I'm not DOWN....Are You?

Armistead

I feel pretty good about the never give up effort of the offense. But I'm sure glad Craig Bohl had the D work extra hard on tackling this week.

Nebraska needed to play near perfect to have a chance and everything was going well when it was a promising 10-7. Then just like last year they catch an unbelievable lucky break when a fumble bounces perfect for them right to their player who advances it just like it was written that way. Actually I'm certain USC worked all week with a team of writers, a director, choreographer, and stunt coordinator so they could pull that off just right. Nothing too good for Carol's boys.

I'll say the game showed we are no where near a top ten team yet. Then again yesterday exposed some other pretenders like maybe...UCLA?

But we did lose to the NUMBER ONE team that some claim is their best of the last seven years. The season will determine whether that is true but there is no shame in getting beat by one of the best teams in the country.

Side note: Heck they are playing with our players! I heard channel 7 mention that Nebraska recruited 56 of the USC players while USC recruited only two of Nebraska's. I think we'll close that gap.

No they claimed this was the best defense in their 7 years. I dont remember anyone saying this was their best offensive line, rb and qb.

Let face it most of the NU teams of the past and even some of Solichs teams would have ran for yards and points against this defensive line. Once you can make holes that big in the middle the games over.

My biggest nightmare would be seeing West Virginia offense against this defense.I could picture the QB and rb having 200 yds each and their freshman backup having 150.

One thing I took away from this game is our offense can move the ball against USC and that's good. However we could only move it one dimensionally. We couldn't rush against them, but we could pass. I think if we get into an offensive shootout with any of the teams left on our schedule we can win those games. Our defense needs to get serious very quickly because the sh#t is about to hit the fan if they don't!!!!

One thing I took away from this game is our offense can move the ball against USC and that's good. However we could only move it one dimensionally. We couldn't rush against them, but we could pass. I think if we get into an offensive shootout with any of the teams left on our schedule we can win those games. Our defense needs to get serious very quickly because the sh#t is about to hit the fan if they don't!!!!

Good news is we're not apt to face an O-line nearly as salty as the one we saw Saturday night. Best case scenario: our defense gets a fire under its ass and comes out sacrificing their bodies to make plays. Enough of this arm tackling, wussy shoulder pushing nonsese. Just get out there and hit somebody. I think these guys will learn a lot from this game. Maybe finally something will go our way and we'll see more of that Nevada performance creep into our conference schedule. A&M has me worried after last night, but by the time we have them in Memorial Stadium, I think we should be a bit better off with a more experienced and cohesive unit.

I was pretty upset at the end of the game but when I really thought about it I just realized that football is a very complex and funny sport when it comes down to it. It's all about momentum, and when that USC player was down on the field for 15 minutes it stopped all of ours. All I can say about that kickoff which was fumbled and returned into our terrioty is "thats football". I am very dissapointed in the defense though. I was hoping to see more outta Mckeon. He seemed slow and sometimes scared out there. Octavien was the only LB I really saw show up to play. And hell if we woulda tackled it would have been a completely different game.....sometimes all it comes down to is the basics.

But in the big scheme of things all I can ask the Nebraska football team is to be competitive. They never gave up and kept fighting. Sam Keller is great and Purify is almost unstoppable. And how great was it to see Glenn out there running like he used to?!?!?

The season is not over and this team is going to do great things, I can feel it.

Bring on Ball State!!!

GO BIG RED!!!

Please tell me what in the second quarter was good for our team.? USC didn't punt and had 2 long drives. Tell me what was good about the second quarter after ouf field goal.

You consider it encouraging that we could move the ball against a defense playing prevent and with no real effort? WHY?

I'll tell you why, it's because he's a homer.gif.

The 4th qtr stats mean about as much as our game next week vs Ball State does.

We didn't catch ANY breaks. That fumble was the key to the game...We couldn't have played special teams any better that play...and they still get it to the 45

I am not down...I am encouraged (as long as defense can rebound)

I am down because our defense sucks!!! Cosgrove never had a good defense in Wisconson. Maybe why they never won a title.

Had 2 defenses that were rated in the top 2 in the country and won 2 Rose Bowl titles there. Last night sucked, but he has been successful before.

HUSKER 37...Thanks!!! I needed that...errr...those!! You Rock!!

:corndance:corndance:corndance

Thanks..That Beatles song got in me 'ead as soon as I read the title of this thread "I'm not DOWN....Are You?" ..Thank God for Youtube so I didn't have to search my CD collection to get it out of my head..The "Goin' Down" song by Freddie King seemed to help soothe my pain as well.

...Good news is we're not apt to face an O-line nearly as salty as the one we saw Saturday night...

You know that for sure?

