Out of state-ers

Does anyone else in non-NE states feel that a special bond is created when you come across someone who has a Husker license plate or a Nebraska shirt on?

Living in KC I don't know many Husker fans...which is why I'm on this board so much. But when I'm driving I'll see someone with a Husker license plate and I'll pass them hoping they see my Husker window sticker...and I feel like a special bond is made right then. :)

Or I find myself throwing out a "Husker Power" when walking by someone with a Husker shirt on.

Anyone else live in another state and find themselves smiling when they see a Husker fan? Especially with the season nearing?

:bonez:bonez

GBR

I live in KC myself (Overland Park) and I have a giant red N (6 feet sq.) that I put up in my front yard with my christmas lights and my KSUcks fan neighbor loves to give me $hit about it but he can eat me. I wear my Husker gear, hat and license plate with pride and love to give a big hell ya to any one else I see doing the same.

Here in Birmingham, I only occasionally see another car with a NU sticker or tag on the road, or run into someone with a Husker hat or t-shirt on. It's rare enough that you definitely get that feeling of kinship. I know there are other Husker fans and displaced Nebraskans down here, but we're spread out enough that we don't run across each other often. I'd say I might average seeing 10 other fans a year since we moved down here 30 years ago.

I roam the Coastal and Houston Region of Texas. I can still count on 1 hand how many husker fans I have met. Just after the Cotton Bowl, I was @ Blockbuster checking out, wearing my Huskers Cap, when from behind me I heard, "Tough Loss!" It took me a minute to realize that he was talking to me... about the loss to Auburn and when I turned around he too was wearing a huskers hat. We had about a 30 minute conversation about being fans living Texas and how rare it is to see another fan.

I also sport a tailgate magnet on my truck. When I was pumping gas one time, this old guy and his wife in front of me kept looking over at me. I was also wearing a Huskers T-shirt and Cap. The man walked over introducing himself. He was a Nebraska native, just moved to Texas for work. We talked there at the gas pumps for a good 45 minutes. He told me that in Nebraska when its game time, its like a ghost town because everyone flocks to the game. All businesses are closed and grocery stores tune their intercom onto the game to listen! Is this true??? I had never heard anything like it before! He was probably one of the nicest down to earth men I have met. But thats what I expected when I heard he was from Nebraska!

I live in Minnesota, and in my line of work you get to meet a lot of different people. Every time I come across someone wearing Husker gear, I give them a skeptical look and ask them something along the lines of, "So are you a Husker fan or are you just wearing the gear?"

Not one person has ever said "Oh I just wear the shirt or hat."

All of them respond that they are huge husker fans, and it ultimately leads to a 25 minute conversation about the past couple seasons, Callahan, the upcoming schedule, and anything and everything Nebraska. There is something special about the bond between Nebraska fans, without a doubt.

One more thing I had to add: My buddy stole my red Husker hat from my house and wore it on a trip to Colorado with some of his friends. When he came back, he told me that he was shocked how many people (especially in Western Nebraska in no-mans land) came up to him and complimented him on the hat or gave him a thumbs up while driving by. I explained to him that he should have known that would happen, but it's tough trying to describe Husker nation to a Big 10 supporter.

Not one person has ever said "Oh I just wear the shirt or hat."

All of them respond that they are huge husker fans, and it ultimately leads to a 25 minute conversation about the past couple seasons, Callahan, the upcoming schedule, and anything and everything Nebraska. There is something special about the bond between Nebraska fans, without a doubt.

That is one thing that's great about our fans. I haven't met any bandwagon fans...unlike a lot of the USC and Texas fans that came out of the woodwork all of sudden when they were good. Sure they could spout off names like Reggie Bush and Vince Young...but ask them one question about their program 10 years ago and they can't come up with an answer. But some of that might be the difference between college students who become fans because they attended the school (like my UF fan) versus those of us who may have never gone to school there or even LIVED in Nebraska (like myself) but are a fan because they were raised a fan. It's the only football I knew growing up. It's the only football that was on TV. Sure I became a bigger fan once I graduated high school and really understood the whole college ball scene...but you'd see me sporting my red Husker hoodie during the bad years just the same as the good years.

Anyway, interesting stories from everyone here. Good to know I'm not the only crazy one who feels that special bond. :thumbs

When I moved to Los Angeles and still had my NE plates, other Nebraskans would always honk at me on the Interstate, it would happen almost every few weeks.

Now I have my Husker flags that I wave at those with NE plates. I usually get a smile, a wave or a honk. Only a few 'weird' looks, like "who da hell is THAT guy?!?" :cheers

When I moved to Los Angeles and still had my NE plates, other Nebraskans would always honk at me on the Interstate, it would happen almost every few weeks.

Now I have my Husker flags that I wave at those with NE plates. I usually get a smile, a wave or a honk. Only a few 'weird' looks, like "who da hell is THAT guy?!?" :cheers

Dude that just sound halarious. So when you see a fellow Husker fan, you pick you your flag and start waving it at them??? Thats cool as hell, I need to try that.....there isn't really any other way to show support while driving besides that.....you know, I am not gonna throw the Bones up if I will wreck and die!!! lol

I was on vacation in New York and was in the subway leaving yankee stadium after my Red Sox killed them...and i thought it safer to wear a nebraska hat than my redsox hat and had numerous people comment and say go big red on the train and throughout the city that day... it's crazy what a lil red N on a hat will do, one of the comedians on the street even offered to buy my lunch for me (he was a husker alum) crazy lil world...it truly is a husker nation

Dude that just sound halarious. So when you see a fellow Husker fan, you pick you your flag and start waving it at them??? Thats cool as hell, I need to try that.....there isn't really any other way to show support while driving besides that.....you know, I am not gonna throw the Bones up if I will wreck and die!!! lol

Yeah sometimes I ask myself, am I a big dork for doing this??? I have two little car flags, regular Huskers flag and a Blackshirts flag. I also wave them at Warner trucks also, their base is just south of Millard. They usually give me a nice air horn blast.

I throw up the bones when my car pool buddy is driving, and we have no flags in his car. I have a long 1 hr commute, we get real bored. My buddy is not a Husker fan, but loves doing that just to see how ppl react. I'm trying to convert him.