Just back from the game ..

BigWillie

3.) I've seen some bashing of Sam Keller. Why -- I don't understand. Besides an overthrow pass on the sideline to Swift (who was wide open), he really didn't make any terrible throws. His INT was a make or break INT by their corner. If he doesn't make that diving catch, Nate Swift takes that to the house since their was no safety help on that side.

Keller made some bad decisions today....

I think my nephew pointed out that last time Keller played USC he lost by 40 or something atrocious like that.

Yep, Keller is still rusty.... his only game action since October '05 was vs. Nevada last week and vs. Wake today. He will improve, much like Zac Taylor did during his 1st year in the system.

And Keller had USC on the ropes in '05 -- leading 21-3 -- before USC eventually won 38-28. ASU gambled several times in the 2nd half, and USC caused several turnovers because of the Sun Devils' offensive strategy.

3.) I've seen some bashing of Sam Keller. Why -- I don't understand. Besides an overthrow pass on the sideline to Swift (who was wide open), he really didn't make any terrible throws. His INT was a make or break INT by their corner. If he doesn't make that diving catch, Nate Swift takes that to the house since their was no safety help on that side.

Keller made some bad decisions today other than that interception and the other dropped ball and the fumbled snap.

He missed about 3 or 4 open receivers and instead threw into coverage. One in particular had Lucky completely uncovered in the middle of the field... he probably would have gone for 30. Keller doesn't seem to be able to survey the field and make fast decisions... hopefully I can put a "yet" on the end of that statement. But he is a senior. Not much time to make up for lost ground.

I think my nephew pointed out that last time Keller played USC he lost by 40 or something atrocious like that.

The biggest problem with the fumbled snap was the fact he wanted to get up and run with it, which lead to an even larger mistake. He did it again later in the game, but was successful with it.

I've seen some mention of the passes in the end zone -- the fade to Mo and a pass to Peterson. Both of those throws would have to be perfect for anyone to fit them in there.

But the WR's had a case of the dropsies today as well. I remember the JB Phillips one (I am pretty sure it was him) in the middle of the field when he had an easy 15 yard gain. Nate Swift had one or two, Mo had two.

I really need to go back and look at the tape to remember more about the game as well, because I know there is plenty I am leaving out.

Also, I should mention that the Wake fans were more than gracious in defeat. Besides some of the idiot kids leaving with 'GO OKLAHOMA!' chants, the older fans were just happy to keep this game close. It was completely different from the impression I got from the message board posters. Now if they would just implode that stadium, I would consider them to be some REALLY nice fans. :)

Keller made some bad decisions today other than that interception and the other dropped ball and the fumbled snap.

He missed about 3 or 4 open receivers and instead threw into coverage. One in particular had Lucky completely uncovered in the middle of the field... he probably would have gone for 30. Keller doesn't seem to be able to survey the field and make fast decisions... hopefully I can put a "yet" on the end of that statement. But he is a senior. Not much time to make up for lost ground.

The biggest problem with the fumbled snap was the fact he wanted to get up and run with it, which lead to an even larger mistake. He did it again later in the game, but was successful with it.

I've seen some mention of the passes in the end zone -- the fade to Mo and a pass to Peterson. Both of those throws would have to be perfect for anyone to fit them in there.

But the WR's had a case of the dropsies today as well. I remember the JB Phillips one (I am pretty sure it was him) in the middle of the field when he had an easy 15 yard gain. Nate Swift had one or two, Mo had two.

I really need to go back and look at the tape to remember more about the game as well, because I know there is plenty I am leaving out.

Also, I should mention that the Wake fans were more than gracious in defeat. Besides some of the idiot kids leaving with 'GO OKLAHOMA!' chants, the older fans were just happy to keep this game close. It was completely different from the impression I got from the message board posters. Now if they would just implode that stadium, I would consider them to be some REALLY nice fans. :)

every team has good ones and bad ones

But the WR's had a case of the dropsies today as well.

Unfortunately, I think that is something we will just have to live with for the rest of the season. The same people that are dropping passes this year dropped them last year as well. I know they work this in practice (catching the ball, not dropping it) but I have to wonder if you can ever really coach good hands or if it is something you are just born with.

First and foremost ...

Mary Mother of God, it was unbelievably hot. I heard they were talking about it on TV, but unless you were there, you have NO idea how hot it was. It was supposedly 95 there (and my sunburns can attest to this), but with the concrete steps and walk, plus the metal bleachers, who the heck knows how hot it really was for the fans. I'm guessing 120+ for the game.

Literally, I was there 90 minutes before kickoff, by the 3rd quarter I was literally going to pass out. I had screamed my lungs out, standing up the entire game and I had to sit for half of the 3rd quarter, and until 2 mins to go in the 4th when I told the guy in front of me to just pick me up if I fall over.

A few parents had to leave the game with their kids because it literally was unsafe to keep them in that type of heat.

I know some of you will say I should have gotten a water to hydrate myself. Tell that to the 50 or so people standing in each line. They were out of water by halftime.

Now about the game ...

