COSGROVE

I know everyone in Huskerland knows the success we had in the mid 90s was directly related to our DEFENSE and the 4-3 attack. I feel with Cosgrove we have fallen back into the craig bohl style of defense where our D is reacting and not attacking. during our NC domination tour our defense controlled the oppositions play calling and forced the issue. I feel like we are waiting for cos to learn a more advanced system or he is just to stubborn to see what has worked in the past and ignore it. I understand the talent was better, Ortiz and Farley were insanely gifted, but systems need to be practiced and incorporated to recruit need for specific positions. P.S. Grixby is probably the worst DB i have seen play defense @ NU....I would much rather see someone with better physical ability and absolutely no exp play corner.

I know everyone in Huskerland knows the success we had in the mid 90s was directly related to our DEFENSE and the 4-3 attack. I feel with Cosgrove we have fallen back into the craig bohl style of defense where our D is reacting and not attacking. during our NC domination tour our defense controlled the oppositions play calling and forced the issue. I feel like we are waiting for cos to learn a more advanced system or he is just to stubborn to see what has worked in the past and ignore it. I understand the talent was better, Ortiz and Farley were insanely gifted, but systems need to be practiced and incorporated to recruit need for specific positions. P.S. Grixby is probably the worst DB i have seen play defense @ NU....I would much rather see someone with better physical ability and absolutely no exp play corner.

What if he is the best we've got (with injuries)? I won't argue that he's the weakest link out there. He's not a horrible DB from a technique view, but he's just way too undersized and gets man-handled. As far as experience, I'll disagree. I'd rather have a guy that knows where to be on a play then someone running around lost. If anything, the experienced guy will be in position to make the tackle. Playing DB is not all about physical ability. It's one of the harder positions to play.

What if he is the best we've got (with injuries)? I won't argue that he's the weakest link out there. He's not a horrible DB from a technique view, but he's just way too undersized and gets man-handled. As far as experience, I'll disagree. I'd rather have a guy that knows where to be on a play then someone running around lost. If anything, the experienced guy will be in position to make the tackle. Playing DB is not all about physical ability. It's one of the harder positions to play.

Agreed. Shanle was supposedly very physically gifted, but was often found out of postion. I will go with experience and physical ability as a bonus.

As a response to the bulk of your original post, I will not disagree that I would like to see a more nasty defense that opposing teams fear. I think we are getting better athletes in his system.

It seems like I heard somewhere that Cos has made some sort of change to his scheme, but I couldn't confirm where I heard that. So hopefully with the experience coming our defense will dictate how the opposing offense is doing their play calling.

Its funny to see many of the same debates come full circle and present themselves again. These same issues have been discussed many times over the last year. Some love COZ, some hate him and some don't care. Talent issues with the same players keep popping up in conversations as well. For the most part though, judging from previous responses on this board, it is agreed that most did not like Shanle and feel that he was never in the right position.

As a response to the bulk of your original post, I will not disagree that I would like to see a more nasty defense that opposing teams fear. I think we are getting better athletes in his system.

It seems like I heard somewhere that Cos has made some sort of change to his scheme, but I couldn't confirm where I heard that. So hopefully with the experience coming our defense will dictate how the opposing offense is doing their play calling.

Agree! 90s defenses had tall/undersized DEs, that applied pressure off the edge. Carriker and Moore were very good, but likely would have been NT/DT in old system at the size they were in 07. The Wil backer is not the speed guys like the 90s either. Back then he was more like the Rover, while the best LB usually was the Sam, that had to do everything, while the Mike was big and physical, but did not require all the speed of the other two. The 90s Blackshirts were basically a 40 nickel defense, kinda like UW in 91. I would like an attacking 8 man front like VA Tech runs. It is basically the UW defense under James/Lambright.

Agree! 90s defenses had tall/undersized DEs, that applied pressure off the edge. Carriker and Moore were very good, but likely would have been NT/DT in old system at the size they were in 07. The Wil backer is not the speed guys like the 90s either. Back then he was more like the Rover, while the best LB usually was the Sam, that had to do everything, while the Mike was big and physical, but did not require all the speed of the other two. The 90s Blackshirts were basically a 40 nickel defense, kinda like UW in 91. I would like an attacking 8 man front like VA Tech runs. It is basically the UW defense under James/Lambright.

i couldnt agree more, Carriker was and will be a DT in the pros, you sometimes question Cosgroves perception, with Carriker playing end Turner sat out more. Turner would be a seasoned DE had Carriker played NT. I couldnt understand the thinking from the start of last season. Carriker was much more effective over the center.

i probably should have written more on the talent vs exp thing for you. try this....someone who knows the system perfectly and is in position and still cannot stop the TOUCHDOWN or someone who is physically gifted not much exp has a 50% chance of stopping the TOUCHDOWN and will learn from mistakes improving every snap and making our football better in the future. Grixby is overmatched every down, Shanlee was all we had, and very slow. (and when i say slow , i mean no field quickness or lateral speed) I would start a freshman (F.Washington) over Grixby game one.

thats what scares me

Its funny to see many of the same debates come full circle and present themselves again. These same issues have been discussed many times over the last year. Some love COZ, some hate him and some don't care. Talent issues with the same players keep popping up in conversations as well. For the most part though, judging from previous responses on this board, it is agreed that most did not like Shanle and feel that he was never in the right position.

i understand...........but we all see the high powerd offenses (T-Tech, Hawaii, Oregon, etc...) scoring points is awesome, insert any offensive plan here. its the teams who stop them that win NCs. we could discuss offense till the moon turns red, but i remember a certian 3rd and 9 at the OU 1 yard line last year.......

i understand...........but we all see the high powerd offenses (T-Tech, Hawaii, Oregon, etc...) scoring points is awesome, insert any offensive plan here. its the teams who stop them that win NCs. we could discuss offense till the moon turns red, but i remember a certian 3rd and 9 at the OU 1 yard line last year.......

and or a very sad Peyton Manning.

exactly....Ortiz was an unsung hero for the Skers, at the time he was recruited he was the 2nd fastest human on the north american continent. could cover anything coming out of the backfield like a blanket, regardless of how fast they were. took away the hot read for most teams and allowed Winstrom and co to run havoc in the backfield.

P.S. It's apparent that you don't remember a CB by the name of Pat Ricketts. Or as I called him.... TOAST!