No. 1 v Scrubs

I said it is a fun idea. Who said that this cant be a fun experience. I understand the point of the game, and giving the lesser players a chance to shine. But lets be honest. That "game" was brutal. There were very little chances to shine. It seems to me, that if you even out the teams a little (not 1s versus 2s but relatively even) you would have more competition. Competition can only help the program. I saw quite a few "white" players hustling at the end of the game, but i also saw some mailing it in. I dont care who you are, that was demeaning. IMO if we even out the teams it would raise the level of things. I think that this might just make the players better.

As far as having honorary coaches? Why not...if they are guided by real coaches then whats the harm? If they have total control of the offense, well thats just plain stupid. But a little bit of play calling...why not. It might improve relations from the team (what about make a wish kids) and be a little bit of a draw. Could it really be that bad?

I said it is a fun idea. Who said that this cant be a fun experience. I understand the point of the game, and giving the lesser players a chance to shine. But lets be honest. That "game" was brutal. There were very little chances to shine. It seems to me, that if you even out the teams a little (not 1s versus 2s but relatively even) you would have more competition. Competition can only help the program. I saw quite a few "white" players hustling at the end of the game, but i also saw some mailing it in. I dont care who you are, that was demeaning. IMO if we even out the teams it would raise the level of things. I think that this might just make the players better.

As far as having honorary coaches? Why not...if they are guided by real coaches then whats the harm? If they have total control of the offense, well thats just plain stupid. But a little bit of play calling...why not. It might improve relations from the team (what about make a wish kids) and be a little bit of a draw. Could it really be that bad?

Notre Dame also does the honorary captains. Could add some fun and if the names are big, might help recruiting. Of course letting them call plays (beyond saying "throw the ball to Purify here") seems going a little too far.

I heard of schools letting ast. coaches draft thier teams for the spring game. Sandy Buda had split the squad up early in camp once and went red/white without a depth chart.

Players back in the day used to always call the majority of the plays. So thats nothing new. Callahan has been calling plays for how long? He doesn't need practice doing that. Not at this point. Let the assistants and the players call their own game. Then maybe critique their performance afterwards. Its a good experience for coaches (im sure each one of them are pointing to the day they have that duty) and the players can learn a great deal in doing so.

Its a spring game people! The practices leading up to it are hard work. Reward the squad and make the game fun for staff and players! If gimmicks do this ... do it! If it can garner interest and put butts in the seats... go for it! Its just one game that doesn't count, one practice. The 14 leading up to the game are more important in terms in getting things taught and learning about your team.