 2007 - 08:42:48 am CDT

If there exists such a thing as a glamorous position along the offensive line, it’s arguably the tackle assigned to protect the quarterback’s blind spot while he’s throwing the ball.

In Nebraska’s case, since the Husker quarterbacks are right-handed, that’s the left tackle.

“That’s where all the money’s at,” said Nebraska senior Carl Nicks, referring to handsomely paid NFL left tackles that protect even richer quarterbacks.

The 6-foot-5, 330-pound Nicks hopes he someday becomes a millionaire NFL tackle. For now, he gladly settles for trying to lock down a starting job as Nebraska’s left tackle as the Huskers plow through the early stages of spring practice.

“It’s a challenge,” said Nicks, who started two of the final three games last season at right tackle after struggling to learn the playbook during his first season on campus. “I’ve got to step up. Coach (Bill) Callahan said it’d be a good challenge for me at left tackle and that he likes to put the best athlete there, so I figure that’s a compliment for me.

“If he has faith in me like that, I’m bound to do good there.”

Said Nebraska offensive line coach Dennis Wagner: “I would anticipate and hope that Carl takes over that left tackle position and becomes a dominant player in the Big 12 Conference.”

Last season, as Nebraska finished with a 9-5 record, junior Chris Patrick made 12 starts at left tackle. However, the 6-4, 290-pound Patrick announced earlier this month that he plans to enter the NFL Supplemental Draft in July, paving the way for Nicks’ position switch.

Callahan said he wants to see Nicks “anchor down” the edge of the offensive line to give the quarterback plenty of time in the pocket.

“The main thing is being more solid and really forcing rushers to come a little wider,” the coach said. “I think our corner got short a few times last season. We’re trying to improve that technique of our pass (protection).”

Patrick was known to have a motor that almost always ran hot — a tenacious competitor.

“We’re both pretty explosive and violent,” Nicks said. “But I have a little more body weight behind it.”

Nicks arrived at Nebraska last summer as a four-star prospect from Hartnell (Calif.) Junior College. He encountered immediate difficulty learning his assignments. The playbook was much more complex than he expected, he said.

Consequently, his hesitancy on the field kept him from consistently unleashing his athleticism. He said he underachieved to a large degree.

“You’re out there slowing up because you’re second-guessing yourself,” Nicks said. “You’re like, ‘Do I have this guy (to block)? Or do I have that guy?’ Once you know your guy, you’re just flying out there.”

Said Wagner, “The reason Carl played toward the end of the season was he got a grasp of our offense. He knew how to function.”

As for Nicks’ physical prowess, “He’s going to be as good as he wants to be. He has tremendous feet for his size. He’s very athletic. He can run. And because he’s starting to understand, he can play faster.”

If Nebraska were to begin the season today, the offensive line starters likely would be Nicks at left tackle, junior Andy Christensen at left guard, senior Brett Byford at center, junior Matt Slauson at right guard and junior Lydon Murtha at right tackle.

“I feel great about those first five guys,” said Wagner, who anticipates a strong return in the fall from guard Mike Huff (Achilles tendon) and tackle Jacob Hickman (knee). Hickman, who can play either side, actually may be cleared to participate in practice later in the spring, though coaches won’t rush him, Wagner said.

Playing right tackle last season, Nicks and 11-game starter Slauson did their share of run blocking. Nebraska ran the majority of its running plays to the right side.

“You kind of just smacked people,” Nicks said. “On the left side, you use a little more finesse. But I think I can do it.”

This season, Nicks said, Nebraska might run more running plays to the left “because everyone knows we went to the right side. So I guess Callahan’s whole plan is to mix it up, run more to the left, and make it more balanced.”

Consequently, “I’ll be getting my nose dirty a lot.”

Of course, Nicks’ main task is keeping the quarterback from getting dirty.

“We have to protect our quarterback with everything we’ve got,” he said.