Why is it when someone cares enough to be critical

Usually, I do not like to mix football and politics. However, this time I will make an exception. Pederson is as big of flip flopper as Kerry. In the beginning, he was hot after Nutt. If Nutt would have become the head man, the offense wouldn't have changed a lot. Yes, we would have passed more but not totally changed the whole scheme over to the WCO. This was Pud's original plan. Yeah, I know. He never in his wildest dreams ever thought he'd have as much trouble finding a head coach like he did. However, it was all his fault because of the way he fired Solich.

In the end, he settled with Callahan. He knew that the entire offense would be totally redone. I don't believe he even knew Cosgrove would ruin our defense. To get on Callahan's case at this time is basing too much on assumptions. You can't take a run oriented offense and change them to a pass oriented offense in one season without some/a lot of complications. You guys are frustrated and mad at the wrong man in my opinion. The blame for this season is entirely on Pearlman and Pud this year. After 3 years, the blame will shift onto Callahan if we are not successful. If we're going to line people up and start the firing, we need to start with Pearlman and Pud. Callahan deserves at least 3 seasons to show us what he's made of.

If we'd fire Callahan after this season, there isn't a coach in his right mind that would even consider coming here. By the way, if Callahan doesn't pan out you can cross Urban Myer off your list. He'll be at a much better school next year, more than likely Florida!

All of this reminds me of Texas A&M. They fired a coach who'd been part of the program for a lot of years, but just couldn't win the big ones consistently. Franchione was brought in and had a horrible record his first year. This year, they've improved a lot and are winning some big games. I know you can't compare Callahan to Franchione because Fran has been known to turn programs around. However, this thing could still work out. I am a little uneasy about one of our top linebacker recruits leaving, but hopefully the new recruiting class will fill some voids.

Well, put Junior. The similarities to A&M are there as well. Callahan just needs some time. I agree with you on your Urban Meyer comment too. He sounds really upset at the BCS and won't take much more of being on the outside looking in because of BS politics.

Why would the Huskers want John L. Smith, you talk of Callahan leading a team to 4-12, what has Michigan State done, oh I dunno, EVER!? Talk about wading around in mediocrity. That statement is so stupid it hurts my head. :wacko:

Fine no smith why not give gill a chance he has worked the offence and been a loyal coach for years and he gets looked over? come on the only thing that callahan has ever been able to do when leading a team is destroy everything... Bottom line he isnt a coach hes a wonderfull getting recrts to come to nebraska but he cant coach.

It would NOT have mattered what coach I put because you mary Poppins fans would have torn thru them just to try and prove your theory to be right. Point is Michigan State has never been world beaters  but they sure are a helluva site better off than they were before Smith. Just like Frank Beamer of Va Tech for example..No VaTech hasnt always tore it up offensively or defensively for that matter and no they havent won a title but how bad was VaTech before Beamer ??? Answer is: they were awful ! If Beamer had been at a traditional power he would have won a national title just as John L Smith needs that same opportunity. If you can win at those places and just go toa bowl is saying something. Another case in point is Nick Saban..He was the coach at Michigan State before they hired that black coach that couldnt win ..Saban was given a more traditional program like LSU and wahm he wins a title.

Whether you guys like it or not Callahan will not be around in 3 yrs if he last 2 and heres my short wish list

John L Smith, Steve Spurrier(even Steve knows when he has a better run team),Rich Rodriguez of WVa,Dan Hawkins of Boise St,and Urban Meyer at Utah

:rollin

What a joke. How is just making a bowl game a moral victory any different than what Callahan is trying to do this season? Saban was 10-2 in his last season at MSU in 1999 and beat Spurrier in the Citrus Bowl and the Spartans let him go. And that "black coach who couldn't win" is Bobby Williams. Beamer really has done some good things in Va Tech, but a new head coach isn't the answer, not right now. And what's this "Mary Poppins fans" sh#t? I'd rather be a Poppins fan than a Solich bl***r. Is that all you got buddy?

Congradulations, you have made no real point other than to treat people poorly, if your views differ from someone else that is why it is fun to debate, and as far as what Callahan is try'ing to do??? I dont think he knows what he is try'ing to do anymore, the more NEbraska passes the worse they get, Nebraska has a awsome backfield in Green, ross, and Jackson how are they used?

As far as liking Solich, well I know of one person that thought that he was a good coach, apparently you think you know more than Osborne because that is who appointed solich as head coach, and 10-3 thats not too bad, with the same team Callahan is praying for a 50-50 season. :smokin

I don't know what 'Mary Poppins' fan means, but I do agree with almost everything that Solich Needed is saying.  A lot of people need to accept the fact that some of us feel our program has been hijacked and is heading in totally the wrong direction.  We're more than willing to debate what's going on on the field.  For example, Cosgrove is an idiot.  He doesn't blitz enough and has the defense sitting back and reacting.  Another example...we run over people when we run the ball, but Callahan still insists on throwing 40+ times a game.

But what people like Benard, Solich Needed, and myself are griping about really has less to do with game philosophy (run or pass) and more to do with the attitude of the program.  I said it before and I'll say it again.  The heart of Nebraska football has been ripped out by Pedersen and it will take years to recover.  You can see it in the way the players a playing.

