Can the rest of the staff pull the Defense around?

I ask this because certain 'well-informed' folks on other boards have intimated that CozBohl has quietly been relieved of his DC title and is only now coaching the Linebackers, with the Defense being run by committee/Callahan.

If that's the truth of the matter, can the rest of the staff get it done? Folks in the SEC were high on our defensive line coach when we got him, Elmo (despite last game) has actually done alright (this year) with our secondary (last game they were bad, but they did well the other three...), and we've got coaches like Watson that are known to carve defenses up...and one would assume you would have to know how a defense works before you can dissect them.

Anyway, is there any hope for a MeeChicken-style turnaround for this team, or are we doomed to a 6-6 season, a toilet bowl, and a mass suicide in Nebraska that makes Jonestown look like nothing?

I ask this because certain 'well-informed' folks on other boards have intimated that CozBohl has quietly been relieved of his DC title and is only now coaching the Linebackers, with the Defense being run by committee/Callahan.

I can only hope and pray. Unfortunately that doesn't bode well for our LB's.

But coaching by committee can't be any worse than coaching by CozBohl.

Regarding the topic "Can the rest of the staff pull the Defense around?"

..... No.

Back to back 40 at home.

One's luck, two is a trend. Buckle up & let's hope the offense can outscore. There's more than one way to have faith.

GBR!

I dont completely agree. I think if the toughen up practices, and change some schemes I think it can (and will) get better. will it happen before MU. I doubt it

Regarding the topic "Can the rest of the staff pull the Defense around?"

..... No.

Back to back 40 at home.

One's luck, two is a trend. Buckle up & let's hope the offense can outscore. There's more than one way to have faith.

GBR!

I dont completely agree. I think if the toughen up practices, and change some schemes I think it can (and will) get better. will it happen before MU. I doubt it

I see what you're saying, it's cool. I hope you are right!

I am only going by what I have seen over the past three years and 4 games this season. And I'm okay with my answer.

'committee'? oi! that don't sound good.

is this solid or just a rumor?

'committee'? oi! that don't sound good.

is this solid or just a rumor?

It's in between solid and just a rumor right now. The folks I've heard this from have been on about a couple of other issues (like Murtha's injury pre-USC), but I wouldn't, say, bet money that it's happening.

If I had a gun to my head, I'd believe it to be fact. Whether or not that pans out, we may not know until the end of the season. :(

Our biggest problem right now is getting pressure on the QB anyway. I don't care how well your players can read routes, hang with their man, or play coverage in zone...if the opposing QB has all day to sit back and throw the ball, you're going to get burned bad. I don't think our blitzes are disguised well enough, but beyond that our line just isn't getting the job done on pass rush. If everything else stayed the same, but the line managed to pressure the QB more, our defense would be in better shape. If we could then add some better blitz packages and disguise them well, they might actually be pretty decent.

Edit - Our line just doesn't get much penetration at all, whether it's a run or pass. That's gotta change.

I don't know if I buy that Cosgrove has been relieved of his DC status. Callahan made no mention of it today.. and I'm not sure this is the kind of thing that could be kept under the table. Although, now that the rumor is out there I'm sure it will get brought up and be confirmed/denied tomorrow.

When someone loses their coaching position, doesn't that have to be reported?

Our biggest problem right now is getting pressure on the QB anyway. I don't care how well your players can read routes, hang with their man, or play coverage in zone...if the opposing QB has all day to sit back and throw the ball, you're going to get burned bad. I don't think our blitzes are disguised well enough, but beyond that our line just isn't getting the job done on pass rush. If everything else stayed the same, but the line managed to pressure the QB more, our defense would be in better shape. If we could then add some better blitz packages and disguise them well, they might actually be pretty decent.

Edit - Our line just doesn't get much penetration at all, whether it's a run or pass. That's gotta change.

I agree.. the big reason why our defense was good in 2005 (well it was ranked 26th.. that's pretty good for a Cosgrove defense), was because we had some studs on the D-Line in Carriker, Moore, and Smith, and our linebackers were playing with a fire under them. We pretty much have the same Linebackers we did then though we have Octavien back, but they (with the exception of Octo) are not playing with a passion.

The Defensive line sets the temp for your defense, and we are REALLY missing Carriker and Moore.

I don't know if I buy that Cosgrove has been relieved of his DC status. Callahan made no mention of it today.. and I'm not sure this is the kind of thing that could be kept under the table. Although, now that the rumor is out there I'm sure it will get brought up and be confirmed/denied tomorrow.

When someone loses their coaching position, doesn't that have to be reported?

Callahan would never confirm it was true if asked.