Why is it when someone cares enough to be critical

When fans care enough to be critical you always get these Mary Poppins type fans who say and accuse us of being bandwagon jumpers. If we were bandwagon jumpers,daveyboy then we wouldnt care to show up but rather go to a Sooner board and pretend to be a Sooner fan.

We care enough to stand up and say ..."hey we are not going to put up with someone running or should I say throwing our beloved Corhuskers into a below average state of football"

My point is this ...How could we have fired a coach that improved from 7-7 to 10-3 and hire a damn coach that took a Super Bowl team and went 4-12 the following year with the same damn players !!!

Those of you that supported the Solich ouster are the ones that should be called bandwagon jumpers not those of us that have never been satisfied with this horrendous hire by the A.D from hell ...Our A.D should have been the one let go and thats the bottom line.

If we keep letting crappy A.D's do things like this then we are going to go thru the same thing that the Alabama's of the collge football world have went thru..two or three losing seasons...shudder that thought !!!

I would have loved to have passed more but we need to add the passing game a little at a time not all at once like Moron Callahan.

I think a good guy at implementing things portions at a time would be John L Smith at Michigan State and oh yes he would come if we offered !!!

Go Big Red !

Here we go again.

Being critical is fine. Hell, if you read a lot of my posts I am critical to a degree. However, I am not so irrational as to let the fact that I don't really like the AD to cloud my judgement of what happens on the field. Believe me, Pederson irks me. Also, I think if you are going to be critical, you have to back it up with some rational thought. Not just "OMG I HATE CALLAHAN AND EVERYONE!!!11 THEY SUCK SO BAD!!1". A lot of people here just post the same BS over and over again with no real reason. For these guys, this seems to be more of a therapy session than a discussion.

I also understand that as a fan I am looking from the outside in. For me its about perseverance right now. I am willing to see this Callahan thing out. I will say it once again, I will gladly admit to being wrong.

As far as implementing the WCO slowly, no way. I will quote one of my other posts to save time.

This has been discussed at length, but in Callahans position you can't just revert to the old offense when you have been teaching your offense all year. How can you not stay the course? It's not a matter of being arrogant, it's a matter of having a offensive scheme you have developed your entire life and being hired to bring it here. It would be an insult to any coach for an AD to say "Yea, come coach here but you HAVE to run the offense, or defense, this way." Most, if not every coach would tell you to go to hell. Why? Because that's a coaches job. To run the team as he was hired to. Right now, the offense is as simple as it gets. Period. And we still can't execute. Like I said in another thread, at this point it seems its not even about the WCO. It's about the ability to throw and catch the damn ball!

This is also simply a matter of laying some kind of foudation for the future, IMO. Say you don't implement the WCO right away. Assuming that Callahan would have still taken the job in that situation, when do you start? When every player is a Callahan & Co. recruit? That's a good 5 years away! Jumping in a cold pool is always better than pu&&y-footing your way in IMO.

Solich Needed? Yea, like I need a hole in my head. If someone brings up last year again I think I am going to vomit.

Jeff Smoker didn't throw the ball all the time last year did he?

Smoker's Statistics @ MSU

Passing G/GS Att. Comp. Int. Pct. Yds. TD LG

2000 9/6 197 103 7 .523 1365 6 68

2001 11/11 262 166 8 .634 2579 21 87

2002 7/7 203 114 10 .562 1593 13 59

Career 27/24 662 383 25 .579 5537 40 87

When fans care enough to be critical you always get these Mary Poppins type fans who say and accuse us of being bandwagon jumpers. If we were bandwagon jumpers,daveyboy then we wouldnt care to show up but rather go to a Sooner board and pretend to be a Sooner fan.

We care enough to stand up and say ..."hey we are not going to put up with someone running or should I say throwing our beloved Corhuskers into a below average state of football"

My point is this ...How could we have fired a coach that improved from 7-7 to 10-3 and hire a damn coach that took a Super Bowl team and went 4-12 the following year with the same damn players !!!

Those of you that supported the Solich ouster are the ones that should be called bandwagon jumpers not those of us that have never been satisfied with this horrendous hire by the A.D from hell ...Our A.D should have been the one let go and thats the bottom line.

If we keep letting crappy A.D's do things like this then we are going to go thru the same thing that the Alabama's of the collge football world have went thru..two or three losing seasons...shudder that thought !!!

I would have loved to have passed more but we need to add the passing game a little at a time not all at once like Moron Callahan.

I think a good guy at implementing things portions at a time would be John L Smith at Michigan State and oh yes he would come if we offered !!!

Go Big Red !

I have no problem with you venting or being critical about our skers. And I think you make a good point, if "you guys" were actually "haters" as some would say, why would you spend so much time talking about it?? I think some people just have a different way of exprssing their "love".. i.e. Bobby Knight vs. Roy Willimans styles of coaching. I dont doubt the folks who rant love the team as much as the others, you guys just have completely opposite styles which makes this place interesting IMO. Keep it up I enjoy the debate!! :box

It would NOT have mattered what coach I put because you mary Poppins fans would have torn thru them just to try and prove your theory to be right. Point is Michigan State has never been world beaters but they sure are a helluva site better off than they were before Smith. Just like Frank Beamer of Va Tech for example..No VaTech hasnt always tore it up offensively or defensively for that matter and no they havent won a title but how bad was VaTech before Beamer ??? Answer is: they were awful ! If Beamer had been at a traditional power he would have won a national title just as John L Smith needs that same opportunity. If you can win at those places and just go toa bowl is saying something. Another case in point is Nick Saban..He was the coach at Michigan State before they hired that black coach that couldnt win ..Saban was given a more traditional program like LSU and wahm he wins a title.