1.) Groves Stadium, errr, BB&T Field, whatever the heck it is called -- pure junk of a stadium. I don't care what anyone says about it being a beautiful stadium. It literally makes NAIA stadiums I have been to look like Heaven. Their field is beautiful, but the actual stadium and its layout is garbage. The replay board looked like something from the 70's. More on this later.

2.) Besides the Wake student section, that stadium was packed with red and white. Their motto of 'Paint It Black' was weakkkkk. The west side of the stadium (Wake's side) was mostly white. The upper corners of Wake's side was painted red as well. The east side of the stadium was painted red as well, besides the student section. The only Wake Forest fans I saw on the east side were 2 kids in front of me (their parents were Nebraska fans), and about 5 kids towards the first row. But I do have to give credit to their students, they are freakin' loud.

If I'm guessing on the attendance, probably 55-45 in favor of Nebraska.

4.) Two things I noticed about the QB's -- Patrick Witt has switched his number to #2, and Zac Lee was absent today. Either he is definitely taking a redshirt, or he simply didn't make the trip.

5.) Jaivorio Burkes is a large, large, LARGE man.

6.) When people talked about Adi Kunalic having a different sound when he kicks the ball, they were not lying. If you have played baseball, and your coach has ever made you hit a tire with a bat, it sounds pretty much like that.

7.) While I'm on the subject of kickers, I want to compare Henery to Kunalic. Unless Henery simply cannot kickoff, Kunalic doesn't need to be out there right now. He still has quite a bit to learn about harnessing his leg strength, plus getting much more height on his kicks. I'll talk more about KO's in a minute. But Henery's leg strength is NOT behind Kunalic's at all. Henery hit two 57 yard FGs in warmups with room to spare, back-to-back I might add.

8.) Our KO coverage was fantastic today. Kunalic's low liners he tries to put out of the end zone are going to haunt us sooner or later. He literally gives them zero chance to in the position they truly need to be. If not for guys like Thenarse, Blue and Octo, we would be suffering big time.

9.) Kevin Dixon. Literally, a waste of space today. I know our entire defensive line suffered today, but my God, he was getting murdered at the POA today.

10.) It seemed our defensive ends and OLB's have no idea about containment at all versus a misdirection team. How many times were they going to crash in on a fake handoff, only to be fooled? It literally got sickening how they were not willing to stay home on the outside.

11.) Wake kicked the dog out of us up front -- on both sides of the ball. Carl Nicks, just wow. If he plays a much more horrid game than he did today, I may go smack him in the face and ask him if he knows what game he is playing. I literally felt sorry for Keller when he dropped back because of Nicks.

12.) Still wondering if Suh hurt his oblique. When Green was helped off (Dixon also got hurt on the play), Suh came off as well in some pain. Looked they were trying to stretch out his midsection while he was trying to catch his breath a bit.

13.) I'm sure I am missing some things I wanted to say, but was the last INT a pick or not? That replay board was so craptacular, I still have no clue if it was or wasn't. From the view (or lack thereof) they gave us, it certainly looked like an INT.

14.) Ah yes, how can I forget the two rollout passes we were burnt on. The first where Asante and Green got their coverages mixed up (definitely looked like Green's man), and when Murillo got beat for the huge gain to the 1 yard line. We finally rolled safety help over the top, along with a corner to put an end to that play working. Hodges still got a 6-7 yard gain on a run, IIRC.

Fantastic notes of the game. Well put, I noticed you were upset with some of the players(interesting), but who was missing their contament assignments,

Because of the heat, do you think Wake got the better of us because of it?

First and foremost ...

Mary Mother of God, it was unbelievably hot. I heard they were talking about it on TV, but unless you were there, you have NO idea how hot it was. It was supposedly 95 there (and my sunburns can attest to this), but with the concrete steps and walk, plus the metal bleachers, who the heck knows how hot it really was for the fans. I'm guessing 120+ for the game.

Literally, I was there 90 minutes before kickoff, by the 3rd quarter I was literally going to pass out. I had screamed my lungs out, standing up the entire game and I had to sit for half of the 3rd quarter, and until 2 mins to go in the 4th when I told the guy in front of me to just pick me up if I fall over.

A few parents had to leave the game with their kids because it literally was unsafe to keep them in that type of heat.

I know some of you will say I should have gotten a water to hydrate myself. Tell that to the 50 or so people standing in each line. They were out of water by halftime.

Now about the game ...

1.) Groves Stadium, errr, BB&T Field, whatever the heck it is called -- pure junk of a stadium. I don't care what anyone says about it being a beautiful stadium. It literally makes NAIA stadiums I have been to look like Heaven. Their field is beautiful, but the actual stadium and its layout is garbage. The replay board looked like something from the 70's. More on this later.

2.) Besides the Wake student section, that stadium was packed with red and white. Their motto of 'Paint It Black' was weakkkkk. The west side of the stadium (Wake's side) was mostly white. The upper corners of Wake's side was painted red as well. The east side of the stadium was painted red as well, besides the student section. The only Wake Forest fans I saw on the east side were 2 kids in front of me (their parents were Nebraska fans), and about 5 kids towards the first row. But I do have to give credit to their students, they are freakin' loud.

