A Call to Arms - MU ticketholders this is for you

Guest Huskerboard

Guest Huskerboard

I subscribe to Brandon's Yahoo group, and thought this was important to share. He's pretty on point with his observation - whether or not you agree with the current playcalling, system, or even Bill Callahan's beverage of choice - we ALL need to get over OURselves and get back behind OUR Team 100% again. And if you just can't seem to find the ability to set aside your personal differences for the sake of The Team, you may want to consider donating your ticket to a hungry fan. B/c he's right, this apathetic attitude that is rippling across Husker Nation like a future Steve Pederson used car dealership HAS TO GO!!

Please read closely - take notes if needed.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Shooting Point Blank: A Call to Arms 2K4

By Brandon "Blankman" Cavanaugh

Usually, you don't see me put out an article in the middle of the week

because, let's face it, I'm not really bright enough, nor do I have

that much to say in a week's span to put out two articles, but, here

we are and believe me, there is a lot on my mind. Not about offensive

or defensive coaching, not about players or x's and o's, none of that.

What's on my mind is, actually, you.

Apathy is a word that has been thrown around a lot lately. Husker

Apathy they call it. It's been bandied about focused on coaches,

players, trainers, and strength and conditioning members, the whole

works. To be quite honest, though, I'm starting to see this

phenomenon in a place that, honestly, disturbs me a bit: the fans.

Now, look, I'm a reasonable guy and I understand the situation that

we're all in. Times are rather rough now and the team isn't doing as

well as we'd like, fine. What disturbs me, however, is the

individuals who take up a valuable seat at Memorial Stadium to either

sit and pout when each and every drive doesn't end in seven points or,

heck, failing that, complaining about something even during a

touchdown celebration.

This has got to change, people. I remember a time when a team not

only feared coming to Memorial Stadium because they dreaded the

beating they'd take at the hands of the team, but because they would

be subjected to an earsplitting crowd that would make life hell for

them for the next several hours. Teams no longer fear any aspect of

Lincoln and a good chunk of the fan base isn't helping. I am not

coming down on all of you, believe me, I'm not. I've sat next to some

VERY cool people in my days at Memorial and believe me, chunks and

sections do exist, but I'm afraid that just isn't good enough, not for

where we need to be.

There are people who have, for a long time, gone on at great lengths

about how all they want is the best for the program and the fans, but

they turn their back on everything they've claimed to hold dear. They

couldn't care less about the program and take great joy in sitting

around nudging everyone around them at the sports bar telling them how

right they are when things don't go wrong. What do they have to lose?

If we fail, they're right and, believe me, they'll tell you that over

and over. If they're wrong? Well, darn, they're GLAD to be wrong,

right? Because after all, they want what's best for the team. I

don't believe it and neither should you.

These are the types of people that I'm discussing today. The fact of

the matter is this: We're sitting at 4-3 and, guess what? We're still

in control of our own destiny in the Big XII North. So, what am I

asking of you? Lay the foundation for the imposing atmosphere that

once used to dwell in the hallowed halls of Memorial Stadium. If

you've already made the decision that you're going to go and read a

book or sit in your seat with your arms firmly pressed against your

chest and sneer at an incompletion or complain that Missouri got 2

yards instead of 1 on a play or whatever reason you could possibly

fathom for complaining? Just don't.

The kids need a crowd that is unbridled, that supports them, which

they can feed off of. Sure, will it score points? No, it won't, but

it will show them that despite the tough times they are going through,

we still love them and admire them because they are OUR team, they are

OUR sons and they fight for what WE hold dear. Do you know what my

dream is, folks? To turn Memorial Stadium in to one big student

section. Where we all stand for the majority of the game and make it

nearly impossible for the opposing quarterback to audible, where we

take great delight in showing the Men of Corn love when they've earned

it and even when they haven't, just because they are OUR team.

We could've made a statement against Kansas State, but we didn't and,

yeah, that's unfortunate, but we have control of this situation now,

Husker Nation. Missouri, one of the three teams that beat Nebraska

last year, is coming to Lincoln this year. They have to come to our

house, remember when that used to make you all giddy? Don't you want

to be able to use the phrase "Well, it's in Lincoln!" and have it mean

something? Then let's begin anew. Let's set the date: October 30,

2004. For each and every one of you that holds a ticket to the event

in Memorial Stadium on that date, go to cheer and lose your voice. If

you cannot do that, then, please, don't go. This has absolutely

nothing to do with age, either, folks. I've met folks into their 70s,

80s and even 90s who yell with the vigor that I have no doubt they've

done for decades. Those are the people I want in the stands Saturday.

I want little kids who have never been to a Cornhusker football game;

I want the young guns with unrivalled passion, the older gents with a

kid still alive inside them and everyone else able-bodied and with a

healthy throat. Get out and yell, cheer and cause general havoc for

Bradley Smith and the Tigers.

No excuses, people. If you cannot get behind this team now at one of

its most desperate times of need ever, then you need to step off of

the bus and find yourself another team, because it's just not working

out. For those of you remaining? It's time to get fired up and take

a lesson from the student section. Start chants, get rowdy and cause

general havoc for the opposition. It is time for Memorial Stadium to

stop being Nebraska's Biggest Tea Party and turn back into an asset

for our boys in Scarlet and Cream. It all starts with you, the fan.