I think you and your clones need to realize that Solich isn't coming back. Check the stats we have ran the ball more then we have passed. If having one of the TOP recruiting classes in the country is headed in the wrong direction then most of the Top 25 already beat us to that. Solich fired a crap load of people to, so I ask again did any of the tradition die then?

Callahan could recruit the best in the world and it still wouldnt make a difference... If you cant coach you cant coach, callahan is great at recruiting not coaching

Congradulations, you have made no real point other than to treat people poorly, if your views differ from someone else that is why it is fun to debate

Treat someone poorly, for calling me "Mary Poppins". Perhaps you couldn't tell, but I am not Mother Teresa and if someone is going to insult me without reason, I will insult right back for no reason as well. That goes for you too. I like to debate, but I can't with you, because you never make any valid points. Some people on this board talk football, all you talk about is how much you hate Callahan, the west coast offense and Steve Pederson. If anyone has read three of your posts, they pretty much know that you don't have any more gas in that tank that you call a brain.

Callahan could recruit the best in the world and it still wouldnt make a difference... If you cant coach you cant coach, callahan is great at recruiting not coaching

You may be right - however, until Callahan has a chance to coach his recruits, brought in to run his system, there's no way to tell.

Presently, he's trying to implement a system. He has to commit to that system if he's going to be trusted or believed by potential recruits that are made for that system.

With NU's history of predominately running, no legitimate skill position recruits would commit to NU unless they actually see the coach commit to a system that highlights their talents.

In other words, before judging his coaching, why not give him a chance to get in the recruits that he feels can run his system, let them grow into it, and see what happens? Solich was given that opportunity.

If, after that opportunity, things are not improved, then by all means I agree - as does just about everyone else, I would imagine - that Callahan should go. But one of the worst things you can do to a program is to keep changing coaches. Every time you do, you invite negative recruiting ("Why go to NU? Their coach will be gone next year and you may be in a system that doesn't showcase your talents") and players having to learn a new system, which simply slows their development.

Let's face it - like it or not Callahan is here for years to come. Let's give him a chance, see if he can make it go, and then judge his abilities.

You guys were all happy with 10-3 and ranked 19th.  Last time I checked Texas is in the Top 10 again this year.  They handed it us last year.  So if having the best recruiting classes get us back in the Top 10 I'm all for it.  Top 5 recruiting classes have worked out for Oklahoma and USC.  Aren't Miami and FSU usually in there also.  Do you have any quotes from TO after Solich fired all his Ole' Boys?  For the last time the Solich firing was a YEAR late.

Fine, if you feel that way. I disagree. But BE CONSISTENT! Either its all about wins or its not. If you're going to fire Solich because he had one bad season, then demand wins from Callahan now. You can't have it both ways.

It's simply not a fair comparison. By doing that you are simply ignoring what Callahan wants to accomplish here and the magnitude of it. More than a year. You may not like what he wants to do, but I think you have to give the man more than a year or two to get it going.

Sure, if we had hired an option coach not much would have changed. But we didn't. As you said, you can't blame the guy for taking the job.

I expect a coach to put us in a position to be contending for championships, Big 12 or otherwise. Solich wasn't doing that after 6 years. If Callahan can't do it after a shorter amount of time, say 3-4 years, then he would need to start worrying about his job. At that point, it would be fair IMO.

Well honestly it is a fair to give Callahan only one chance, as that is what Solich was given...Though I dont think that cosgrove should b fired b4 the end of the year so he doesnt hurt the D any further

You guys were all happy with 10-3 and ranked 19th.  Last time I checked Texas is in the Top 10 again this year.  They handed it us last year.  So if having the best recruiting classes get us back in the Top 10 I'm all for it.  Top 5 recruiting classes have worked out for Oklahoma and USC.  Aren't Miami and FSU usually in there also.  Do you have any quotes from TO after Solich fired all his Ole' Boys?  For the last time the Solich firing was a YEAR late.

Fine, if you feel that way. I disagree. But BE CONSISTENT! Either its all about wins or its not. If you're going to fire Solich because he had one bad season, then demand wins from Callahan now. You can't have it both ways.

It's simply not a fair comparison. By doing that you are simply ignoring what Callahan wants to accomplish here and the magnitude of it. More than a year. You may not like what he wants to do, but I think you have to give the man more than a year or two to get it going.

Sure, if we had hired an option coach not much would have changed. But we didn't. As you said, you can't blame the guy for taking the job.

I expect a coach to put us in a position to be contending for championships, Big 12 or otherwise. Solich wasn't doing that after 6 years. If Callahan can't do it after a shorter amount of time, say 3-4 years, then he would need to start worrying about his job. At that point, it would be fair IMO.

Well honestly it is a fair to give Callahan only one chance, as that is what Solich was given...Though I dont think that cosgrove should b fired b4 the end of the year so he doesnt hurt the D any further

Explain how Solich was given 1 chance. He could, and should have replaced the staff he did years before. But, saying that is Monday morning quarterbacking and has no bearing. ;)

one chance? how so? if he was fired after 7-7 you cud say once chance but he wasnt. he wasnt showing much improvment the next yr, and I dont jus mean with the record. recruiting, playcalling etc.