fire callahan

I just don't get where Callahan is going to come in, and improve things with an offense that is radically different from what we've been running for eons...

Does he think he's the "offensive genius" that is going to bring us to the promised land...

I think not...

Callahan has to go, bottom line.  They've hosed themselves when they didn't hire Pelini, who I thought would have been the best choice...

So in essence you are saying that our players are unable to grasp any other concept other than running the ball and the occasional pass? That somehow somewhere the option game is written in stone tablets on some bluff somewhere in western Nebraska? C'mon...

Firing Callahan now would put the team in an even worse state. They have been focusing on this new system for a year now and to rip that away in the middle of the season would not be the best move.

Let's say you do fire him. What's next? Do you think if Turner or Bo came back to the game we would instantly, overnight, start winning games by 40+ points? Seems a bit unrealistic to me, but that's what you are expecting this year out of the new coaching staff.

With as much change that's involved I think you have to give him until the end of the year into next year. To at least get players in that HE recruited for this system.

Pelini wouldn't have been a good head coach. He used to be my favorite but the more I thought about it in the months after the more I realized he is too much of a hot head to be a head coach. If he would have been a good head coach, then why didn't anyone go after him? There were some head coaching jobs available at the time, if I remember correctly.

I have to agree with Dave. Even if you arent a Callahan fan you have to admit ditching him now would just maximize our losses. Think about it, if you are a Kerry fan - which something tells me many of you are - and he is elected Pres, will you be ready to ditch him after the first year when the economy doesnt immedialy turn around? No. Why? Because you realize it is probably still stupid ass Clintons fault. :blink:

I just think Callahan should've never been hired to begin with...

All he is a big name, that's it. Anybody watch the superbowl he coached a couple of years ago?

He kept throwing the ball, and digger the Raiders in a deeper and deeper hole. He should have run the ball to set up the pass...

It is too late now to fire him, we're stuck with him for awhile...

You think i'm jumping the gun? You think we got lit up by Texas Tech? Imagine what Oklahoma will do against our crap a$$ offense, november 13th...

I just think Callahan should've never been hired to begin with...

All he is a big name, that's it.  Anybody watch the superbowl he coached a couple of years ago?

He kept throwing the ball, and digger the Raiders in a deeper and deeper hole.  He should have run the ball to set up the pass...

It is too late now to fire him, we're stuck with him for awhile...

You think i'm jumping the gun?  You think we got lit up by Texas Tech?  Imagine what Oklahoma will do against our crap a$$ offense, november 13th...

I suppose the Raiders GOT to the super bowl that year by luck, either way it doesn't really apply here IMO.

Yes, Yes, Yes. We will get spanked by Oklahoma no doubt. Everyone knows that. Find something else.

Look at the team he inherited...

Not too mention luck played a big part of it. The senior citizens he had on that team played like they did 10 years ago.

Sorry, if i'm not jumping on the Callahan bandwagon, but I think he makes terrible decisions...

Case in point, 4th quarter in the Pitt game. There's 5 minutes left to go, we're up by a touchdown and he throws the ball on first down??? What the hell was he thinking about.

Find something else? So you take pleasure in knowing that we're going to get the everloving crap beaten out of us by OU? Since we're in the Big 12, and don't play them every year, when we do, I would like to beat them. I guess the fact that I get upset about "giving up the booty" to OU makes me a bad fan, then so be it...

Look at the team he inherited...

Not too mention luck played a big part of it.  The senior citizens he had on that team played like they did 10 years ago.

Sorry, if i'm not jumping on the Callahan bandwagon, but I think he makes terrible decisions...

Case in point, 4th quarter in the Pitt game.  There's 5 minutes left to go, we're up by a touchdown and he throws the ball on first down???  What the hell was he thinking about.

Find something else?  So you take pleasure in knowing that we're going to get the everloving crap beaten out of us by OU?  Since we're in the Big 12, and don't play them every year, when we do, I would like to beat them.  I guess the fact that I get upset about "giving up the booty" to OU makes me a bad fan, then so be it...

The years he served as offensive coordinator for the Raiders don't count (1998-2002)? He had nothing to do with getting those players and the team to where they were when he became head coach in 2002

I guess the Coach of the Year honors he earned there were a result of the team he interited also?

If you don't like him, that's fine. Great. But saying he absolutely sucks as a coach is also saying everything he has done as a coach sucks. Including winning a SuperBowl.

Dude, I don't like the fact that we are going to get beat by OU either but what are WE going to do about it. We as in you and me?

FYI, some interesting commentary on the 2003 Raiders

Callahan lost support of players, management followed suit

The Raiders have fired second-year head coach Bill Callahan one season after reaching the Super Bowl, following a 4-12 record, the team's worst since that same mark in 1997. Flaps with Rich Gannon and Charles Woodson didn’t help Callahan’s case, but the team’s season-long performance made Callahan’s dismissal an easy call for Al Davis.

PFW: Where did the franchise take a wrong turn?

Reynolds: Gannon pointed to adjustments teams made late last season and into the playoffs that the coaching staff simply never countered. Players disagreed with the lack of discipline and approach in exacting discipline practiced by Callahan. The problems didn’t start with Callahan. Players privately had criticized Jon Gruden and some made those feelings public upon Gruden’s departure in 2002. There are clear battle lines in the locker room, and between players and coaches. The new coaching staff has to push for a reconfiguration of the roster. If the Raiders have to, as the Ravens did two years ago, take their lumps for another season to rebuild, Davis has to bite the bullet and do that.

