My Take (the good, the bad and the ugly)

52-10, good start (not great in my book, as I think it should have been expected). Overall, I liked what I saw on defense (Coz) finally has a reasonable secondary which will allow him to great creative and bring some heat! Secondary looked respectable - Green although I'm not a fan of him starting, he played well I thought, and really helped out Asante, who I really liked, but looked a little lost. Murillo- good tight coverage, although the not looking for the ball (like all NU corners) is frustrating and will really hurt against the "big" receivers. Grix - didn't cover badly. Bowman - Played well all things considered. LB's - I think Octavian is the real deal, period. McKeon, Rudd, Bradenburgh, are OK but I think for Srs. I expect more.

Dillard - I can't say enough about. Even in the 30, he looked good. Suh will do well. Potter still makes me nervous although he didn't play terrible. I do believe Seivers is better though. Turner and Dixon not too shabby.

Offensively, once Keller shook off the bugs, I liked what I saw. I especially liked the leadership I saw out of him when BC couldn't get a play in timely enough. He then went and took it upon himself to push the play.

BC- I'm a fan, but really, if you can't make up your mind what to call, then knock off all the shifting. Did it really accomplish anything, other than not allowing Sam to read the D and maybe not have time to audible out.

RB's did well. I will say I was surprised when Lucky was in the open field that he slowed down and waited for his blocks. Personally I would have rather seen him turn on the jets and blow by the DB's.

Offensive Line - Strong, but after 3 minutes in the 2nd QTR, Nevada was worn out, so I still have to see what they do this week. However, I believe Andy Christenson is the week link and shouldn't start. I thought he looked slow and soft.

WR/TE - TE play was OK. I look for better things out of this group yet to come. WR's - my biggest fear going into this season and I wasn't let down. Nunn still S$CKS and hasn't learned to catch. Hardy may be fast but can't catch either. Swift and Peterson are decent, not great. I thought Holt did well and I like this kid. Would like to see him play more. Paul - impressed me. Get this guy on the field. Mo - unless we stop playing Nunn and Hardy, it's all on him.

Adi - What can I say. Strong leg, however I can see blocked kicks as a potential issue (I hope not) but he doesn't kick the ball real high. On kickoffs into the wind, a little more height might be helpful too, as a kick that doesn't go into the endzone could be tough to cover.

Punting - Nice improvement from last year.

Return game - although Grix had a nice KR, I cannot believe that Nunn and Grix are the best we've got. A. Jones did OK, but I believe we have some freshman talent that could really shine here. As far as I'm concerned, Nunn should never be allowed to try and field a punt return again. Besides not being able to catch it, he has shown time and time again, he doesn't make good decisions. Grixby scares me and although I can tolerate him I'd really like to see a Prince, Paul or another playmaking freshman back there.

So, a few negatives, but a far cry better than last year. Wake will be a test. I'm interested to see how we run the ball with 7 guys in the box. As well, when we pass (and we will this week) how does Keller look with a little pressure on him, and hopefully our WR catch the ball this week.

Defensively I think we'll be fine this week.

Against USC - the defense needs to play stellar, and I think they will. Offensively, I still don't think we have the WR's to try and get into a shoot out, so I think a similar plan as last year (only not qute as dramatic) is necessary. Pound the rock, chew the clock, and take selective shots.

If we can come away with a "W" next week and not have any major injuries (both a huge concern for me right now), I think the 15th will be a hell of a game in Lincoln. With a few breaks, even a "W".

My prediction NU 31 WF 21 then NU 23 (with 3 FG's from Adi)USC 21

My heart might be outweighing my head, but a guys got to have hope.

Oh, lastly, the Tunnel walk better be improved dramatically for USC.

Dillard - I can't say enough about. Even in the 30, he looked good. Suh will do well. Potter still makes me nervous although he didn't play terrible. I do believe Seivers is better though. Turner and Dixon not too shabby.

My only complaint about Potter is that he failed to follow the outside run. He bit immediately on the up the middle run.

Offensively, once Keller shook off the bugs, I liked what I saw. I especially liked the leadership I saw out of him when BC couldn't get a play in timely enough. He then went and took it upon himself to push the play.

There were clock issues all around the country due to the new play clock rules.

BC- I'm a fan, but really, if you can't make up your mind what to call, then knock off all the shifting. Did it really accomplish anything, other than not allowing Sam to read the D and maybe not have time to audible out.

