kicking game question

yeah, i thought congdon was going to get better and better...but never really did. went from young clutch leg to somewhat of a liability. coaches determine how they're going to call the kicking game for a game by watching pre-game kicks from all angles. they have a coach to report to the head coach about how he's doing from distance, wind, angles, etc...obviously they didn't think they could count on jordan for a large portion of the kicks the last couple years. i hope we rarely have to rely on kicking to win (TD's baby!!) but if we do, have a kicker who is ice! a real must for '07.

How many 40+ yard field goals was he given a chance on? I know I saw him make 2 in his career, and I can only recall ever watching him kick 4 or 5 (but that is just off memory), anyone care to give me stats?

Our coaching staff didn't give him as much of a chance as they should have, imo. but i don't know the whole story, which is why it's just my opinion

After the Cotton Bowl Callahan explained his reasoning behind that. In pre game warmups the kickers would see what they were actually able to kick on that day. It wasnt just purely for warming up purposes but to see what tehy could hit and from where on the field. The coaches would know every game what Congdon was able to do, its not that they limited him, its that he was just limited by a lack of physical ability which is a shame.

i don't think Jordan would have ever lived up to the hype he came with.

unless his technique (coaching) improves at USC, i think he has just failed to learn how to kick well without a tee and may never be the talent that he projected coming out of high school. we'll see.

i don't think Jordan would have ever lived up to the hype he came with.

unless his technique (coaching) improves at USC, i think he has just failed to learn how to kick well without a tee and may never be the talent that he projected coming out of high school. we'll see.

I'm not a kicker so there is a good possibility that there is something I am missing, but it did'nt lok like a technique problem (pretty good %) it looked like a strength problem. Either way I agree it would be very hard for him to live up to the hype, few kids could.