Vince Young or Tommie Frazier?

That's a tough one....... I wish NU could have had Vince Young from '03 to '05 to compare the two a little better. But that's just me! <_<

Still, I'd go with Touchdown Tommie!!!! :thumbs

If Young was here as our QB in 03-05...do we win a NC?

That's interesting....... Difficult to assess (even in hindsight) how one player could have changed NU's fortunes, but there is no doubt that VY had the ability to be a difference-maker week-by-week. It sure would have been entertaining.......

For a non-Husker, Vince Young had one of my favorite performances (vs. USC) all-time.

i have to say vince...just because he basically won the national title by himself....nebraska had a defense when they won it only allowing 24 points basically 17 to florida...while texas allowed 38 to usc

I think the only fair way to halfway determine which was better is to take them off of their respective teams and see how they fare. Tommie basically was off the team for the 94' title as Berringer pretty much led us the entire way to the title game and halfway through it. Tommie would have never even had to have played a down in 95' and we still would have won the NC. You take Vince Young off their team, and they would have had a very successful season because he did have a good backup. However, they would more than likely have lost to Ohio State in the beginning of the season and would have lost to USC in the title game if they made it there. By this deductive reasoning, I have to go with Vince Young.

My heart says Tommie, my head says Vince. I didn't get to see as much of Tommie as I did Vince, I lived in Houston when he was just a complete freak in high school. All I can say is Vince was/is magic. Tommie was the first player that came to mind when watching VY. Intangibles, instincts, leadership were about equal. Tommie was a magician his own self. Vince had a better arm, that's the difference. I can't emphasize enough what Vince meant to UT. After his wunderlich scores became public, I started calling him a Quarterback Savant. He might not be the brightest bulb in the house, but he knew how to win.

As far as how he would have fared if he played for the Huskers, I think he would have attracted other blue chippers to come to NU, and he would have been just as successful. He would've opened a Texas pipeline to NU. Sadly, we'll never know.

I saw plenty of VY so I have my own thoughts. Yes he did win a championship for Texas over USC. But dont forget USC had a 4th and 1 and the ego of SCs coach went for it, and theh UT defense stopped them. Reggie Bush wasnt even on the field for that play. So it was a team effort, and VY had a spectacular (60 yard) drive. Prior to that game, VY was miserable in his two losses to OU. He beat them when OU was not at their best. And even throughout that championship season, they almost lost to KState. It wasnt determined he was one of the all-time greatest until after that game against USC. That's three years worth of starting at QB.

Frazier on the other hand intimidated other teams. He refused to lose. There was a lot more confidence coming from him that filtered onto his team, more than I saw with VY. I have no doubt in my mind that Frazier was the best college QB ever. I'll never forgot prior to the Florida game during the media days he said that FLa. was a good team, but we are going to do what we do and win the game. Without blinking. Man that dude was tough, a leader & a winner.

And for the other question about Mac Brown - the heat was always on that dude. Without Young, still no championship for him. Brown is a gracefull winner, but a miserable loser and points fingers. He gets one of the best recruiting classes every year. They should have been in three championship games by now. That one game was the only one in ten years. He is a good coach, but not a great coach.

* My edit = my bad, VY loss to OU & Washington State (Bowl game). He didnt start against OU as a RS Frosh but still played enough to throw 2 INTs including one in the first quarter.

And for the other question about Mac Brown - the heat was always on that dude. Without Young, still no championship for him. Brown is a gracefull winner, but a miserable loser and points fingers. He gets one of the best recruiting classes every year. They should have been in three championship games by now. That one game was the only one in ten years. He is a good coach, but not a great coach.

Blair Kerkhoff of the K.C. Star asked the question about Mac Brown's coaching ability, and gave his thoughts in the rest of the article (that wasn't included in my original post) about the upcoming Red River Rivalry game.

I, too, think Mac's a good coach who looks great when he has a difference-maker at QB. Saturday's ballgame will be interesting to see what happens......

Has to be Vince Young. During the 1994 season, 3 QBs (Remember Matt Turman a.k.a. the Turmanator?) started for NU; Frazier started 4 games, and they still won the title. No way UT wins without Young.

Exactly, this isn't a "who's best," it's a "most valuable." I think NU would have still laid the wood to anyone w/out Frazier especially during the 95 season. That was a fully loaded team with few flaws especially on offense. Take Tommie out of the mix, and there is still LP, Green, the wicked bad line, and the monster defense. W/out Young, yeah, Texas would have had a much, MUCH harder time.

Most valuable? Young, by far. Without him, Texas does not win that national championship. The NU national championships in '94 and '95 were TEAM efforts, and we still would have won (at least in 1995, for sure) with Berringer out on the field. Texas winning that NC in '05 was a Vince Young effort.

Which in my eyes means he's the more VALUABLE. Was Frazier a better quarterback? I think so. He accomplished way more than Young on a collegiate level, but his team wasn't nearly as dependent upon him as Texas was upon Young.