What's it going to take

Fan

Fan has a few good points. What is the driving force for superior WCO athletes to come to Lincoln? Are they going to come here over Southern California or Florida? No. What I would absolutely love to see is us go back to the Option, recruit the best Option players (because where else are they going to go to play D1 ball?) and dominate again.

Sadly, I don't think that will ever happen.

^^^ Navy???

Right now it looks like West Virginia

I am a Bama fan but I have always liked Nebraska football. I have a cousin that graduated from there and I've read "The Assembly Line", so don't call me a flamer please. What's it going to take for Nebraska fans to see that Callahan can't coach in this league. West Coast type coaches are not defensive minded enough for real football, with Pete Carroll being the exception. Here is my take on Nebraska football the past few years. All Nebraska fans and media heard was that Nebraska couldn't pass, Nebraska can't pass. blah blah blah. (example: Saturday I saw a sign on gameday that said "Hey Herbstreit, we throw it now.) So after winning 9 -13 games a year for 32 straight years running the football ya'll decide it wasn't working anymore. After another 10 win season you fire the coach, granted not the greates recruiter, but assistants can make up for that. In walks Callahan and out walks the blackshirts. The reason the blackshirts were so good was becuse they went up against smashmouth football every day. Now they go against the run but with finess passing. Barf !! You can call it rebuilding but I call it terrible coaching. Callahan will put all of his best athletes on offense and the defense will continue to suffer. Its time for Nebraska to go back to smashmouth option type football. The option is making a comeback anyway. The West Coast offense can become stale really quick, just ask Auburn and Al Borges. Do you people want to be known as the UCLA of the Big 12 from now on? All in the name of the foward pass. These are just my opinions and I was curious about how Nebraska fans felt. Reading this forum and listening to their fans has made me think ya'll have accepted mediocrity. I am not trying to stir the pot. I just like talking football and I miss watching Nebraska pound it down people's throat. If you want to argue about the validity of the foward pass, fine, I like debates on that. Most people say you have to throw to win these days. That is not exactly true. You must be able to pass to win. There is a difference. Anyway, I feel like Bama is on the rise and I believe Nebraska should be too, but it won't be with Callahan.

I would say your spot on. The problem was Solich was'nt the answer he made the power running game a one man team (Crouch) and got rid of the RB and FB.

Husker fans took the Colorado loss like it somehow was the offense fault. The same mentality that Husker fans used to hear from the news media and other fans how the option was outdated no can win with it this was even durring our NC runs. Somehow the Huskers fans became convinced that this was true and now Nebraska has lost any identity.

Teams that pass for 300 to 400 usually have a worse record then teams that can run for 300 yards.

And you are basing this on...................... <_<

I would say your spot on. The problem was Solich was'nt the answer he made the power running game a one man team (Crouch) and got rid of the RB and FB.

Husker fans took the Colorado loss like it somehow was the offense fault. The same mentality that Husker fans used to hear from the news media and other fans how the option was outdated no can win with it this was even durring our NC runs. Somehow the Huskers fans became convinced that this was true and now Nebraska has lost any identity.

Teams that pass for 300 to 400 usually have a worse record then teams that can run for 300 yards.

Agreed. No one should have ever listened to Herb Kirkstreit or Lee Corso. Kirkstreit played QB for Ohio State. If Corso were a good coach he'd probably still be doing it (41-68 at Indiana).

I am a Bama fan but I have always liked Nebraska football. I have a cousin that graduated from there and I've read "The Assembly Line", so don't call me a flamer please. What's it going to take for Nebraska fans to see that Callahan can't coach in this league. West Coast type coaches are not defensive minded enough for real football, with Pete Carroll being the exception. Here is my take on Nebraska football the past few years. All Nebraska fans and media heard was that Nebraska couldn't pass, Nebraska can't pass. blah blah blah. (example: Saturday I saw a sign on gameday that said "Hey Herbstreit, we throw it now.) So after winning 9 -13 games a year for 32 straight years running the football ya'll decide it wasn't working anymore. After another 10 win season you fire the coach, granted not the greates recruiter, but assistants can make up for that. In walks Callahan and out walks the blackshirts. The reason the blackshirts were so good was becuse they went up against smashmouth football every day. Now they go against the run but with finess passing. Barf !! You can call it rebuilding but I call it terrible coaching. Callahan will put all of his best athletes on offense and the defense will continue to suffer. Its time for Nebraska to go back to smashmouth option type football. The option is making a comeback anyway. The West Coast offense can become stale really quick, just ask Auburn and Al Borges. Do you people want to be known as the UCLA of the Big 12 from now on? All in the name of the foward pass. These are just my opinions and I was curious about how Nebraska fans felt. Reading this forum and listening to their fans has made me think ya'll have accepted mediocrity. I am not trying to stir the pot. I just like talking football and I miss watching Nebraska pound it down people's throat. If you want to argue about the validity of the foward pass, fine, I like debates on that. Most people say you have to throw to win these days. That is not exactly true. You must be able to pass to win. There is a difference. Anyway, I feel like Bama is on the rise and I believe Nebraska should be too, but it won't be with Callahan.

No statitics just a theory. :lol: I can give a recent example that happened last saturday night to help my theory.

No statitics just a theory. :lol: I can give a recent example that happened last saturday night to help my theory.

If we were an option team...the score would have been 49-0 Saturday. Defenses are bigger and faster than they used to be. The option is dead. WVU mixes it in occasionally, but they use Slaton and White in a whole bunch of creative formations that make the option effective the few times they go to it. If you're going to beat a top 10 defense, you need balance.

