We need to be able to run a 3-4 as well as a 5-2, depending on the opponent and our personnel.

Back in 1996, I talked to Charlie McBride about running a 3-4 just to get Mike Rucker in the game with Tomich and Wistrom. He thought it a better idea to move Tomich to play at DT. But he never did it.

So, he left an NFL player on the sidelines at least half the game.

You shouldn't do that.

Do we have the backers for a 3-4? If Dillard is good to go, you have to think so. Is Suh enough of a monster in the middle to make it work? I say let's find out.

You must use your best personnel. This year our linebacker personnel have the edge of the front four.

We've had problems in the past leaving guys like Terrell Farley, DeMorrio Williams, and Mike Rucker on the sideline too much.

The problem as I see it is the fact that we don't have LB's with the kind of speed like Farley or Williams. Our LB's may be athletic, but we don't have barn burning speed there. In order to run the 3-4 affectively, you need lots of speed at the LB position.

The problem as I see it is the fact that we don't have LB's with the kind of speed like Farley or Williams. Our LB's may be athletic, but we don't have barn burning speed there. In order to run the 3-4 affectively, you need lots of speed at the LB position.

Agreed.

What we are really missing is the linebacker/safety hybrid, who cruises along about 6'2" and weighs 210.

We lost Reggie Smith to the Sooners.