Top 100 Iconic Moments in College Football

ROAD KILL

Lincoln, Neb. | Oct. 4, 1980

Florida State linebacker Paul Piurowski forced a fumble, recovered by Garry Futch, in the final seconds and the underdog Seminoles stunned No. 3 Nebraska, 18-14. Husker fans gave the Seminoles a standing ovation as they left the field, and Florida State fans everywhere date their program's rise under Bobby Bowden from beleaguered to the big leagues from this road victory.

Sure it hurt when it happened, but has to be one of the proudest moments of the Husker family.

ROAD KILL

Florida State linebacker Paul Piurowski forced a fumble, recovered by Garry Futch, in the final seconds and the underdog Seminoles stunned No. 3 Nebraska, 18-14. Husker fans gave the Seminoles a standing ovation as they left the field, and Florida State fans everywhere date their program's rise under Bobby Bowden from beleaguered to the big leagues from this road victory.

Sure it hurt when it happened, but has to be one of the proudest moments of the Husker family.

We treated really well, however it will be a cold day in hell before Florida State makes a return trip to Lincoln.

ROAD KILL

For some reason..It Didn't hurt that much..I just remember being proud of the rest of our fans for showing appreciation for a great effort.

Most surprising one so far: That Alabama was not integrated yet in 1970.

Is that a misprint? My Wife was a year old.

FORWARD PROGRESS

Birmingham, Ala. | Sept. 12, 1970

Sam Cunningham rushed for 135 yards and three touchdowns in No. 3 USC's 42-21 victory over No. 16 Alabama in Birmingham to open the 1970 season. Years later, Bear Bryant was quoted as saying, "Cunningham did more for integration in Alabama in 60 minutes than Martin Luther King Jr." Few remember that Cunningham's backfield mate Clarence Davis, who scored twice, grew up in Birmingham. The next year, Bryant integrated his team.

ROAD KILL

We treated really well, however it will be a cold day in hell before Florida State makes a return trip to Lincoln.

I was at that 1980 FSU game as a UNL student. Aside from the standing ovation, I remember it being weirdly silent as everyone shuffled out of Memorial with the loss.

***SNIP***

FORWARD PROGRESS

Sam Cunningham rushed for 135 yards and three touchdowns in No. 3 USC's 42-21 victory over No. 16 Alabama in Birmingham to open the 1970 season. Years later, Bear Bryant was quoted as saying, "Cunningham did more for integration in Alabama in 60 minutes than Martin Luther King Jr." Few remember that Cunningham's backfield mate Clarence Davis, who scored twice, grew up in Birmingham. The next year, Bryant integrated his team.

That's correct. In fact, there is a lot of speculation in the SEC that Bryant deliberately scheduled that game for just that purpose - that he was able to use the score to force the Alabama board to permit integration to remain competative in football. I seem to recall there was recently a book published about it, but for the life of me I can't recall the name. Perhaps some of our board members living in Alabama can provide that.

OUTRAGEOUS FORTUNE

Columbia, Mo. | Nov. 8, 1997

Some teams win it all. Others seem tapped by Fate. No. 1 Nebraska, trailing Missouri 38-31, had :07 remaining to go the final 12 yards. As Scott Frost's end-zone pass caromed off receiver Shevin Wiggins' hands, and then his foot, Tiger fans began celebrating. With a grass-top dive, freshman Matt Davison cradled the carom for a touchdown. Nebraska won in overtime, 45-38, and went on to a share of the national title.

the video

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/ivp/in...p;catname=ESPNU

#47 no so nice

TWICE AS NICE

Miami | January 1, 1994

In 1993, Bobby Bowden finally won his first national championship -- twice. Florida State went ahead of Nebraska 18-16 in the Orange Bowl on Scott Bentley's 22-yard field goal with :21 left. The Huskers drove to the Seminole 28 but time ran out. Cheers! Gatorade bath! Hold on! The officials put one second back on the clock. The decision caught Husker kicker Byron Bennett by surprise, too. He missed wide left.

OUTRAGEOUS FORTUNE

Columbia, Mo. | Nov. 8, 1997

Some teams win it all. Others seem tapped by Fate. No. 1 Nebraska, trailing Missouri 38-31, had :07 remaining to go the final 12 yards. As Scott Frost's end-zone pass caromed off receiver Shevin Wiggins' hands, and then his foot, Tiger fans began celebrating. With a grass-top dive, freshman Matt Davison cradled the carom for a touchdown. Nebraska won in overtime, 45-38, and went on to a share of the national title.

the video

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/ivp/in...p;catname=ESPNU

Still gives me chills. I will never forget that play

***SNIP***

FORWARD PROGRESS

That's correct. In fact, there is a lot of speculation in the SEC that Bryant deliberately scheduled that game for just that purpose - that he was able to use the score to force the Alabama board to permit integration to remain competative in football. I seem to recall there was recently a book published about it, but for the life of me I can't recall the name. Perhaps some of our board members living in Alabama can provide that.

I emailed Maisel about that. Bryant absolutely did not say that. Instead, it was one of his assistants, Jerry Claiborne. Oddly, the only reason I know that is because I saw it some time ago during an .... ESPN segment.