Linebackers

None of us know whether or not he would start for any team in the country. However, I do know what Pelini said during an interview. He said there wasn't one person on NU's defense that would be starting for OU, and that includes Ruud! He did back peddle a little after he made this statement, but I think he truely believes this.

Barrett Ruud isn't a terrible player, but I'm not sure he is all that great either. He doesn't have the speed we need at the position to be considered great. He is the all time leading tackler in part because he's pretty much started 4 seasons. Of the games that I have seen on TV, I've recorded them to break down the film later on. In most situations he is credited for a tackle, he usually isn't the first one there. He simply falls on the guy on the way down. I would compare him to Shanle. Shanle started his freshman year on, but I never thought he was a great player. He lacked the speed to be a great player. I'm sure he was the best we had, but that doesn't mean he is/was a great player. Bo Ruud has more potential than his older brother because he has a lot more speed, but he is only a freshman so time will tell.

With some of the great linebackers NU has had, the one thing they had in common was being game changers. I don't think Ruud has the skills to be considered a game changer. I'm sure he will be an All American, but I've seen some NU lineman labeled All American's that just weren't that good.

From the great defenses we have had in the past, we seemed to be the most successful when we had linebackers who only weighed in at maybe 220 but had 4.3 or 4.4 speed. I can't name one of our linebackers who even come close to that speed. When your secondary is making a lot of tackles against a team ranked 111th in total offense, this should tell you that your front 7 aren't very good!

None of us know whether or not he would start for any team in the country. However, I do know what Pelini said during an interview. He said there wasn't one person on NU's defense that would be starting for OU, and that includes Ruud! He did back peddle a little after he made this statement, but I think he truely believes this.

Barrett Ruud isn't a terrible player, but I'm not sure he is all that great either. He doesn't have the speed we need at the position to be considered great. He is the all time leading tackler in part because he's pretty much started 4 seasons. Of the games that I have seen on TV, I've recorded them to break down the film later on. In most situations he is credited for a tackle, he usually isn't the first one there. He simply falls on the guy on the way down. I would compare him to Shanle. Shanle started his freshman year on, but I never thought he was a great player. He lacked the speed to be a great player. I'm sure he was the best we had, but that doesn't mean he is/was a great player. Bo Ruud has more potential than his older brother because he has a lot more speed, but he is only a freshman so time will tell.

With some of the great linebackers NU has had, the one thing they had in common was being game changers. I don't think Ruud has the skills to be considered a game changer. I'm sure he will be an All American, but I've seen some NU lineman labeled All American's that just weren't that good.

From the great defenses we have had in the past, we seemed to be the most successful when we had linebackers who only weighed in at maybe 220 but had 4.3 or 4.4 speed. I can't name one of our linebackers who even come close to that speed. When your secondary is making a lot of tackles against a team ranked 111th in total offense, this should tell you that your front 7 aren't very good!

I have never seen proof of pelini saying this and since it was by in an interview it should be out there right? Show me a link please. Also, ruud is all that good and he will be darn good in the pros. He is just good no doubt about it. You dont be the all time leading tackler at nu for nothing. ARe you watching any of our games this year? Most the times he gets them or we don't get them and they get a big gain.

Watch the TT game again, especially when they are on the five and the guy runs right by him as he's tripping over the painted lines. I'm not saying he is a poor player and that he won't or can't play at the next level. I highly doubt he'll play much more than for running plays because he can't cover the tight ends they have in the NFL. During the Kansas game, he had some good stops. However, most of his good stops were on kick or punt coverage. Break down the film play by play and critique his tackles. I think you will see what I'm talking about.

I didn't see any film against Baylor, but I didn't like hearing on the radio that the secondary was making most of the tackles on the running plays. I'm not saying it was Ruud's fault because maybe they were running away from him. However, I have broke down the film on the games that were on TV. He makes a lot of his tackles when the player with the ball is already in the process or being tackled.

I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, but I think everyone is in love with him because he's white, he's from Lincoln, and he never seems to get into any trouble. However, that does not make him a great player. Not to mention, if your middle linebacker isn't making the most tackles on the team then something is seriously wrong. This is where a lot of the plays take place.

Watch the TT game again, especially when they are on the five and the guy runs right by him as he's tripping over the painted lines. I'm not saying he is a poor player and that he won't or can't play at the next level. I highly doubt he'll play much more than for running plays because he can't cover the tight ends they have in the NFL. During the Kansas game, he had some good stops. However, most of his good stops were on kick or punt coverage. Break down the film play by play and critique his tackles. I think you will see what I'm talking about.

I didn't see any film against Baylor, but I didn't like hearing on the radio that the secondary was making most of the tackles on the running plays. I'm not saying it was Ruud's fault because maybe they were running away from him. However, I have broke down the film on the games that were on TV. He makes a lot of his tackles when the player with the ball is already in the process or being tackled.

I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, but I think everyone is in love with him because he's white, he's from Lincoln, and he never seems to get into any trouble. However, that does not make him a great player. Not to mention, if your middle linebacker isn't making the most tackles on the team then something is seriously wrong. This is where a lot of the plays take place.

I have broke them down and I know what I'm talking about. He is a big time player. He will be a big time player in the pros aswell.

I have broke them down and I know what I'm talking about.  He is a big time player.  He will be a big time player in the pros aswell.

I don't know about the pro's but I agree with you about being a big time player for the Huskers. I think he could benefit from being a bit quicker though. The bigger problem, as I have said before, is that he doesn't have much help back there most of the time and that is leaving a bit of a hole in the middle of the field in some situations.

I also agree with Junior in that he seems to get alot of tackles when the guy is already contained. Not a bad thing, just something I noticed.

He is a great player and as the season gets older, opposing teams are starting to pick up that he is the one constant of our linebacking core. They have been designing and running misdirection and trap plays so that they can get a good block on Rudd and the misdirections will run our other linebackers right out of the play. That is why the secondary is getting so many tackles against the run.

I think the Outside Linebackers are by far the weakest part of the defense. Losing the two from last year was huge. Sievers can't tackle and he can't cover anybody. Bradley has his moments but he over runs plays all the time. As for Ruud he is a good run stopper but he is definitely a liability when it comes to the pass. When we get some speed in here at the two outside spots look out.