Cosgrove tinkering with Nebraska defense

LINK

The defensive coordinator talked about "hybrid" players, schemes that put six linebackers and five defensive backs on the field at the same time, and linebackers lining up at nose tackle?

But the 3-4 alignment will be prominent against offenses that favor the pass. The three-lineman, four-linebacker look gets more speed on the field and lends itself to a wider variety of blitzes and coverages. Cosgrove noted that the Huskers used the three-man front in last year's win over Missouri.

Apparently the guy has never heard of a nickle or a dime defense. That is what got us killed by Mizzou a couple of years ago. He put his slow linebackers on recievers and we got scorched.

I agree with Bern-wah.

Let me think (i'm old this may take awhile) oh yeah how many NC's has Wisconsin won in the last 30 years. Is it because of less talented and gifted athletes or just really bad coaching?

If Coz makes changes and they work he's a hero the downside is he's the goat. Kinda like Vegas ya just gotta take your chances and roll dem bones, or at NU :bonez

LINK

The defensive coordinator talked about "hybrid" players, schemes that put six linebackers and five defensive backs on the field at the same time, and linebackers lining up at nose tackle?

But the 3-4 alignment will be prominent against offenses that favor the pass. The three-lineman, four-linebacker look gets more speed on the field and lends itself to a wider variety of blitzes and coverages. Cosgrove noted that the Huskers used the three-man front in last year's win over Missouri.

Apparently the guy has never heard of a nickle or a dime defense. That is what got us killed by Mizzou a couple of years ago. He put his slow linebackers on recievers and we got scorched.

I agree with Bern-wah.

I remember getting into a discussion with another poster last year about the whole Coz sux or doesnt debate. We both kept pulling whatever stats supported our own argument and proved absolutely nothing. I was not a Coz fan last year but I am willing to see what he can do with a bit more talent or experienced players. Here is a clip from a S. Sipple article in reference to your nickel packages. Also, if you look, he used nickel at Wisconsin.

09/27/06

07:57:37 pm, Categories: -Football by Steve Sipple

Elmassian: Little need for nickel

Nebraska has made little-to-no use of it nickel package this season, mostly because of inexperience among the reserve cornerbacks currently in line to enter games as an extra defender in obvious passing situations.

LINK

I agree with Bern-wah.

What got us killed vs mizzou acouple years back was not containing Brad Smith. His running tore us apart. Last year we contained Chase Daniel with a 3-4 type set up with Culbert playing 'joker' and spying on Daniel.

Some numbers from NCAA.org for Coz's last 4 seasons with Wisc.

2000- 8-4, #34PPG with 20.4. #79YPG with 391.75

2001- 5-7, #81PPG with 28.8. #58YPG with 370.92

2002- 7-6, #38PPG with 23. #63YPG with 372.93

2003- 7-6, #50PPG with 23.5. #43YPG with 355.

Speaks of average everywhere, not just the defense. We wont know for sure if this is the best he can do or not til we get some of the younger players up and running. Everyone thought McBride was worthless and the heel til the mid 90s also. Wait and see for now.

Can you just imagine if we would of had the internet back when McBride and Osborne first started coaching at Nebraska??!!!! Oh the anti, "FIRE Osborne and take that no good SOB McBride with ya" posts would be off the charts....Oh the horror......the horror.....the horror........the horror (sorry I love that movie!)