Steinkuhler is "day-to-day"

Husker_x

Steinkuhler is "day-to-day"

Husker coach Bill Callahan said Monday during the Big 12 Coaches Teleconference that sophomore defensive tackle Ty Steinkuhler is "day-to-day."

He would not expand on that. "Like I said, he's day-to-day," Callahan said when asked if it might take him out of the Wake Forest game.

Asked if Steinkuhler had avoided a major injury that might keep him out substantial time, Callahan said, "Like I said, he's just day-to-day right now."

Apparently, he's day-to-day.

Steinkuhler went down less than five minutes into Saturday's opener against Nevada with a knee injury and did not return to play.

Callahan had more to say about the return this week of receiver Maurice Purify and tight end Hunter Teafatiller. Both were suspended for the Nevada game for off-the-field issues.

"Both those guys are team guys. I think they really have learned from their incidents that have occurred," Callahan said. "I know they feel a great deal of remorse. The game that they missed hurt 'em badly. I'm sure they want to get back and prove themselves all over again, to their teammates and to themselves as well."

Asked if Purify would start against Wake, Callahan said, "we'll see."

"From the very beginning, we told him he'd have to come back and earn his spot. How close is he to being back? He's had a tremendous training camp, so I think he's improved himself with time and experience... He's a guy that's pretty focused. We would anticipate him playing at the level we expect him to be, and of course, he has higher expectations than we do."

I asked Callahan about running back Cody Glenn, and if a healthy and fully-practiced Glenn was still the No. 2 I-back.

Callahan's answer: "It was great to get Cody back on the field again, just to get him a taste of competition again. I think he was yearning for that ... He's going to be instrumental down the stretch here, there's no doubt about it. He's going to factor in as one of our marque backs.

"We're going to need everybody. Just like a year ago, I think we were all talking about how we were going to use our backs, then of course this year, we said we didn't have any backs. Then we come out of the game the other day and we have all these backs again."

Also, Callahan said he was surprised at the gaudy statistics Nebraska put up against Nevada.

"You know what? If you would have told me that was going to happen, I would have told you you were crazy," Callahan said. "I never thought in a million years that we would have had the numbers that we had. I was kind of astounded afterwards that the numbers were that high. It didn't feel like that during the course of the game.

"Link

:bonez And USC must be razed to the ground. :bonez

Get better Ty! :restore