A complete meltdown

Redout

How's this: K-state was giving up 146 Rushing YPG coming into Saturday's game against us. Remember, that's before they face some of the better rushing teams on their schedule. This compares to KSU last year which gave up an average of 109 Rushing YPG all year. They gave up over 200 yards to LA Lafayette for crying out loud. Quite simply, our offense would have rolled right over them.

Defensively, I agree with Bernard. Bo would have had them more fired up. This Webb kid looks ok, but he's no Roberson.

As for your little dig at Solich's record vs. K-State, I'm sure you know that Osbourne went 55-16-2 in his first 6 years. Solich went 58-19. What many forget is that Osbourne went 1-6 vs. Oklahoma his first 6 years. Some of those losses were VERY lopsided. Frank went 2-4 against KSU. The point is, every coach has their demon they need time to overcome.

I'm still not buying the Pelini bit. He would still have the two outsidebackers that are playing now. We miss Demorrio and Hollowell more then Bo.

No he wouldn't have the two right now. He moved both of them to dends. I would bet anything that wali would be playing at one of the spots and cooper the other spot. If not he would go to a 2 linebacker spot or move a safety there. Bo was the man, no doubt. Besides that he was a great recruiter for linebackers because he coached them in pros.

How's this: K-state was giving up 146 Rushing YPG coming into Saturday's game against us. Remember, that's before they face some of the better rushing teams on their schedule. This compares to KSU last year which gave up an average of 109 Rushing YPG all year. They gave up over 200 yards to LA Lafayette for crying out loud. Quite simply, our offense would have rolled right over them.

Defensively, I agree with Bernard. Bo would have had them more fired up. This Webb kid looks ok, but he's no Roberson.

As for your little dig at Solich's record vs. K-State, I'm sure you know that Osbourne went 55-16-2 in his first 6 years. Solich went 58-19. What many forget is that Osbourne went 1-6 vs. Oklahoma his first 6 years. Some of those losses were VERY lopsided. Frank went 2-4 against KSU. The point is, every coach has their demon they need time to overcome.

right on,agree totally.

I don't know Dave. If Callahan is the great mastermind he's supposed to be, he could tweak his offense to fit the personell and transition to what he wants to do over the next 2 years. That's what great coaches do, they adapt to the situation. He could have kept Cotton on to help with that, or at least hired someone that has some idea how things have worked here. But he scrapped everything in one shot and that's why I compared us to Notre Dame. That's what Willingham did and they still haven't turned it around. If you can't get the recruits to come to Notre Dame to run the WCO, how can we expect to get them at Nebraska?

The point is tradition only attracts people when tradition is still in tact. Nebraska has no identity right now. Not just because of the offense, because of the way the coaching situation was handled. I'm just glad Turner Gill is still here.

And you're right, nothing like this has ever happened at Nebraska. That's what makes me fume still. Firing a coach with Solich's record showed that Nebraska cares about only wins, there's no leway. Frank got one year with his new staff, and got fired after 9-3. So I just think Callahan should be given the same deal, and Pederson too. Pederson can't bring this attitude in here and then demand time for change. He needs to win now. I was always loyel to Tom Osbourne and Frank Solich when everyone said they couldn't win the big ones. With the attitude the program has taken, I feel no obligation to show that same loyalty to Callahan.

I don't know Dave. If Callahan is the great mastermind he's supposed to be, he could tweak his offense to fit the personell and transition to what he wants to do over the next 2 years. That's what great coaches do, they adapt to the situation. He could have kept Cotton on to help with that, or at least hired someone that has some idea how things have worked here. But he scrapped everything in one shot and that's why I compared us to Notre Dame. That's what Willingham did and they still haven't turned it around. If you can't get the recruits to come to Notre Dame to run the WCO, how can we expect to get them at Nebraska?

The point is tradition only attracts people when tradition is still in tact. Nebraska has no identity right now. Not just because of the offense, because of the way the coaching situation was handled. I'm just glad Turner Gill is still here.

And you're right, nothing like this has ever happened at Nebraska. That's what makes me fume still. Firing a coach with Solich's record showed that Nebraska cares about only wins, there's no leway. Frank got one year with his new staff, and got fired after 9-3. So I just think Callahan should be given the same deal, and Pederson too. Pederson can't bring this attitude in here and then demand time for change. He needs to win now. I was always loyel to Tom Osbourne and Frank Solich when everyone said they couldn't win the big ones. With the attitude the program has taken, I feel no obligation to show that same loyalty to Callahan.

Man, I agree with you 100%. I also think it's a joke that gill is still here. I would bet money the only reason callahan kept him is because Pederson told him to just to try to keep the fans happy. If gill is here next year I would be very suprised.

No, but I am willing to understand that this is 1 year. Anyone thinking that Callahan could come in with players that were not recruited to run his offense and come out with an undefeated season.

No I am not happy, but I am not stubborn and spoiled. I will agree with you in three to four years if nothing has changed.

I didn't say that we'd be undefeated to this point. I would like to be competitive, and our kids fired up.

Our boys look like Custer's troops during Little Bighorn.

I'm far from spoiled, but I am damn sure stubborn. I'm spoiled because my team has a winning tradition? That on any Saturday, I think that we could beat the best teams in the nation? If I'm spoiled for wanting that, then so be it.

Right now, we'd get our butts handed to us by St. Mary's School for the Blind...

Don't you think some of the tradition went when Solich "fired" the ole boys after the 7-7 season. Solich really only brought in those guys last year to try to save his but since he should of been fired after 2002. Granted some of those guys were good hires and I was upset to see them go.(Sanders, Williams, and yes Pelini) But if my job depended on it would I of brought in Cotton. HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!! It was time for Solich to go. All the stuff about what they would of done this year really doesn't matter since we will never know. If they wouldn't of got embarressed by K-State they still probably would be around.

As far as the Notre Dame remark it is a little easier to get recruits in UNL then South Bend.

Oh yeah Solich was 1-4 against Texas also. I guess that makes two Demons.:)

Don't you think some of the tradition went when Solich "fired" the ole boys after the 7-7 season. Solich really only brought in those guys last year to try to save his but since he should of been fired after 2002. Granted some of those guys were good hires and I was upset to see them go.(Sanders, Williams, and yes Pelini) But if my job depended on it would I of brought in Cotton. HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!! It was time for Solich to go. All the stuff about what they would of done this year really doesn't matter since we will never know. If they wouldn't of got embarressed by K-State they still probably would be around.

As far as the Notre Dame remark it is a little easier to get recruits in UNL then South Bend.

Oh yeah Solich was 1-4 against Texas also. I guess that makes two Demons.:)

Solich fired the assistants because they got old and could no longer recruit and no longer had the energy to put in the hours and the abilility to physically show the players how to do techniques and stuff like that. So he hired a new young staff with many of them having nebraska ties.(williams,sanders,cotton) so no the nebraska tradition was not lost. It's not like now where their are no ties, he didn't want to get rid of them guys but had to after the 7-7 season. He wouldn't get rid of them before that because we had just went to the title game the year before.cotton is a good coach for our offense and a good oline coach. All them asssistants are very good and better than what we got now as a whole.

I don't see why you think it's easier to get them to unl then to south bend. South Bend has just as much tradition as we do.

Cotton was brought in so the offense wouldn't change much. Solich still had his hand in all the calls. Solich maybe should of looked in the mirror after the 7-7 season and left with the rest of those guys. I hear what your saying about those guys getting old and not being able to recruit. What was Frankies excuse then. The skilled postions fell when Frank brought the kids in.