Culbert Why?

robsker

Why is Culbert 4th - 5th string running back --- and likely to see less than 20 snaps all season languishing there when he has shown himself to be perhaps the best form tackler on the team? Why is he not out there as a Joker LB, a Will LB or a safety?

Is there a logical, defensible answer to this question? What possibly could the coaches be thinking?

For that matter, Thenarse?

Why do the energetic, fast, intense players (like these two) each of who can tackle, not seeing the light of day on our defense?

It is not like we have that many players who can form tackle in the open field.

Why is Culbert 4th - 5th string running back --- and likely to see less than 20 snaps all season languishing there when he has shown himself to be perhaps the best form tackler on the team? Why is he not out there as a Joker LB, a Will LB or a safety?

Is there a logical, defensible answer to this question? What possibly could the coaches be thinking?

Why do the energetic, fast, intense players (like these two) each of who can tackle, not seeing the light of day on our defense?

I wonder why he hasn't take green spot as safety.

Yeah...I would like to hear that the coaches are evaluating Culbert for some potential PT on defense. He was recruited as a DB after all, right? He's probably too small to be a Joker LB, if we were in a 3-4 base Octavien would probably be the one rushing the passer. In any case I think he could be an effective safety or Money LB. Worth a shot after all the poor tackling Saturday. But, it seems like BC, from his comments yesterday, thinks that the poor tackling Saturday was a one time aberration and something that can be fixed with the same personnel. I hope I'm wrong. And I hope BC is right.

I've wondered this as well. We are dying for athleticism at the safety spots. Asante has been a major bust so far, IMO.

I think the only real explanation for this is that perhaps Thenarse and Culbert don't have the playbook down yet.

Or, Cos is too beholden to upper-classmen.

Either way, I hope the open competition for spots results in some new blood on the defensive side. It's well overdue.

CoughDillardCough!

Yeah...I would like to hear that the coaches are evaluating Culbert for some potential PT on defense. He was recruited as a DB after all, right? He's probably too small to be a Joker LB, if we were in a 3-4 base Octavien would probably be the one rushing the passer. In any case I think he could be an effective safety or Money LB. Worth a shot after all the poor tackling Saturday. But, it seems like BC, from his comments yesterday, thinks that the poor tackling Saturday was a one time aberration and something that can be fixed with the same personnel. I hope I'm wrong. And I hope BC is right.

On the notion of size. LSU does not have a LB over 230 pounds and their OLB's are all in the 205 -210 range. But they are fast and quick. Their heaviest DE is 258 pounds and several are in the 240 range. Again quick and fat. And effective. If you look at most of the top defensive units their OLB's are at most ca. 215-220 pounds.

What were the sizes of OLB's like terrell Farley, Demorrio Williams, and most of the mid 1990's NU OLB's? Again, mostly in the 205 - 215 range. They were all fast and quick.

For contrast, we have the slow, non-quick and heavy OLB's and DE on NU now.

Culbert is 210 pounds --- plenty big enough to play OLB or Joker. Quickness, toughness, tackling skill trumps size. Of course, quickness, speed, tackling skill, toughness AND size is great (se NFL for that).

I also question if this type of activity affect why recruits refuse to come here and play right away.

On the notion of size. LSU does not have a LB over 230 pounds and their OLB's are all in the 205 -210 range. But they are fast and quick. Their heaviest DE is 258 pounds and several are in the 240 range. Again quick and fat. And effective. If you look at most of the top defensive units their OLB's are at most ca. 215-220 pounds.

What were the sizes of OLB's like terrell Farley, Demorrio Williams, and most of the mid 1990's NU OLB's? Again, mostly in the 205 - 215 range. They were all fast and quick.

For contrast, we have the slow, non-quick and heavy OLB's and DE on NU now.

Culbert is 210 pounds --- plenty big enough to play OLB or Joker. Quickness, toughness, tackling skill trumps size. Of course, quickness, speed, tackling skill, toughness AND size is great (se NFL for that).

Sorry, was looking at year-old stats on Culbert that had him at 195. Good points. I knew LSU's LBs were the smaller, faster type, but never realized their DEs were also. I do think a lack of speed along the DL and LBs was the main reason our guys weren't in position to tackle effectively the past two weeks.