This was the 1st I'd heard USC's line talked about..Hopefully, the rest of our opponents O-lines won't have "career days" against us.

Is it just me, or has the SEC stolen the B-12's Defenses and the Big12 gotten stuck with the PAC10's Offenses and Defenses?.

There seems to be a rip in the space/time continuum? (The curvature occurs as a result of the influence of mass against movement in time).

Anybody got a Flux capacitor on 'em?

flux_capacitor.jpg

I'm not down either. Yea, it always sucks to lose...but if you look at the schedule, every single game is VERY winnable. Texas was lackluster, missery always finds a way to choke, and aggy has looked horrible.

Yes but we will probably find a way to lose to Texas and Mizzou. This staff (or maybe it's the lack of leadership among players) can't get these guys ready for road games. Championship caliber teams win on the road. I hope I'm wrong, but what have we done the past in '06 and '07 to suggest that our road play will be different?

I'm new to this board but old in watching Husker football. Granted, I think that many of us expected the Huskers to at least be competitive but I can remember when the Huskers were ranked #1 and would go into a 14th ranked 'house' and beat the crap outta anyone there. Why did we expect that USC would be any different? While I love our passion I think it might've been a tad misplaced. This IS the #1 team in the nation. I'm sure if you go back in their history, you would find dry times as well. Let them have their 5 minutes of fame. They are a good team.

Having said that, I did miss the Blackshirts. Where were they? Because when I looked at where their position should've been playing, they weren't there? I'm for giving these new recruits a crack at the job. Why keep them on the sidelines when they are itching to play? They couldn't have done any worse than what I saw on Saturday night.

I'm also concerned that there was an absence of adjustments made at halftime. They just kept doing the same 'not working' thing?

Anyway, I'm not down either. I think that if the coaching staff is smart they will pick that USC game apart and look at every aspect of it. If they can improve on even half of the mistakes we made Saturday night, this Husker team could be looking at a 12-1 record this year.

Love this team! Always have ....always will

TLS2

P.S. I also think they should have a better way to take care of onfield injuries. If a player cannot stand on their own, get the stretcher out there and get them off the field. It will be better for the injured player and for the game. I felt that having that cool down time really hurt Nebraska. (I also wondered what they do during that time? Are they with the coach going over what they will do next? Or are they just standing around? Anyone know? I hate it when kids get hurt in that game. I know everyone had that boy that got hurt in the NFL on their mind when the first kid went down. Yeah, I'm older than dirt! All of those kids are just boys to me, especially the young college kids. I think we sometimes forget that.)

I'm new to this board but old in watching Husker football. Granted, I think that many of us expected the Huskers to at least be competitive but I can remember when the Huskers were ranked #1 and would go into a 14th ranked 'house' and beat the crap outta anyone there. Why did we expect that USC would be any different? While I love our passion I think it might've been a tad misplaced. This IS the #1 team in the nation. I'm sure if you go back in their history, you would find dry times as well. Let them have their 5 minutes of fame. They are a good team.

Having said that, I did miss the Blackshirts. Where were they? Because when I looked at where their position should've been playing, they weren't there? I'm for giving these new recruits a crack at the job. Why keep them on the sidelines when they are itching to play? They couldn't have done any worse than what I saw on Saturday night.

I'm also concerned that there was an absence of adjustments made at halftime. They just kept doing the same 'not working' thing?

Anyway, I'm not down either. I think that if the coaching staff is smart they will pick that USC game apart and look at every aspect of it. If they can improve on even half of the mistakes we made Saturday night, this Husker team could be looking at a 12-1 record this year.

Love this team! Always have ....always will

TLS2

P.S. I also think they should have a better way to take care of onfield injuries. If a player cannot stand on their own, get the stretcher out there and get them off the field. It will be better for the injured player and for the game. I felt that having that cool down time really hurt Nebraska. (I also wondered what they do during that time? Are they with the coach going over what they will do next? Or are they just standing around? Anyone know? I hate it when kids get hurt in that game. I know everyone had that boy that got hurt in the NFL on their mind when the first kid went down. Yeah, I'm older than dirt! All of those kids are just boys to me, especially the young college kids. I think we sometimes forget that.)

Welcome TLs2

With the potential for neck injuries and any movement possibly causing further damage, you almost have to err on the side of safety and try to remember this is only a game.

As for the Blackshirts not being "where their position should've been playing"

Defenses aren't that simple anymore..Sometimes you have to Double cover a guy, leaving your "normal" responsibilities..The trick is to use the guy that will have the least dire consequences depending on what you suspect the Offense is planning on doing (Usually based on their formation)..Why Coaches like Cally likes to have so much motion before the snap..So the defense has to use spy technology and try to make determinations of signals based on prior secret filming (See bill belichick)