Cosgrove tinkering with Nebraska defense

LINK

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) -- Like a mad scientist, Kevin Cosgrove stood in the bowels of Memorial Stadium smiling and staring into space as he listed his preseason experiments: four-man fronts, three-man fronts, disguised fronts.

The defensive coordinator talked about "hybrid" players, schemes that put six linebackers and five defensive backs on the field at the same time, and linebackers lining up at nose tackle?

Oh, the possibilities.

"I think Coach Cos kind of gets bored with stuff, so he tries new things," linebacker Corey McKeon said. "If it works out, it works out. If it doesn't, it doesn't. He likes to move guys around."

The Cornhuskers have a deep and talented stable of linebackers, and Cosgrove plans to build around them.

Make no mistake, Cosgrove said, the base defense will be made up of four down linemen and three linebackers.

But the 3-4 alignment will be prominent against offenses that favor the pass. The three-lineman, four-linebacker look gets more speed on the field and lends itself to a wider variety of blitzes and coverages. Cosgrove noted that the Huskers used the three-man front in last year's win over Missouri.

Cosgrove said he needs to get creative to counter the wide array of offenses in the Big 12.

"You have to be able to get good matchups," Cosgrove said. "By us getting those (more athletic) guys on the field, our matchups are improved."

McKeon and Bo Ruud are entering their third years as starting linebackers. McKeon is in the middle, and Ruud moves from weak side to strong side to replace Stewart Bradley. Steve Octavien takes over on the weak side, but he also will line up at end, Cosgrove said.

Lance Brandenburgh and Phillip Dillard also figure prominently. Brandenburgh can play all three linebacker spots and was the top tackler among nonstarters lasts season. The 6-foot-1, 250-pound Dillard will spell McKeon in the middle, but he also could line up at nose tackle in passing situations.

If there's a concern, it's up front, where the Huskers lost tackles Ola Dagunduro and Barry Cryer and ends Adam Carriker and Jay Moore.

Cosgrove said he's comfortable with the experience of their replacements.

Leading the group is nose tackle Ndamukong Suh, who had 3.5 sacks and eight tackles for loss as a reserve. Nebraska is touting the 6-4, 305-pound Suh for postseason honors.

"Suh can be a dominant player," Cosgrove said.

Said end Barry Turner: "Suh is probably one of the strongest guys in the world. God bless him and keep him healthy. For sure he'll be in the league (NFL)."

Ty Steinkuhler, who started his career at end, has moved alongside Suh at the other tackle.

Zach Potter is the front-runner to start opposite Turner on the end. Cosgrove said Potter is one of the most improved players from last season.

Clayton Sievers will be featured as a so-called "hybrid" player, rotating between end and outside linebacker.

In the secondary, the Huskers have veterans in Cortney Grixby and Andre Jones at cornerback. Tierre Green has one of the safety spots locked down, while Larry Asante, Bryan Wilson and Rickey Thenarse are pushing for work at the other.

The Huskers' defense ranked fifth in the Big 12 and 56th nationally last season, but they lost three players who were taken in the NFL draft in Carriker, Bradley and Moore.

Coach Bill Callahan said he likes the makeup of his defense, especially its athleticism.

"I keep harping on the same message: You have to be versatile," Callahan said. "I tell the guys we have to be able to play you just about anywhere to create the matchup we want."

------

On the Net:

University of Nebraska-Lincoln athletics: http://www.huskers.com

Cosgrove is a poor to fair D Coordinator (look at his ten-year record as UW - ouch). I am not confident his tinkering will amount to anything. Concerns about the D-line (inexperienced), the linebackers (slow) and the DB's (small corners, average safety's) lead me to think this Nebraska season will hinge on the Defense's ability to get it done - or not. If the offense performs and the defense struggles, I think Callahan will have to make a move at DC.

Cosgrove is a poor to fair D Coordinator (look at his ten-year record as UW - ouch). I am not confident his tinkering will amount to anything. Concerns about the D-line (inexperienced), the linebackers (slow) and the DB's (small corners, average safety's) lead me to think this Nebraska season will hinge on the Defense's ability to get it done - or not. If the offense performs and the defense struggles, I think Callahan will have to make a move at DC.

You better duck!!!!

To the troll: I think we underestimate Coz. Look at four of our five losses last season . . . the D gave up 28, 22, 21, and 17 points respectively, to top ten teams. The D held Oklahoma and Allen Patrick to 50 yards rushing in the Big 12 Championship. He also managed to keep Missouri's offense guessing almost the whole game. We can chalk most of the D's other mistakes to undersized corners (<_< ) and poor safety play.

And about the article: SWEET! I love the 3-4! This will also hopefully give our less-than-experienced front four a boost by putting another linebacker in instead.

Cosgrove is a poor to fair D Coordinator (look at his ten-year record as UW - ouch). I am not confident his tinkering will amount to anything.

Yeah a defense that ranked 1st in total D in 98 and 2nd in 99. That guy sucks. :sarcasm

That's like saying, that guy that won the Big XII in 99 and went to the National Championship game in 2001 sucks.........in a sarcastic fashion.

Cosgrove is a poor to fair D Coordinator (look at his ten-year record as UW - ouch). I am not confident his tinkering will amount to anything.

Yeah a defense that ranked 1st in total D in 98 and 2nd in 99. That guy sucks. :sarcasm

That's like saying, that guy that won the Big XII in 99 and went to the National Championship game in 2001 sucks.........in a sarcastic fashion.

Not really. I'm not going to derail this thread by commenting any further.

You're pretty selective, that's ancient history. Here are his rankings 2000 -2003 At Wisc. plus his performance at NU 2004 - 2006. Yeah, that guy sucks.

2000 - 7th in Big ten and 79th nationally.

2001 - 7th in Big ten and 58th nationally.

2002 - 7th in Big ten and 63rd nationally.

2003 - 6th in Big ten and 43rd nationally.

2004 - 8th in Big twelve and 56th nationally.

2005 - 4th in Big twelve and 26th nationally.

2006 - 8th in Big twelve and 56th nationally.