NU on same path OU was on after Switzer?

rkhufu7

OU suffered through Gibbs (Solich), Snelenberger/Blake (Callahan) until a real coach arrived in Stoops that brought the program back. Peterson will stay loyal to Calahan until Missouri, Kansas and Colorado become the Big 3 of the North and NU is forced to battle ISU and KSU for 4th place. Calahan makes simple things complicated! NU could run the same Osbourne offense, just with some new wrinkles, like the zone read. Isn't that what Illinois, Florida and WV are killing folks with? Didn't Texas win the MNC with it? These teams run iso, counters, option from the gun, but the 3 wides and shotgun always puts the threat of the pass on the defense. Tebow is Scott Frost with a better arm. We need to ditch this dude before its to late!

OU suffered through Gibbs (Solich), Snelenberger/Blake (Callahan) until a real coach arrived in Stoops that brought the program back. Peterson will stay loyal to Calahan until Missouri, Kansas and Colorado become the BNig 3 of the North and NU is forced to battle ISU and KSU for 4th place. Calahan makes simple things complicated! NU could run the same Osbourne offense, just with some new wrinkles, like the zone read. Isn't that what Illinois, Florida and WV are killing folks with? Didn't Texas win the MNC with it? These teams run iso, counters, option from the gun, but the 3 wides and shotgun always puts the threat of the pass on the defense. Tebow is Scott Frost with a better arm. We need to ditch this dude before its to late!

:yeah

Stop reading my mind :lol:

Only thing I would change is that K state is a better team.

Yes, we're on the exact same path, and this is precisely what I was worried about when our idiot AD fired a coach who went 9-3.

Yes, yes, but now what are we going to DO about it?

Well, we could round up some torches and pitchforks ...

For the most part, it's beyond our control. There are only a few things we as fans can do and they've been discussed in some other threads. The sellout streak is the first thing that comes to my mind. It belongs to the fans, but I'm not sure as a fanbase we're willing to sacrifice it.

Sooner fan here, and I must say as an outside observer that the situation is eerily similar. There are some differences, of course, but lots more similarities.

Gary Gibbs, who replaced Switzer, was a quiet, solid type of guy. I think his last year we went 8-3 or 8-4, and there were outcries that Oklahoma had sunk into some sort of--day I say it?--"mediocrity." So they canned Gibbs and brought in Schnellenburger. "They will write books and make movies about my time here" I remember him saying just before he took over, and that year we went 5-5-1. Exit Schnellenberger, enter Blake. That's when the real fun began. Three back-to-back losing seasons ensued, with Blake's defenders screeching for "more time, more time!" and "give him a chance two-three-ten-twenty chances!" the whole way.

Now, we didn't really have internet web forums back then, although they were coming along. But we did have dial-up message boards and AOL chat. Here's what a typical "debate" over keeping Blake at least till the year 2025 ("giving him a chance") looked like:

Me - "With two minutes left, down one score, 3rd and 17, why did they go right up the gut when the defense had the box loaded with 11?"

Blake Defender - "the coach saw something you didn't"

Me - "he 'saw' another loss, in an already losing season."

Blake Defender - "it added to our rushing stats."

Me - "Jeeze Louise, we LOST THE GAME! Don't you realize, 'rushing stats' mean squat unless you WIN THE GAME."

Blake Defender - "you're just a racist. you're not a real Sooner fan. you were rooting for us to lose. the fairy godmother is going to click her heels three times and say 'there's no coach like Blake, there's no coach like Blake, there's no coach like Blake' and four Heisman trophy candidates are going to parachute into our backfield, and then the mighty magic pixie dust is going to give us all new linebackers, and then blah, blah, blah, blah..."

Sound familiar?

Now, to be fair, Blake was a good recruiter and I think a very decent man, but just not a very effective head coach. It was all very frustrating for Sooner fans, at least those of us without blinders on, and what saved us was not Stoops per se, but rather the arrival of an AD smart enough to hire Stoops. Joe Castiglione brought in Stoops, and our revival began. There have been bumps in the road, but we've experienced no more embarrassing seasons, have picked up a NC and several Big 12 titles, and are overall once again contenders on the national scene.

Well, that's just my recollection of what kind of shape my team was in during the nineties. It wasn't pretty. I'm not presumptuous enough to think I should be telling Nebraska fans that their team should do this or that, but the similarities between our situation then and yours now is striking. I will say that I think, with your great tradition, you will one day be back on top. I say that in all sincerity. And, believe me, I understand just how a lot of you are feeling right now; we Sooner fans were in the same boat just a scant ten years ago. Thank you for letting me chime in here and have my say.

Sooner fan here, and I must say as an outside observer that the situation is eerily similar. There are some differences, of course, but lots more similarities.

Gary Gibbs, who replaced Switzer, was a quiet, solid type of guy. I think his last year we went 8-3 or 8-4, and there were outcries that Oklahoma had sunk into some sort of--day I say it?--"mediocrity." So they canned Gibbs and brought in . "They will write books and make movies about my time here" I remember him saying just before he took over, and that year we went 5-5-1. Exit Schnellenberger, enter Blake. That's when the real fun began. Three back-to-back losing seasons ensued, with Blake's defenders screeching for "more time, more time!" and "give him a chance two-three-ten-twenty chances!" the whole way.

Now, we didn't really have internet web forums back then, although they were coming along. But we did have dial-up message boards and AOL chat. Here's what a typical "debate" over keeping Blake at least till the year 2025 ("giving him a chance") looked like:

Me - "With two minutes left, down one score, 3rd and 17, why did they go right up the gut when the defense had the box loaded with 11?"

Blake Defender - "the coach saw something you didn't"

Me - "he 'saw' another loss, in an already losing season."

Blake Defender - "it added to our rushing stats."

Me - "Jeeze Louise, we LOST THE GAME! Don't you realize, 'rushing stats' mean squat unless you WIN THE GAME."

Blake Defender - "you're just a racist. you're not a real Sooner fan. you were rooting for us to lose. the fairy godmother is going to click her heels three times and say 'there's no coach like Blake, there's no coach like Blake, there's no coach like Blake' and four Heisman trophy candidates are going to parachute into our backfield, and then the mighty magic pixie dust is going to give us all new linebackers, and then blah, blah, blah, blah..."

Sound familiar?

Now, to be fair, Blake was a good recruiter and I think a very decent man, but just not a very effective head coach. It was all very frustrating for Sooner fans, at least those of us without blinders on, and what saved us was not Stoops per se, but rather the arrival of an AD smart enough to hire Stoops. Joe Castiglione brought in Stoops, and our revival began. There have been bumps in the road, but we've experienced no more embarrassing seasons, have picked up a NC and several Big 12 titles, and are overall once again contenders on the national scene.

Well, that's just my recollection of what kind of shape my team was in during the nineties. It wasn't pretty. I'm not presumptuous enough to think I should be telling Nebraska fans that their team should do this or that, but the similarities between our situation then and yours now is striking. I will say that I think, with your great tradition, you will one day be back on top. I say that in all sincerity. And, believe me, I understand just how a lot of you are feeling right now; we Sooner fans were in the same boat just a scant ten years ago. Thank you for letting me chime in here and have my say.

Always did think Cornhusker fans and sooner fans were to much alike. Though we had a AD to stupid to admit after the 5-6 season he made a mistake and kept our Schnellenberger. It might have to be a losing season and a 0-30 like loss in the last game of the year to get rid of him.