Many offensive players were sour on offensive changes made by Callahan in his rookie season as head coach, alterations to Gruden’s system that all but ignored the running game. The Raiders made adjustments once Gannon went down in Week Seven. Prior to that point, the Oakland offense produced 19.5 running plays per game.

Now Gannon, who will be 38 next season, believes wholesale changes must be made saying, “I wouldn’t say I’d take a torch to the place, but it wouldn’t be far from that. It’s going to take special people to turn this thing around.”

Certainly there is truth in Gannon’s sentiments, but he — along with RB Charlie Garner, WR Jerry Rice, WR Tim Brown and FS Rod Woodson — could be classified as part of the problem. The Raiders have several key personnel decisions to make. Garner has one year remaining on his contract but slowed significantly this season. If history tells his story, as it did for Rice, Brown and Gannon this season, the Raiders may be better suited to cut ties now. Gannon is owed $7 million in 2004, a number he’ll likely agree to renegotiate unless he believes he can land another job. With Gruden looking for another veteran to challenge Brad Johnson in Tampa Bay, don’t be surprised if Gannon sails eastward. Rice and Brown have hinted they would like to return. They would be fine as No. 3 and 4 receivers, but neither will accept that diminished role, further rocking a ship that has been tipped too many times in the last 12 months.

Much more complicated than "He sucks, let's get rid of him."

Find something else? So you take pleasure in knowing that we're going to get the everloving crap beaten out of us by OU? Since we're in the Big 12, and don't play them every year, when we do, I would like to beat them. I guess the fact that I get upset about "giving up the booty" to OU makes me a bad fan, then so be it...

Dave knows, along w/ everybody else here, that we're gonna be killed by OU. OK so imagine that Frankie's not fired. We still are going to be destroyed by OU. WE DON'T HAVE THE ATHLETES THAT THEY DO. IMO Callahan is bringing in better athletes already and he hasn't even been here one year. The reason we don't have the athletes is the former staff's fault not Callahan's.

That's a nice call with the commentary. But the whole thing is, in pro ball, if you're star player who's making, for example, 20 million a year, disagree's with a coach who's making 2 million a year, for the most part, management will back the player.

He never won a superbowl. He got them to the Superbowl in 2002, where the Silver and Black, got utterly humiliated by the Tampa Bay Bucs. I remember at one point John Lynch, walking past Gruden, and saying something of the effect to, that the raiders are playing exactly like they thought they would. I watched that game, throwing many things at the TV, wondering why won't he run the freakin ball...

What it boils down to is, the way he's running the show is killing me...

That's a nice call with the commentary. But the whole thing is, in pro ball, if you're star player who's making, for example, 20 million a year, disagree's with a coach who's making 2 million a year, for the most part, management will back the player.

He never won a superbowl. He got them to the Superbowl in 2002, where the Silver and Black, got utterly humiliated by the Tampa Bay Bucs. I remember at one point John Lynch, walking past Gruden, and saying something of the effect to, that the raiders are playing exactly like they thought they would. I watched that game, throwing many things at the TV, wondering why won't he run the freakin ball...

Ok now you're just splitting hairs with the winning or not winning a Superbowl. No point in going any further.

A lot of people share your sentiment and hopefully in the years to come we will all get along again :)

There are some similarities. Gotta admit Dave the Huskers aren't exactley playing with a great deal of pride and emotion. I don't know if this has anything to do with Callahan or not. Hope not. walksalone might have something here.

That's a nice call with the commentary.  But the whole thing is, in pro ball, if you're star player who's making, for example, 20 million a year, disagree's with a coach who's making 2 million a year, for the most part, management will back the player.

He never won a superbowl.  He got them to the Superbowl in 2002, where the Silver and Black, got utterly humiliated by the Tampa Bay Bucs.  I remember at one point John Lynch, walking past Gruden, and saying something of the effect to, that the raiders are playing exactly like they thought they would.  I watched that game, throwing many things at the TV, wondering why won't he run the freakin ball...

There are some similarities. Gotta admit Dave the Huskers aren't exactley playing with a great deal of pride and emotion. I don't know if this has anything to do with Callahan or not. Hope not. walksalone might have something here.

Yea, I can't deny that.

Like I said in my other post, nobody's scared of us anymore. And it's tough to be scared of the West Coast Offense...

I remember the time when we played smashmouth, grind their guts into the mud, football. Not this mamby pamby crap we see now.

It was about time of possesion, and rushing for at least a couple hundred yards.

It's tough to be scared of a team that just had their butts handed to them by a middle of the pack big 12 team.

Next week, they'd better come out, and absolutely destroy Baylor. Not saying that's a great feat, but they need this horrible loss to really p*ss them off. Light a fire under them. Use this as a catalyst for the rest of the season.

If they just go into every game from here on out, with a nothing to lose attitude, then, they might be worth watching. But if Callahan isn't able to channel this energy, then hopefully his tenure here, won't be long...

Callahan is TERRIBLE, SP is Terrible... However...

If they would have hired Bo, then I would have been much happier.  How in the hell are you going to install the west coast craptastic offense, into a system that's been running the ball, successively, might I add, since christ was a corporal...

He needs to get the hell outta nebraska...

You do it with the right players and time. We have time,whether you want to admit it or not, but we don't have all the right players yet. Don't tell me it's not possible because that's BS.

It's not impossible but it sure as hell aint easy and just getting good athletes in here isn't going to cut it. You have to know how to run the thing and you have to know how to teach the kids to run it and you have to figure out a way to signal it in and you have to know how to coach every aspect of the game instead of just calling plays. Callahan stinks imo.