Joe Fan has a hard time seeing what the shifting does because it's not alway obvious. It can do a few things that might not be immediately visible, especially with the view you get on TV. 1) get the defense to tip it's hand 2) Try to gain a numbers advantage on one side of the field or the other. 3) Try to get a more favorable match up. Granted, it doesn't always work with all defenses but don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Audibling should be very minimal.

RB's did well. I will say I was surprised when Lucky was in the open field that he slowed down and waited for his blocks. Personally I would have rather seen him turn on the jets and blow by the DB's.

He did show a great deal of patience down field when he had blockers. Which is what he should be doing IMO.

Offensive Line - Strong, but after 3 minutes in the 2nd QTR, Nevada was worn out, so I still have to see what they do this week. However, I believe Andy Christenson is the week link and shouldn't start. I thought he looked slow and soft.

I agree. Gotta temper the performance of the line last week a bit.

WR/TE - TE play was OK. I look for better things out of this group yet to come. WR's - my biggest fear going into this season and I wasn't let down. Nunn still S$CKS and hasn't learned to catch. Hardy may be fast but can't catch either. Swift and Peterson are decent, not great. I thought Holt did well and I like this kid. Would like to see him play more. Paul - impressed me. Get this guy on the field. Mo - unless we stop playing Nunn and Hardy, it's all on him.

Nunn will play plenty this year, no doubt. Timely misses and all.

As far as Paul, I didn't really see much from him. He caught, what, one ball?

Adi - What can I say. Strong leg, however I can see blocked kicks as a potential issue (I hope not) but he doesn't kick the ball real high. On kickoffs into the wind, a little more height might be helpful too, as a kick that doesn't go into the endzone could be tough to cover.

Yea, he does need to get that ball up, but I am sure he will be working on it.

Punting - Nice improvement from last year.

Really? I thought punting was good last year. It was about the same I thought.

Return game - although Grix had a nice KR, I cannot believe that Nunn and Grix are the best we've got. A. Jones did OK, but I believe we have some freshman talent that could really shine here. As far as I'm concerned, Nunn should never be allowed to try and field a punt return again. Besides not being able to catch it, he has shown time and time again, he doesn't make good decisions. Grixby scares me and although I can tolerate him I'd really like to see a Prince, Paul or another playmaking freshman back there.

I think one thing that get's overlooked by most fans is reliably catching the ball. You gotta catch and secure the ball before you can hope to bust a return. The coaches have to feel confident that you will be able to do that in order to get on the field. I am sure we will one of the guys you mention, probably Prince, in the return game by the end of the year.

Clock issues everywhere, maybe. Our delay calls (all but one) came in regular circumstances, not due to the new rules. BC didn't get the plays in timely enough.

Shifting, I don't disagree, MIGHT create a challenge periodically. However, I would rather us rely on executing better, along with technique, before we try and add confusion. As well, if the play book is so complicated that it keeps some of our better athletes off the field, I'd like BC to make some modifications and HELP the playmakers have a better chance of grasping the system.

Paul did only catch one ball, but he has very good hands. He took a lick and held on firmly. Not to mention his efforts blocking far out performed Nunn and Hardy in my book. Lastly, I just have to believe Nunn and Hardy are not the best we've got. If they are, then we truly are in trouble at the WR position.

Punting- Dan avg. over 44 yds a kick vs. his 39+ last year.

Joe Fan has a hard time seeing what the shifting does because it's not alway obvious. It can do a few things that might not be immediately visible, especially with the view you get on TV. 1) get the defense to tip it's hand 2) Try to gain a numbers advantage on one side of the field or the other. 3) Try to get a more favorable match up. Granted, it doesn't always work with all defenses but don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Well put

Good:

The O-Line

Lucky

Castille

Culbert

Bad:

Keller not looking off

Need to do better with Keller's cheat sheets

Ugly:

Delay of Game penalties

Nunn returning anything

We must get the delay of game situation under control. While I understand the rule change, that should have been anticipated and dealt with. I watched a several other games and they seem to have it under control.

Why is Nunn returning kicks and punts?

He actually was pretty good at it a few years ago. But he also gave some near heartattacks with the ocasional drops. As many have mentioned before, there will be some different guys in there through the course of the year. Cally has even hinted on that.

He actually was pretty good at it a few years ago. But he also gave some near heartattacks with the ocasional drops. As many have mentioned before, there will be some different guys in there through the course of the year. Cally has even hinted on that.

Can't wait. I generally take it easy on the kids, but too many mistakes for a senior imo....

e.g. fair catch, stone hands

I hope we see his head on straight this and following weeks.