Steve Octavien

dbetz23

The problem with booing your team - or just one facet of it, such as the defense - is that it can actually have the opposite of the intended effect. Rather than motivating players it may actually make them start saying, "The hell with it - if the fans don't appreciate the effort, why try?"

This team has a real potential to be split down the middle by an "offense verses defense" mindset - booing the defensive players simply contributes to that.

I booed once, when Frankie London was in for a series at QB and then Frost was put back in. Nobody liked Frost at the time.

There's nothing wrong with the fans booing when the D is this bad. It's good that our fans are classy, but you've got to draw the line somewhere. As long as we don't do it all the time. You really can't put into words how bad the D looks right now. I'm glad the fans booed. It shows the players and coaches that this ain't up to Nebraska standards. None of them should be wearing blackshirts right now.

Doesn't matter. I don't think any situation warrants that reaction as a fan.

Fans can't boo? C'mon these guys are football players, if it bothers them that much, maybe they should give up their pads. I mean, what the hell do you think our future opponents are thinking right now? People know that this is not Blackshirt tradition, they expect better, they boo. Everyone on that field knew why they where booing, now either they can go into a hole and die, or they can grab this thing by the sack.

I really loke Octo, but bitching about the fans? The offense has a leader: Sam Keller, he leads by example, and has really started to take off IMO. Where is this elusive leader of the D?

Doesn't matter. I don't think any situation warrants that reaction as a fan.

Fans can't boo? C'mon these guys are football players, if it bothers them that much, maybe they should give up their pads. I mean, what the hell do you think our future opponents are thinking right now? People know that this is not Blackshirt tradition, they expect better, they boo. Everyone on that field knew why they where booing, now either they can go into a hole and die, or they can grab this thing by the sack.

I really loke Octo, but bitching about the fans? The offense has a leader: Sam Keller, he leads by example, and has really started to take off IMO. Where is this elusive leader of the D?

I think Bowman tried but no followed his lead.

Callahan said today that Octo came to him and said he messed up by saying what he said, and Cally said he understood but it was still unacceptable.

Pretty much what I thought, he was over-emotional after the game and said something he would regret after he had some time to cool off.

You cannot expect 85k fans to just sit there and take it when something like our defense going up in flames is taking place. That doesn't mean it's right, but it's going to happen. It's happened before, it will happen again.

I hope that Octo and Bowman band together and try and become team leaders and get our defense motivated again. Maybe Octo will shed his blackshirt as well. We need something as drastic as all players turning in their blackshirts with the intention of earning them back to turn around or defens this year.

And if that does happen, I sure as hell hope that Cosgrove is stingy with giving them back.

Callahan said on the big12 teleconfernce that, Octavian came to him and admited that he shouldn't had said that. I understand why he said that, it was the same reason I booed, it was an emotional game, and he was disappointed. I take back my booing, it doesn't show the recuirts we support the team.

edit- oops, I guess this a repeat

I still think it's naive to say "they're just kids, they don't deserve to be kicked when they're down." Football players at Division 1 schools are some of the most privileged 18-22 year olds in the country. To see those guys taking all their benefits and then going out and half-assing it on the field is a kick in the nuts to everybody that actually had to pay tuition and do their work in class. When I see Larry Asante underpursue and make half-assed efforts at arm tackling (and give up TDs on 2 or 3 consecutive possessions), I feel that he and his teammates are the ones acting shamefully. It was like they weren't even trying on Saturday. It was pathetic.