Why is it when someone cares enough to be critical

Hey, I'm all for the Huskers winning, and I hope everything works out. Mostly for the kids' sake. I feel sorry for the players more than anyone. I don't think that Callahan is or will work out, but if he does I'll be the first to say I was wrong...about the fact that he could be a good coach.

I do this in the hopes that this Pedersen experiment will just be a 2-3 year nightmare in the middle of the great Nebraska tradition instead of the complete extinguishing of that tradition.

So you hope everything works out but you also hope this "experiment" only lasts 2-3 years?

As far as how the situation was handled, I have always said it could have been a lot better. But what's done is done. I said everything I have to say about that back in January.

I'd be interested to know where our recruiting classes of 90-93, which ended up winning three titles ranked nationally. I bet they weren't top 10. If everyone wants to be Texas and have a bunch of really talented players that can't ever put it together, then I guess that's what we're going to do.

You guys were all happy with 10-3 and ranked 19th. Last time I checked Texas is in the Top 10 again this year. They handed it us last year. So if having the best recruiting classes get us back in the Top 10 I'm all for it. Top 5 recruiting classes have worked out for Oklahoma and USC. Aren't Miami and FSU usually in there also. Do you have any quotes from TO after Solich fired all his Ole' Boys? For the last time the Solich firing was a YEAR late.

Hey, I'm all for the Huskers winning, and I hope everything works out.  Mostly for the kids' sake.  I feel sorry for the players more than anyone.  I don't think that Callahan is or will work out, but if he does I'll be the first to say I was wrong...about the fact that he could be a good coach.

I do this in the hopes that this Pedersen experiment will just be a 2-3 year nightmare in the middle of the great Nebraska tradition instead of the complete extinguishing of that tradition.

So you hope everything works out but you also hope this "experiment" only lasts 2-3 years?

As far as how the situation was handled, I have always said it could have been a lot better. But what's done is done. I said everything I have to say about that back in January.

My point was I hope the best for the kids, but if things continue on this track like I think they will, I hope the slate is wiped clean after only a couple of seasons instead of becoming Notre Dame.

You guys were all happy with 10-3 and ranked 19th. Last time I checked Texas is in the Top 10 again this year. They handed it us last year. So if having the best recruiting classes get us back in the Top 10 I'm all for it. Top 5 recruiting classes have worked out for Oklahoma and USC. Aren't Miami and FSU usually in there also. Do you have any quotes from TO after Solich fired all his Ole' Boys? For the last time the Solich firing was a YEAR late.

Fine, if you feel that way. I disagree. But BE CONSISTENT! Either its all about wins or its not. If you're going to fire Solich because he had one bad season, then demand wins from Callahan now. You can't have it both ways.

You guys were all happy with 10-3 and ranked 19th.  Last time I checked Texas is in the Top 10 again this year.  They handed it us last year.  So if having the best recruiting classes get us back in the Top 10 I'm all for it.  Top 5 recruiting classes have worked out for Oklahoma and USC.  Aren't Miami and FSU usually in there also.  Do you have any quotes from TO after Solich fired all his Ole' Boys?  For the last time the Solich firing was a YEAR late.

Fine, if you feel that way. I disagree. But BE CONSISTENT! Either its all about wins or its not. If you're going to fire Solich because he had one bad season, then demand wins from Callahan now. You can't have it both ways.

It's simply not a fair comparison. By doing that you are simply ignoring what Callahan wants to accomplish here and the magnitude of it. More than a year. You may not like what he wants to do, but I think you have to give the man more than a year or two to get it going.

Sure, if we had hired an option coach not much would have changed. But we didn't. As you said, you can't blame the guy for taking the job.

I expect a coach to put us in a position to be contending for championships, Big 12 or otherwise. Solich wasn't doing that after 6 years. If Callahan can't do it after a shorter amount of time, say 3-4 years, then he would need to start worrying about his job. At that point, it would be fair IMO.

A lot of people need to accept the fact that some of us feel our program has been hijacked and is heading in totally the wrong direction. We're more than willing to debate what's going on on the field. For example, Cosgrove is an idiot. He doesn't blitz enough and has the defense sitting back and reacting. Another example...we run over people when we run the ball, but Callahan still insists on throwing 40+ times a game.

But what people like Benard, Solich Needed, and myself are griping about really has less to do with game philosophy (run or pass) and more to do with the attitude of the program. I said it before and I'll say it again. The heart of Nebraska football has been ripped out by Pedersen and it will take years to recover. You can see it in the way the players a playing.

I seem to remember a cold night back in the fall of 1997 that I felt my heart ripped out of me when Tom Osborne, the man, the legend, chose Frank Solich to be his replacement. I had a bad feeling about it from the very first day. I gave Solich a chance because surely Tom Osborne couldn't make such a catastrophical mistake of hiring someone who would drag the program's pride and tradition down to such a low point that he had to make desperation firings of assistants who were there longer than himself instead of taking the blame for his own ineptness. I agree with you, I feel sorry for this group of kids. They have gone through a lot, being the worst Husker team in 40 years, a facelift last season and an extreme makeover this season. I also disagree with the way Pederson let Solich go. Solich was not a good head coach, but he was a loyal assistant and dedicated employee to that University for a LONG time and he deserved better. However, I do not disagree with Pederson's methodology for firing him. The ship needed to be righted, maybe even redesigned. I am willing to continue being a Husker backer while this most recent change is being made. I have faith that Pederson doesn't want to be lynched by Husker fans for ruining the best thing in Nebraska. He wants to be known as the man that made Nebraska the dominant force again that it was in the mid-90's. So if in 5 years, Callahan still has this Nebraska program at 6-5/7-4, I will be right there with you guys and say that this guy has to go. But Callahan needs some time, just as Pete Carroll did at USC. Look at the rewards they are reaping now.

