Rise of the North

I don't know if it was so much a rise of the North as a Faltering of the South.

OU has looked really, really good this year but hadn't been tested by anyone and Texas seems to blow games and get their QB hurt against KSU when they play... plus both teams were clearly looking forward to the Red River Shootout a bit too much as well.

We will know in a couple weeks if the North has risen again or not for sure.

Descent of the South

No, my friend, it has to be more than that. We have to give credit where credit is due. CU and KSU played some really good, focused, intense, football --- they missed few tackles, dropped few passes, had a great deal of gang tackling, had intensity that was really impressive and well.... they just looked really well prepared and solid. Sure, it may be that Texas and Oklahoma may have been caught naping but --- hey, I dislike CU and KSU as much as the next guy --- but those two teams have improved a great deal.

Descent of the South

No, my friend, it has to be more than that. We have to give credit where credit is due. CU and KSU played some really good, focused, intense, football --- they missed few tackles, dropped few passes, had a great deal of gang tackling, had intensity that was really impressive and well.... they just looked really well prepared and solid. Sure, it may be that Texas and Oklahoma may have been caught naping but --- hey, I dislike CU and KSU as much as the next guy --- but those two teams have improved a great deal.

agreed, you can't just take away the win and the team effort, like it or not, like them or not, it was earned!

With the wins of both KSU and CU this weekend, are we seeing the rise of the north, just a fluke on the same day, or true parity in college football where any given Saturday.....

I agree with DJR313.

I've been telling a few OU friends of mine that the North/South will see a shift in power. This may be one of the early signs. It may not happen right away nor be as sudden as what we might think with the CU and KSU wins, but I do believe the North will be the dominate division for a few years then we'll start to see the shift again where the South once agains become the dominate division.

Descent of the South

agreed, you can't just take away the win and the team effort, like it or not, like them or not, it was earned!

Exactly. The north is improving, and will continue to.

It is impossible to only compare the two variable whose relative value youre trying to determine...you need to weigh those two variables against a third variable, such as non-conference opponents....

Texas has been extremely unimpressive against non-conference foes, indicating there has been some drop-off from where they were last year and OU's non-conference sched was a cakewalk...they'll lose more games this year with a freshman QB.....those two teams are not the two national championship contenders everyone thought they were going to be...

as for the North, Colorado lost 2 out of 4 non-conference, barely beat Colo St. at home, and the only other win came against Miami of Ohio...Kansas St. only beat San Jose St and Missouri St. in non-conference play, both at home...

I'm not saying the North hasn't improved...Colorado is certainly a better football team than they were last year...I think the jury is still out on K-State, after all they beat UT last year also...they haven't proven to me they've improved since last year

Comparatively, it has more to do with the South not living up to what everyone thought it was going to be...

Unfortunately the sour grapes alert is in affect down here in Texas. After UT got dismantled and OU lost, a lot of peeps I talk to quickly say "The Big 12 sucks this year". That as oppose to the usual "The North sucks".

I'm giving credit to CU and Kstate. But not too much only b/c the conference play has just started. We'll know more clearly four games into it.