Are you willing to do what it takes?

Questions, commentary and venom-filled retorts can be sent to

Blankman71@cox.net

===Brandon a.k.a. Blankman #71===

I know at least two people who have experienced the same thing he is talking about. People who would rather bitch at the game no less than have a good time and be a FAN.

I agree with him 100% Amongst all this talk and BS, some people forget how to be a fan if they ever knew to being with.

hard not to complain this year. not making a bowl is something to complain about.

There is always Shreveport. People were complaining last year with Frankie Boy and Super Bo.

I could see complaining in the 7-7 season but not complaining last year, that was just spoiled fans. I can see people complaining this year. Last year was a big improvement and on the road to title contender with that staff and how they had things going.

hard not to complain this year. not making a bowl is something to complain about.

You are missing the point.

No, I am not. I know what your talking about in that some fans b!tch no matter what, I am not like that and alot of fans are not like that. I never b!tched once last year, I absoutly loved the team,staff, and fire. This year I think their is something to complain about, its flat out embarrassing and isn't nebraska football.

No, I am not. I know what your talking about in that some fans b!tch no matter what, I am not like that and alot of fans are not like that. I never b!tched once last year, I absoutly loved the team,staff, and fire.  This year I think their is something to complain about, its flat out embarrassing and isn't nebraska football.

That's not what I am talking about. I am talking about how the hell are you going to to a game, pay the money in seats and maybe parking just to sit there and bitch? Just stay home.

I think last year there was a lot of complaining about Lord. People also got tired of the play clock and stuff like that. There was a lot of "Put in Dailey". I really don't remeber anyone yelling during the K-State game though. Oh wait I think most people left at the beginning of the 4th quarter. :flush

haha. Yea. There was plenty of booing at Lord last year.

I think last year there was a lot of complaining about Lord. People also got tired of the play clock and stuff like that. There was a lot of "Put in Dailey". I really don't remeber anyone yelling during the K-State game though. Oh wait I think most people left at the beginning of the 4th quarter. :flush

Yeah lord is doing alot better than dailey at this point. If people were pissed about play clock and stuff like that and using time outs they ought to really be pissed this year, it is really unorganized.

No, I am not. I know what your talking about in that some fans b!tch no matter what, I am not like that and alot of fans are not like that. I never b!tched once last year, I absoutly loved the team,staff, and fire. This year I think their is something to complain about, its flat out embarrassing and isn't nebraska football.

I can appreciate your angle B, but IMO the point of this "rally cry" is bigger than individuals disagreeing with certain aspects of the "new" program. Whether you agree with everything the new guys do or not is irrelevant (not really, but according to this article - which is what we're discussing), rather the point is to support the "N" on the helmets with unbridled passion - regardless of our differences.

The main thing here is that complaining or not supporting the team simply b/c you dont agree with a coaching or AD move is selfish. It doesnt show respect to the current kids that are busting their asses for NU football, and it doesnt show respect to the tradition that we are so proud of. And most importantly it has absolutely zero utility. Its futile. It seriously is. Complain on message boards if you want to, complain to your friends, but when you are within the hallowed walls of The Memorial Stadium, you should set aside personal differences and support the team - and if not, its perfectly within your right, but please dont call yourself a true fan when we are back on top. Because true fans are there through thick and thin - b/c in the end its bigger than some jerkoff used car salesman for an AD, and even the current coaching regime. This is Nebraska football. Our heritage. And I know you will argue that no way THIS is NU football, but like it or not, they are wearing our N on their helmets, and representing the team that represents us - so whether we agree or not THIS IS Nebraska football. So we owe it to the current players, past players, and future players, to support The Program - b/c guess what, without them NU football doesnt exist as we know it today, and without us supporting them, neither do they.

I can appreciate your angle B, but IMO the point of this "rally cry" is bigger than individuals disagreeing with certain aspects of the "new" program. Whether you agree with everything the new guys do or not is irrelevant (not really, but according to this article - which is what we're discussing), rather the point is to support the "N" on the helmets with unbridled passion - regardless of our differences.

The main thing here is that complaining or not supporting the team simply b/c you dont agree with a coaching or AD move is selfish. It doesnt show respect to the current kids that are busting their asses for NU football, and it doesnt show respect to the tradition that we are so proud of. And most importantly it has absolutely zero utility. Its futile. It seriously is. Complain on message boards if you want to, complain to your friends, but when you are within the hallowed walls of The Memorial Stadium, you should support the team with everything you've got - and if not, thats fine, but please dont call yourself a true fan when we are back on top. Because true fans are there through thick and thin - b/c in the end its bigger than some jerkoff used car salesman for an AD, and even the current coaching regime. This is Nebraska football. Our heritage. And I know you will argue that no way THIS is NU football, but like it or not, they are wearing our N on their helmets, and representing the team that represents us - so whether we agree or not THIS IS Nebraska football. So we owe it to the current players, past players, and future players, to support The Program - b/c guess what, without them NU football doesnt exist as we know it today, and without us supporting them, neither do they.

The tradition is lost so it doesn't really matter. Our the kids really busting their ass? I think they feel the same way alot of us fans feel that this whole thing is a joke and these coaches aren't nebraska.