Look dude, Solich sucked, the only reason he ever got chosen in the first place was because of Osborne. Otherwise someone else would be here now. Even with Osbornes recruits, in 1998, he still almost managed to screw everything up. He drove the program into the ground, he was very unimaginative with his play calling and never attempted anything new. He couldn't recruit himself out of a paper bag.

Again I say and this can NOT be argued with we fired a coach who went from 7-7 to 10-3 for a coach that took a 12-4 Super Bowl team to 4-12. Explain the logic and the reasoing in that thinking and I will gladly go along with the Mary Poppins crowd. (Mary Poppins fans defined as fans that always want you to never say anything negative even if somthing needs to said..just hush and eat sh*t with a smile)

Even though my name says it..its not really all about Solich it was just a pun on my part as in Solace needed since witnessing our worst loss ever to a mid carder program in Texas Tech. my ultimate beef with Pederson is the fact that he told Solich to make progress from 7-7 and he did and he fired him for going 10-3 and that would not have pissed me off but Pederson had no plan or coach in mind when he did it and please don't give me that Houston Nutt crap.

What has Nutt done at Arkansas..he has NOT won any championships of any variety and has a worse overall record than Solich and we go after and make an ass out of ourselves nationally by offering millions only to have it thrown in our faces by that moron Nutt.

My whole beef with this whole thing is that Pederson has no direction and didnt have a plan in place when he under took the firing and hiring of coaches..by the way Solich was pressured by the adminstration to let go of some of his assistants to make progress.. he did let them go and he did make progress and he was still fired .... whats up with that ??

Again I say and this can NOT be argued with we fired a coach who went from 7-7 to 10-3 for a coach that took a 12-4 Super Bowl team to 4-12. Explain the logic and the reasoing in that thinking and I will gladly go along with the Mary Poppins crowd. (Mary Poppins fans defined as fans that always want you to never say anything negative even if somthing needs to said..just hush and eat sh*t with a smile)

Even though my name says it..its not really all about Solich it was just a pun on my part as in Solace needed since witnessing our worst loss ever to a mid carder program in Texas Tech. my ultimate beef with Pederson is the fact that he told Solich to make progress from 7-7 and he did and he fired him for going 10-3 and that would not have pissed me off but Pederson had no plan or coach in mind when he did it and please don't give me that Houston Nutt crap.

What has Nutt done at Arkansas..he has NOT won any championships of any variety and has a worse overall record than Solich and we go after and make an ass out of ourselves nationally by offering millions only to have it thrown in our faces by that moron Nutt.

My whole beef with this whole thing is that Pederson has no direction and didnt have a plan in place when he under took the firing and hiring of coaches..by the way Solich was pressured by the adminstration to let go of some of his assistants to make progress.. he did let them go and he did make progress and he was still fired .... whats up with that ??

Record wise, Solich did improve, but he did not remain competitive in the three blow outs. In the three biggest games last year we proved that we were not a top notch team in the big 12. Do not give me the fact that we were ahead of missou entering the fourth, because football is a four quarter game. Games are won in the fourth quarter and we got our ass handed to us. Like I have said before but I will say it again, I will give Bill four years and at the end of four years, he has shown no signs of improvement then I will admit that I was wrong, but as of right now I am going to give Bill what he needs, which is time and my support.

Usually, I do not like to mix football and politics. However, this time I will make an exception. Pederson is as big of flip flopper as Kerry. In the beginning, he was hot after Nutt. If Nutt would have become the head man, the offense wouldn't have changed a lot. Yes, we would have passed more but not totally changed the whole scheme over to the WCO. This was Pud's original plan. Yeah, I know. He never in his wildest dreams ever thought he'd have as much trouble finding a head coach like he did. However, it was all his fault because of the way he fired Solich.

In the end, he settled with Callahan. He knew that the entire offense would be totally redone. I don't believe he even knew Cosgrove would ruin our defense. To get on Callahan's case at this time is basing too much on assumptions. You can't take a run oriented offense and change them to a pass oriented offense in one season without some/a lot of complications. You guys are frustrated and mad at the wrong man in my opinion. The blame for this season is entirely on Pearlman and Pud this year. After 3 years, the blame will shift onto Callahan if we are not successful. If we're going to line people up and start the firing, we need to start with Pearlman and Pud. Callahan deserves at least 3 seasons to show us what he's made of.

If we'd fire Callahan after this season, there isn't a coach in his right mind that would even consider coming here. By the way, if Callahan doesn't pan out you can cross Urban Myer off your list. He'll be at a much better school next year, more than likely Florida!

All of this reminds me of Texas A&M. They fired a coach who'd been part of the program for a lot of years, but just couldn't win the big ones consistently. Franchione was brought in and had a horrible record his first year. This year, they've improved a lot and are winning some big games. I know you can't compare Callahan to Franchione because Fran has been known to turn programs around. However, this thing could still work out. I am a little uneasy about one of our top linebacker recruits leaving, but hopefully the new recruiting class will fill some voids.