If I'm guessing on the attendance, probably 55-45 in favor of Nebraska.

4.) Two things I noticed about the QB's -- Patrick Witt has switched his number to #2, and Zac Lee was absent today. Either he is definitely taking a redshirt, or he simply didn't make the trip.

5.) Jaivorio Burkes is a large, large, LARGE man.

6.) When people talked about Adi Kunalic having a different sound when he kicks the ball, they were not lying. If you have played baseball, and your coach has ever made you hit a tire with a bat, it sounds pretty much like that.

7.) While I'm on the subject of kickers, I want to compare Henery to Kunalic. Unless Henery simply cannot kickoff, Kunalic doesn't need to be out there right now. He still has quite a bit to learn about harnessing his leg strength, plus getting much more height on his kicks. I'll talk more about KO's in a minute. But Henery's leg strength is NOT behind Kunalic's at all. Henery hit two 57 yard FGs in warmups with room to spare, back-to-back I might add.

8.) Our KO coverage was fantastic today. Kunalic's low liners he tries to put out of the end zone are going to haunt us sooner or later. He literally gives them zero chance to in the position they truly need to be. If not for guys like Thenarse, Blue and Octo, we would be suffering big time.

9.) Kevin Dixon. Literally, a waste of space today. I know our entire defensive line suffered today, but my God, he was getting murdered at the POA today.

10.) It seemed our defensive ends and OLB's have no idea about containment at all versus a misdirection team. How many times were they going to crash in on a fake handoff, only to be fooled? It literally got sickening how they were not willing to stay home on the outside.

11.) Wake kicked the dog out of us up front -- on both sides of the ball. Carl Nicks, just wow. If he plays a much more horrid game than he did today, I may go smack him in the face and ask him if he knows what game he is playing. I literally felt sorry for Keller when he dropped back because of Nicks.

12.) Still wondering if Suh hurt his oblique. When Green was helped off (Dixon also got hurt on the play), Suh came off as well in some pain. Looked they were trying to stretch out his midsection while he was trying to catch his breath a bit.

13.) I'm sure I am missing some things I wanted to say, but was the last INT a pick or not? That replay board was so craptacular, I still have no clue if it was or wasn't. From the view (or lack thereof) they gave us, it certainly looked like an INT.

14.) Ah yes, how can I forget the two rollout passes we were burnt on. The first where Asante and Green got their coverages mixed up (definitely looked like Green's man), and when Murillo got beat for the huge gain to the 1 yard line. We finally rolled safety help over the top, along with a corner to put an end to that play working. Hodges still got a 6-7 yard gain on a run, IIRC.

Did they ever Say how hot it was on the field because if it was that hot in the stand's wouldn't it be just as hot if not worse on the field?

But the WR's had a case of the dropsies today as well.

Unfortunately, I think that is something we will just have to live with for the rest of the season. The same people that are dropping passes this year dropped them last year as well. I know they work this in practice (catching the ball, not dropping it) but I have to wonder if you can ever really coach good hands or if it is something you are just born with.

Well obviously you are born with the athletic talent alone to play D1 football, but they have drills to help receiver catch the balls better. Just by practicing they should be getting better so it's confusing to me??

ON the pregame radio show, they were talking about Lee and how he is the scout team quarterback because he did not get the reps needed in Spring and Fall to move up the depth chart. It sounds like he is a definite redshirt. He did not travel with the team yesterday but it sounded like he could have (is there a limit for travel squad on nonconference games).

Fantastic notes of the game. Well put, I noticed you were upset with some of the players(interesting), but who was missing their contament assignments,

Because of the heat, do you think Wake got the better of us because of it?

Actually, no. If the game had become more one sided in terms of ToP, then maybe I would believe. I may even believe it if the butt whippin' they gave us on both lines had happened later in the game, but this was a 4 quarter whippin' on both lines. As the game wore on, you could tell the heat was getting to both teams, especially our LB's who kept trying to arm tackle.

And about containment -- it may have been coaching, may have been the players. I cannot really comment because I do not know the scheme and how Coz would run containment. But when WF continues to run a fake handoff inside, then sweep around the end that our DE's and OLB's were crashing in on, it does make me wonder why they wouldn't be more content with staying home to break up a potentially big running play.

Did they ever Say how hot it was on the field because if it was that hot in the stand's wouldn't it be just as hot if not worse on the field?

To be honest, I would say it was cooler on the field than it was in the stands. Think of it this way, if you have ever felt the heat coming from your car after a hot day in the sun, that was the type of heat that were coming off the bleachers. I'm 6 foot 6, so my legs were almost buried in the back of the bench in front of me, but I had to make sure not to let my legs hit that metal because it would literally burn me. Then you add in the concrete (and you know how hot that will make anything), it was just unbelievable how hot it got.

Speaking of those bleachers, what in the he** was that black junk they had all over their seats? People were getting up all around me with black junk all over their clothes.

But with little to no cloud cover all day, it was just unbelievable how hot it was yesterday. I mean, that was my first Husker game yesterday, but if I had the chance to go back under those same conditions, I would not go.