Why I'm glad Callahan's my coach (sic)

AP) -- Nebraska has never looked this bad.

Texas Tech handed the Cornhuskers the worst loss in their storied 114-year history Saturday night, with Sonny Cumbie throwing for 436 yards and five touchdowns in a 70-10 win.

``I'm very disappointed in our team's effort,'' first-year coach Bill Callahan said

This is something i'm glad happened in my lifetime...

Sad.  Hopefully there was a quote in that article about how he's disappointed in how the coaches performed as well.  Although I dont blame everything on the coaches, its equally unfair to say some crap like that without taking some accountablitity yourself.

I agree. I am sure there could be changes on both sides to make the end result better. It doesn't get much worse than yesterday.

But thats not the art where Callahan said the players sucked. This sounded better from Cos

`It's obvious from watching the tape what went wrong,'' Cosgrove said. ``Corrections need to be made, and we have to make sure it doesn't happen again. It was a great learning experience for all of us.''

Cosgrove didn't think his players gave up as the score began to spiral out of control.

``I can't say we had bad effort,'' he said. ``We had guys playing with effort. Could we have played better? Absolutely.''

Thats more like it. But I still want to see the one with Callys quotes. Hopefully he seriously doesnt think its only the playres faults. Does the line "we have to be the stupidest team in america" sound familiar... :(

But thats not the art where Callahan said the players sucked. This sounded better from Cos
`It's obvious from watching the tape what went wrong,'' Cosgrove said. ``Corrections need to be made, and we have to make sure it doesn't happen again. It was a great learning experience for all of us.''

Cosgrove didn't think his players gave up as the score began to spiral out of control.

``I can't say we had bad effort,'' he said. ``We had guys playing with effort. Could we have played better? Absolutely.''

Thats more like it. But I still want to see the one with Callys quotes. Hopefully he seriously doesnt think its only the playres faults. Does the line "we have to be the stupidest team in america" sound familiar... :(

He doesn't take much of the blame thats for sure. Cosgrove don't know his head from his butt imo. You got them figured out after watching the film??? You should have figured out after 2 scores that rushing 3 wasn't going to work and the one series you rushed more and did some blitzing they punted it away.

Well no one has figured out Tech all year, and I doubt anyone will. You could have rushed five or six, but then their speed would have scored on every play. They had the scheme and excuted it so well.

The only teams to beat them, won the turnover game. We didn't do that, and Tech won. (Gee, that happens in most FB games-you make less mistakes, you win.)

We had some hurries, but not enough. Eight back didn't work, seven didn't, six killed us, and having nine back would have given all day to shred us.

Against UNM (Tech's first loss) they shot themselves in the foot, and were just beginning to gel. It would have been a victory if not for a late UNM turnover. UNM has an extra bonus of playing in the somewhat pass happy Mountain West. (The Lobos get to face such daunting foes as Utah, Wyoming, and Colorado State. They have seen 55 passes a game before.)

To Nebraska's credit, they sure see a lot of reps against a West Coast Offense; the WCO isn't a fun and gun a la Spurrier and Mouse Davis.

Cos and Cal will make Reilly pay-next season very dearly. In the meantime, the Red Raider faithful can look forward to San Diego and the Holiday Bowl if all goes well.

The Tangerine wants Nebraska I hear. Well, the ACC loves the pass, so keep this tape close and get out your scouting sheets. We could need these adjustments.

By the way, what adjustments, using the players and coaches we have available, would any of you have made.

I discounted M2M immediately. A three deep and two out (covering the sideline leaves you 2-3 guys to go M2M with threat du jour. I'd have sent a few more blitzes (and doubled up a lot more-but remember with that risk you have to play M2M into the zone coverage-something we are not used to.) Zones don't work and we didn't have the Man personnel.

Given the short field position and lack of momentum, I would have been forced to endure and recover much like the coaches did today. Not pretty but since the players were confused, I'm not sure what else could have been done.

Hopefully Baylor doesn't install a fun and gun this week. We will be in trouble.

If you watched the callahan show, you would notice that everytime we rushed 5 or 6 they didn't do anything and we got a rush and we held them.

Also, I'd say okie's defense did a pretty salty job against them. Yes ttech is going to get yards but you can keep them from the endzone.

I watched the first half last night on the Callahan show. We did do some good things on offense in the first half but we just couldn't finish off a drive. A catch here or a run there and it could have been 14-14 at half time. Of course, the second half is a different story and I went to bed before that started :)

See, the whole ball control thing, I think, would have been key, in slowing them down.

Ball Control, turnovers and penalties would of made this game totally different. Would we of won, it depends on what we could of done in the first half, but we would of had a shot at it. Our coaches need to start teaching these kinds of things to the players.