If we were an option team...the score would have been 49-0 Saturday. Defenses are bigger and faster than they used to be. The option is dead. WVU mixes it in occasionally, but they use Slaton and White in a whole bunch of creative formations that make the option effective the few times they go to it. If you're going to beat a top 10 defense, you need balance.

How's this. Have dominant offensive line that can both drive block and pocket protect, prevent penetration and get out to the second level of the defense on most plays and then IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT OFFENSIVE SYSTEM YOU RUN. It will work. Sure balance is nice and is a goal. But really, a dominant OL is what it takes.

The 1995 NU offense would average 50 points a game in the 2007 NU schedule. They would put up copious amounts of points even on this years USC team. That OL was that dominant. The current USC team as an OL that is overwhelming as well. Any offensive scheme ran with lines like these work.

This is not to say that schemes are not important. They are. But OL execution is the limiting factor.

By the way, in this perhaps the NU future is brighter. We have DJ Jones, Marcel jones, Steinkuler, Hoch, Givins, hopefully Robinson and several other young OL that may be several levels above the current line.

How's this. Have dominant offensive line that can both drive block and pocket protect, prevent penetration and get out to the second level of the defense on most plays and then IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT OFFENSIVE SYSTEM YOU RUN. It will work. Sure balance is nice and is a goal. But really, a dominant OL is what it takes.

The 1995 NU offense would average 50 points a game in the 2007 NU schedule. They would put up copious amounts of points even on this years USC team. That OL was that dominant. The current USC team as an OL that is overwhelming as well. Any offensive scheme ran with lines like these work.

This is not to say that schemes are not important. They are. But OL execution is the limiting factor.

By the way, in this perhaps the NU future is brighter. We have DJ Jones, Marcel jones, Steinkuler, Hoch, Givins, hopefully Robinson and several other young OL that may be several levels above the current line.

You'll get no argument from me there...it all starts and ends with that OL

The whole "defenses are bigger, stronger, faster" thing is dumb. So are the offenses!!!

Balance is a myth. Was USC balanced Saturday night?

LMAO !! The option is dead? Tell that to the TCU horned frogs. The zone read is an option play. The National Champions last year uses the zone read as their base play. Speed does not kill the option. The whole entire point of the option is to neutralize speed. Defenses can not play "flying to the football". They have to play assignment football. NFL teams don't run the option because they can't afford getting their QB's hit every other play. QBs cost money in the NFL. One last thing. Back in the day Nebraska ran the inside and outside zone run plays. They ran option only about 30% of the time according to Milt Tenopir. (sp?) The option is dead? Wow !!! Football 101 folks, football 101 !

LOL!!!!

Nobody likes hearing the truth from people outside of the state. It is plainly obvious to non NU kool aid lovers what the truth about Clownahan and our team but you will never get them to see without their rosey RED glasses.

FAN try this : pleasefirecallahan.com

It will be updated later today also. But it will be with a Cosgrove emphasis.

try this...

62xc5sj.jpg

use it and go away. Seriously, why do you even bother? You are a 'convenience fan'. You are only a fan when everything is going good. One loss, and you want to fire everyone. You don't know what you want, except change. You offer no explanation, no suggestions, no reasoning, no nothing. Go run your hate website and disappear. Since I'm used to disappointment, I'm sure you won't and will continue to lurk and flame.

LOL!!!!

Nobody likes hearing the truth from people outside of the state. It is plainly obvious to non NU kool aid lovers what the truth about Clownahan and our team but you will never get them to see without their rosey RED glasses.

try this...

62xc5sj.jpg

use it and go away. Seriously, why do you even bother? You are a 'convenience fan'. You are only a fan when everything is going good. One loss, and you want to fire everyone. You don't know what you want, except change. You offer no explanation, no suggestions, no reasoning, no nothing. Go run your hate website and disappear. Since I'm used to disappointment, I'm sure you won't and will continue to lurk and flame.

For "I Bleed Red". Trust me Jeff Teford is not the answer. You will be in the same boat as you are now. No defense.

LOL!!!!

try this...

62xc5sj.jpg

For "I Bleed Red". Trust me Jeff Teford is not the answer. You will be in the same boat as you are now. No defense.

I understand you point but BC isn't the reason for our defense either accept that he keeps on Coz. I think Tedford can coach a team with defense in the Big 12, it will be up to the d coordinator.

LOL!!!!

try this...

62xc5sj.jpg

LOL......that is so funny. Foppa you never flame do you????? Talk to me after you have tried on a pair of shoulder pads. I have been a fan longer than you have been alive, in the good, bad and ugly. And I am in AZ so I am choosing to be a fan, not just born into blindness.

IMO, NU should not go back to the option. I believe the spread option would better suit us than the old traditional option. The spread widens out the field a lot more. I have to admit, I thought Tebow down there in Florida was a joke last year and we'd see his true colors this year. I was wrong. He can run the ball and we all knew that, but the guy can throw as well. He played great last weekend from what little of the game I saw. I'm impressed with the spread, and I think we have recruited a couple of QB's that could run the spread very well.

I will have to agree with putting all the quality players on the offense. We have a guy showing promise in the seconday only to move him to RB so he can be 4th or 5th string? Wtf. Also, the incoming recruits that witnessed the shilacking on Saturday showed me the problem. The two receivers were 4 star recruits. The DB's were all 3 star recruits. It's kind of obvious we're going after offensive players a lot harder than we're going after defensive players.

I guess you get what you pay for. Isn't Saban making like 4 million? BC will be the 4th highest paid coach in the Big 12 when his extension kicks in. So far, I'd say we're getting what we paid for. We'll probably be 4th in the Big 12. Wasn't Pete Carroll a D coordinator once upon a time? I don't know how you can say he's the exception when his background is on defense.