50 Most Devastating Sports Hits

I believe it was the 95 bowl game against Florida.

The florida return guy just caught the ball, an instant later two huskers leveled him, dislocating (or breaking?) his hip.

The highlights of that hit were insane.

That hit ranks right up there with the Joe Thiesman/Lawrence Taylor hit.

1996 Fiesta Bowl. Jacquez Green. Owie.

Two come to mind for me. Miami LB John Vilma unloading on one of our recievers in the Rose Bowl. The other was Crouch and Reed going mano to mano along the sidelines in the same game. Both got up and laughed at each other.

One of my favorite NFL hits is the 76 Superbowl when Oak Saf Jack Tatum blindsided Minn. WR Sammy White in the back after a catch and Sammy's helmet flew about 10 yds (how did he hang onto that ball?).

Then again there's Dick Butkus. If you are old enough to remember seeing him play... you seen hits like these every game.

Two come to mind for me. Miami LB John Vilma unloading on one of our recievers in the Rose Bowl. The other was Crouch and Reed going mano to mano along the sidelines in the same game. Both got up and laughed at each other.

One of my favorite NFL hits is the 76 Superbowl when Oak Saf Geo. Atkinson blindsided Minn. WR Sammy White in the back after catch and Sammy's helmet flew about 10 yds (how did he hang onto that ball?).

Then again there's Dick Butkus. If you are old enough to remember seeing him play... you seen hits like these every game.

Scott Hill knocking out Tony Dorsett when they came to Norman in 74,

Here's the hit by Tom Ruud on Kelly Phelps. As I recall, the ref was so stunned by the hit that he called the runner down. That was the closest TO ever went to really losing it on the sidelines.

Tom Ruud lays out Kelly Phelps

It is commonly - but wrongly - stated that the ref blew the ball dead early on that hit.

However, the ref did NOT blow the ball dead. He blew Phelps dead. Pretty much right on time.

Jason White. That's it.

When he was stumbling around I was actually worried about the guy.

I second that, that was a pretty vicious (but clean) hit. No matter who the opponent is, you never want to see someone get brain damage. Which obviously didn't happen as he smoked everyone 2 years later (except USC).

link to Jason white hit????

I don't have one right off hand, but I think if you go to YouTube you can search the OU/NU game in 2001 highlights or something of the sort.

If I recall correctly, and so far I have, I don't think Jason White was actually hit that hard, but rather he twisted his knee on the way out, or out of bounds.

Frank Solich used to say that if you deliver the hit as a runner instead of merely taking one, you will not get hurt, and you won't fumble.

I was referring to the hit where the QB got up and just wobbled, then fell back down. Or was that Nate Hybl? You know what, that was Hybl wasn't it?

But you're right, it was just how he kinda hopped when he threw the pass and when he came down on it, it just tweaked odd and he crawled to the sidelines.

I was referring to the hit where the QB got up and just wobbled, then fell back down. Or was that Nate Hybl? You know what, that was Hybl wasn't it?

But you're right, it was just how he kinda hopped when he threw the pass and when he came down on it, it just tweaked odd and he crawled to the sidelines.

It was Hybl. Was hit as he was delivering the ball by that DE that played on the otherside of Thomas. Can't remember his name, the big guy. It was borderline late as many Sooner fans will testify.

Always felt White was hurt on a play he as scrambling on before he actually left the game. He was smacked pretty good along the sidelines and when he got up he looked pale as a ghost and testing his knee a lil. On the play when he left the game, no one hit hit him. He kinda landed funny as he made a cut on the sidelines while throwing the ball.

I still think Hybl played the rest of that game with a concussion.

The hit was on a block though. Fonoti put a pancake on Calmus then jumped on top of him afterwards that made me laugh. Calmus got up complaining to refs. This was right after he alledgedly tugged on our PRet ankle causing some strife. Game was rough all right. A instant classic (thinking about the Heisman play where Crouch caught the dbl reverse pass).