Whether you guys like it or not Callahan will not be around in 3 yrs if he last 2 and heres my short wish list

John L Smith, Steve Spurrier(even Steve knows when he has a better run team),Rich Rodriguez of WVa,Dan Hawkins of Boise St,and Urban Meyer at Utah

It would NOT have mattered what coach I put because you mary Poppins fans would have torn thru them just to try and prove your theory to be right. Point is Michigan State has never been world beaters  but they sure are a helluva site better off than they were before Smith. Just like Frank Beamer of Va Tech for example..No VaTech hasnt always tore it up offensively or defensively for that matter and no they havent won a title but how bad was VaTech before Beamer ??? Answer is: they were awful ! If Beamer had been at a traditional power he would have won a national title just as John L Smith needs that same opportunity. If you can win at those places and just go toa bowl is saying something. Another case in point is Nick Saban..He was the coach at Michigan State before they hired that black coach that couldnt win ..Saban was given a more traditional program like LSU and wahm he wins a title.

Whether you guys like it or not Callahan will not be around in 3 yrs if he last 2 and heres my short wish list

John L Smith, Steve Spurrier(even Steve knows when he has a better run team),Rich Rodriguez of WVa,Dan Hawkins of Boise St,and Urban Meyer at Utah

:rollin

What a joke. How is just making a bowl game a moral victory any different than what Callahan is trying to do this season? Saban was 10-2 in his last season at MSU in 1999 and beat Spurrier in the Citrus Bowl and the Spartans let him go. And that "black coach who couldn't win" is Bobby Williams. Beamer really has done some good things in Va Tech, but a new head coach isn't the answer, not right now. And what's this "Mary Poppins fans" sh#t? I'd rather be a Poppins fan than a Solich bl***r. Is that all you got buddy?

It would NOT have mattered what coach I put because you mary Poppins fans would have torn thru them just to try and prove your theory to be right.

Point taken Blackshirt. Since I am a cleverly called a Mary Poppins fan, I wanna sing a little selection for everyone . "Six years of Solich made the program go down..." :clap

I don't know what 'Mary Poppins' fan means, but I do agree with almost everything that Solich Needed is saying. A lot of people need to accept the fact that some of us feel our program has been hijacked and is heading in totally the wrong direction. We're more than willing to debate what's going on on the field. For example, Cosgrove is an idiot. He doesn't blitz enough and has the defense sitting back and reacting. Another example...we run over people when we run the ball, but Callahan still insists on throwing 40+ times a game.

But what people like Benard, Solich Needed, and myself are griping about really has less to do with game philosophy (run or pass) and more to do with the attitude of the program. I said it before and I'll say it again. The heart of Nebraska football has been ripped out by Pedersen and it will take years to recover. You can see it in the way the players a playing.

I don't know what 'Mary Poppins' fan means, but I do agree with almost everything that Solich Needed is saying. A lot of people need to accept the fact that some of us feel our program has been hijacked and is heading in totally the wrong direction. We're more than willing to debate what's going on on the field. For example, Cosgrove is an idiot. He doesn't blitz enough and has the defense sitting back and reacting. Another example...we run over people when we run the ball, but Callahan still insists on throwing 40+ times a game.

But what people like Benard, Solich Needed, and myself are griping about really has less to do with game philosophy (run or pass) and more to do with the attitude of the program. I said it before and I'll say it again. The heart of Nebraska football has been ripped out by Pedersen and it will take years to recover. You can see it in the way the players a playing.

I think you and your clones need to realize that Solich isn't coming back. Check the stats we have ran the ball more then we have passed. If having one of the TOP recruiting classes in the country is headed in the wrong direction then most of the Top 25 already beat us to that. Solich fired a crap load of people to, so I ask again did any of the tradition die then?

I'd be interested to know where our recruiting classes of 90-93, which ended up winning three titles ranked nationally.  I bet they weren't top 10.  If everyone wants to be Texas and have a bunch of really talented players that can't ever put it together, then I guess that's what we're going to do.

This what irks me the most. We are automatically going to become a Texas, which is absolute horse sh#t and shows quite the defeatist attitude.

I guess recruiting great players is a bad thing? And we at Nebraska should just know our place and make do without the best talent in the nation?

No one ever contested the fact that the previous coaching staffs have done a great job turning players that the nation saw as not that great into great players. I am talking about TO, not Solich. No way in hell Solich. You would think that after many years under TO Solich might have picked a little of that up. But he didn't and that's one of the main reasons he isn't at NE anymore IMO.

Tell me this. What happens if we end up having some great years under Callahan? What will you say then?

Hey, I'm all for the Huskers winning, and I hope everything works out. Mostly for the kids' sake. I feel sorry for the players more than anyone. I don't think that Callahan is or will work out, but if he does I'll be the first to say I was wrong...about the fact that he could be a good coach.

But I'll never agree that things were handled correctly administratively. Since you seem to respect Tom Osbourne, how's this for a direct quote from him:

"I just couldn't believe a guy who had won that many games would be fired. We lost something in the process. The program was built on a sense of loyalty and continuity. That sense of loyalty and caring permeated everything we did. I've listened to everybody. I've heard all sides of the story. And I just don't see anything that maybe we couldn't have sat down in one room, maybe 45 minutes to an hour, hashed it out and had it back on track."

I couldn't have said it better. That was said back in February, and T.O. is too classy to come out and criticize now to undercut a new coach, but that doesn't mean that I can't keep pointing out where we went terribly wrong. I do this in the hopes that this Pedersen experiment will just be a 2-3 year nightmare in the middle of the great Nebraska tradition instead of the complete extinguishing of that tradition.