Stop the nonsense

I'm tired of seeing all of this crap about we should get rid of Cosgrove. I don't understand all the scrutiny he has been receiving. We know the defense has not played well the past couple games....but come on!

Having struggles against the #1 team in the nation and the defending ACC champion are not that bad considering we came out of that 1-1. And Nevada was a good team with a difficult offense to learn, we could have easily choked there but instead we beat, what, 52-10. Talk about a crappy coach huh. Come on!

And now you want to blame everything on Ruud and McKeon. These guys have done nothing but fight their butts off for the Huskers. Hell, last week you loved these guys and now you dont want them to start. If you want to blame any of the defensive personel than criticize the dline for not knowing how to wrap up.

Now as a former player and coach, I remember getting blasted everytime I didn't wrap up. How many years have we watched this macho style tackling where the player tries to knock the guy off his feat with a good blast only to have that individual gain another 15 yards because he didn't wrap him up. That is coaching my friend and has nothing to do with the player. Great defensive players are taught how to tackle we have yet to learn that on alot of occasions lately.

And Ruud and McKeon are products of coaching, they are great players and will do well as you say if the D-line does there job to keep guys off of them. That is their responsibility, I understand that point you made. But the big picture is we have been waiting a long time for a transition back to the style of football that won Championships not to just compete to win 8 or 9 games and compete for a backseat bowl berth. This coaching staff will not lead us to the promise land, I guarantee you that Sir.

I don't know if Cosgrove should be fired, but he certainly has not shown himself to be a great coach. Remember USC's first drive where Herbstreit kept pointing out that the defense would have stopped the running back for a loss or a short gain if a given defensive player had not been out of position? That happened like three times in that four (?) play drive. That is all about coaching.

I don't know if Cosgrove should be fired, but he certainly has not shown himself to be a great coach. Remember USC's first drive where Herbstreit kept pointing out that the defense would have stopped the running back for a loss or a short gain if a given defensive player had not been out of position? That happened like three times in that four (?) play drive. That is all about coaching.

It could be about coaching. It could still be that the player put himself out of position, even if he knew better.

I think that the fact his defenses have finished 56th, 26th, and 56th in the country the past three years is reason enough to warrant a change. Our offense will finish in the top 20 probably every year with Callahan from here on out. If we had even a defense that could finish in the top 25, we'd be competing for titles. Cosgrove's units weren't that good at Wisconsin, and they havent been since he got here.

I think that the fact his defenses have finished 56th, 26th, and 56th in the country the past three years is reason enough to warrant a change. Our offense will finish in the top 20 probably every year with Callahan from here on out. If we had even a defense that could finish in the top 25, we'd be competing for titles. Cosgrove's units weren't that good at Wisconsin, and they havent been since he got here.

The defense has finished in the top 25 in points allowed per game in the past 2 seasons. Look it up.

Regardless of what the original poster says, Ruud and McKeon played awful on saturday and need to step it up. They consistently ran themselves out of plays.

AMEN!!!

This thread is the problem in husker nation. i dont care if Ruud and Mckeon have fought there asses off for this program or not. I dont care if they are legacy's or captains or whatever. When they are not playing well they DONT GET PASSES. Does working his ass of for 4 years award Ruud the right to start. In a real program the answer is HELL NO. the best players play, it happens all the time, incumbent starters get beat out. statement like "these guys have done nothing but fight there buts off for the huskers" are a Joke.

this post symbolizes our problems. in the real world if you cant cut it you get replaced. Well sorry to tell you but Ruud and McKeon are not cutting it. in fact they didnt cut it last year either. The joke is on us, coz slept well saturday night because he knows his job is safe, he knows that a majority of Husker Nation has grown to accept sub par. This post the original post makes me want to puke

This thread is the problem in husker nation. i dont care if Ruud and Mckeon have fought there asses off for this program or not. I dont care if they are legacy's or captains or whatever. When they are not playing well they DONT GET PASSES. Does working his ass of for 4 years award Ruud the right to start. In a real program the answer is HELL NO. the best players play, it happens all the time, incumbent starters get beat out. statement like "these guys have done nothing but fight there buts off for the huskers" are a Joke.

this post symbolizes our problems. in the real world if you cant cut it you get replaced. Well sorry to tell you but Ruud and McKeon are not cutting it. in fact they didnt cut it last year either. The joke is on us, coz slept well saturday night because he knows his job is safe, he knows that a majority of Husker Nation has grown to accept sub par. This post the original post makes me want to puke

Once again, AMEN to that and many other comments similar. This team is not headed in the right direction and those that think it is just haven't got the guts to say it because they dont want to seem disloyal. None of us who make comments like this are disloyal, we just want this program back where it belongs at the top and not in the middle or worse yet the bottom.

Amen. I dont think Cally should go anywhere but sometimes decisions need made. there are 3 parts to all football teams. the best teams excel in all 3 parts. Special Teams, ours is better this year and has gotten better with Cally. Offense, our offense is coming along fine. Defense - heres a revelation, WE SUCK, it is not coming along in the least. so what does that tell ya. The guy in charge needs changed. It happens all the time, why cant we do this. Cally is not the problem Coz is. Should Cally continue to let Coz provide a sub standard D the next couple of years then my opinion changes.

Steve Pedersen, while most hate him, I love him. He has balls and that is what it takes. Cally may not want to get rid of his best friend, but Steve dont care, i can see a situation where it is forced and if cally doesnt like it and leaves then so be it. Without a really good defense any team will be mediocre

Change the man or Change the MAN

It could be about coaching. It could still be that the player put himself out of position, even if he knew better.

You're absolutely right. It could be just about the player. But when it happens a few times in a row, with different players, it makes me suspect it is more about coaching than with any individual player who has been taught the right way to do it...

The defense has finished in the top 25 in points allowed per game in the past 2 seasons. Look it up.

Regardless of what the original poster says, Ruud and McKeon played awful on saturday and need to step it up. They consistently ran themselves out of plays.

I was looking at the total defense stat, not points per game.

I was looking at the total defense stat, not points per game.

Since points allowed/scored is the true measure in wins and losses, wouldn't points allowed be the stat that matters most for defense?

Since points allowed/scored is the true measure in wins and losses, wouldn't points allowed be the stat that matters most for defense?

Not at all. Too many unknown variables in the points allowed per game will skew the determination. For instance, suppose the offense had 10 turnovers on its own 15 yard line and the defense gave up 0 yards, and had two sacks, but the other team kicked 10 field goals, scoring 30 points. In that circumstance, you would probably say we had a pretty stout defense, but the points per game stat does not reflect that fact. Obviously that is an extreme example, but it explains why points allowed is not a very good stat for judging the defense.