Because our D coordinator cannot evaluate talent and adjust his defense to his players.

When I was at U of AZ and we were desert swarm we constantly changed our natural positions to suit the athleticism of the talent we had. Safeties started playing LB because of their speed and to help where our talent lacked. We did pretty good while I was there by adjusting our personnel and positions with the talent we had.

Because our D coordinator cannot evaluate talent and adjust his defense to his players.

When I was at U of AZ and we were desert swarm we constantly changed our natural positions to suit the athleticism of the talent we had. Safeties started playing LB because of their speed and to help where our talent lacked. We did pretty good while I was there by adjusting our personnel and positions with the talent we had.

I agree.....Coz does have talent that should allow him to make these type of adjustments.

It's a huge question to me as well because Culbert wants to play defense not offense!!!! Obviously our running backs are getting healthier and between Lucky, Glenn, and Castille they should be able to carry the load??? Put him back on defense get Green out of there and then put Thernarse as either a fast linebacker or have him play corner???

BY MITCH SHERMAN

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

LINCOLN - We interrupt the normal path of this column to try bringing a morsel of sensibility to the perception of football recruiting at Nebraska.

In the wake of Southern California's disposal of the Huskers on Saturday night at Memorial Stadium with a couple of dozen recruits on hand to watch as NU continued to sit many of its most promising prospects on the bench, there seems no better time to ask: At what point is it fair to say the bubble has burst on recruiting hype at Nebraska?

Going on 45 months now, we've heard about the ability of coach Bill Callahan and his staff to lure superior talent to Lincoln.

Presumably, that talent was going to make a difference on the field.

Sure, the Huskers look more athletic. They run faster in practice. But why, on a night like Saturday when NU trailed 42-10 after three quarters, did Rickey Thenarse, Keith Williams, Quentin Castille and Niles Paul continue to sit?

In the stands Saturday night sat running back Jonas Gray, another high-profile NU recruit. Gray, from Southfield, Mich., accepted the Huskers' scholarship offer in August.

He offered an intelligent analysis of the game, saying the Huskers lost it in the trenches. Two third-quarter interceptions killed momentum, Gray said, and the disparity in rushing yards (313-31) secured victory for USC.

Still, he said he enjoyed his visit.

"If anything, I came away from it higher on Nebraska," he said. "I'm excited about the future. Seeing what I saw, it makes me like the school and the team that much more. The atmosphere at Nebraska is definitely the best."

Gray said he's planning to come back - if not this weekend, then next month for the Texas A&M game and in December for the team banquet.

As for next year, Gray remains optimistic about his chance to play, even with Marlon Lucky and Cody Glenn scheduled to return as seniors.

"They told me the best player will start," he said, "and the best players will be on the field."

Sounds logical. Look across the field, where USC on Saturday played plenty of freshmen and sophomores, including true freshman center Kristofer O'Dowd. O'Dowd, an all-everything recruit last year, seemed to do just fine.

The past four years would indicate Gray may not get the same opportunity. Particularly at running back, since the start of last season, playing time from week to week for young players has proven erratic.

And consider this: The top five Callahan-recruited players, based solely on performance at Nebraska, are Zac Taylor, Terrence Nunn, Brandon Jackson, Maurice Purify and Cortney Grixby.

Taylor was less touted than another NU quarterback recruit, Harrison Beck. Nunn didn't get as much recruiting attention as Chris Brooks. Jackson's commitment received smaller headlines than Marlon Lucky's. Grixby was less touted than Zack Bowman and Andre Jones.

Aside from Grixby, a serviceable cornerback who's started 30 games, no defensive player recruited by Callahan out of high school has started more than three.

Somewhere along the way at Nebraska, a disconnect developed between potential and performance.

NU may cry foul here, but wrongly so. The Huskers fuel the propaganda by enabling those who operate recruiting Web sites to trumpet their recruiting success. Essentially, Nebraska wants the hype.

At some point, though, there comes a time when performance is all that matters. Maybe Saturday was a start.

We now return to regularly scheduled recruiting hype.