Burning Redshirts?

cashel

I have expressed my opinion on this subject many times especially about Paul. It is absolutely dumb to burn his redshirt year just for special teams. He is doing the same thing that Chris Brooks did in 05'. Chris Brooks came in for about two plays in the first game that year then didnt play the rest of the year. If he isnt ready the first game whey play him? The coaches say he isnt ready now so he obvioulsy in their opinion wasnt ready then so why play him? I HATE to see Erickson out there just because he is a senior and supposedly knows how to block, well so does Paul and Holt why arent they out there? I was reading some quotes from raiders players back in 03' talking about how the older guys were getting upset bc he was playing the younger guys. Does anyone think that is why he plays guys like Green and Erickson and Pederson and Wilson and Jones? Because he doesnt want the older guys to get upset and then divide the team much like it did in 03? Just the only possible thing I can think of for a reason not to have Paul and Holt in the game at least a little bit good Lord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What are your thoughts on Niles Paul and Helu's playing time this year. I think it was a waste to burn the red shirt with the little playing time they have seen.

What do you think?

I dont think there is such a thing as burning a redshirt. They came here to play. The talent level isnt OU, Florida or USC. Dont save them, play them. Get Paul into the rotation. Remove Hardy and give him half of Nunn's plays. I'd like to see what he can do given the opportunity. I recall Purify & Swift made the best of their first few chances on the field.

The only thing good about a RS is for injury.

I caught part of the Tuesday press conference after the Ball State game and someone asked Coach Callahan which players were being redshirted. He laughed and said "We haven't redshirted anyone yet." That spoke volumes in regards to his stance on redshirts and players.

He did go on to say that he thought a good way to get those young players acclimated to the speed of the game is to play on special teams. Then they phase them over to offense or defense.

I caught part of the Tuesday press conference after the Ball State game and someone asked Coach Callahan which players were being redshirted. He laughed and said "We haven't redshirted anyone yet." That spoke volumes in regards to his stance on redshirts and players.

He did go on to say that he thought a good way to get those young players acclimated to the speed of the game is to play on special teams. Then they phase them over to offense or defense.

And by phase he means next year.

Ok...I have some good questions.

Based on what we have seen and heard. Its evident that Cally hasn't started a QB while being freshman or sophmore...Taylor started Jr., now Keller Sr.

Does this mean that Gabbert possibly won't start his first 2 years?

One of the coaches stated about a week ago that he doesn't believe in starting freshman...

Do you think the other coaches agree w/ him, and this is why we haven't seen any freshman start?

Based on what we have seen and heard. Its evident that Cally hasn't started a QB while being freshman or sophmore...Taylor started Jr., now Keller Sr.

One of the coaches stated about a week ago that he doesn't believe in starting freshman...

Do you think the other coaches agree w/ him, and this is why we haven't seen any freshman start?

Yes...its an out dated philosophy that should have died when the dinosaurs went extinct. Will Gabbert start as frosh or soph..../who knows but its highly unlikely since we still have Ganz, Lee, Witt, and Ol' boy Davis next year. Not to mention Ganz and Davis will be gone but we will still have Lee and Witt when Gabbert is a soph. But the possibility is there his soph, he will just have to fight his ars off and be Cally's golden boy.

I have no problem with them playing special teams. However, especially with all of the situational substitutions this team does, I do not believe there are not certain packages, plays or situations that we could utilize some of these individuals more. That, I believe, would help the 'fans" see if they are ready to take on more, as well as utilize each one's strengths and athleticism to their advantage.

Yes...its an out dated philosophy that should have died when the dinosaurs went extinct. Will Gabbert start as frosh or soph..../who knows but its highly unlikely since we still have Ganz, Lee, Witt, and Ol' boy Davis next year. Not to mention Ganz and Davis will be gone but we will still have Lee and Witt when Gabbert is a soph. But the possibility is there his soph, he will just have to fight his ars off and be Cally's golden boy.

Bah, humbug. I say if you can use 'em, then use 'em. It's getting to be a rarity that good college football players are willing to stick it out for five years. The best ones will go to the draft early, perhaps after only three years. I would never count on a player to stay around for a fifth year anymore.

So, play 'em early. You probably aren't really losing anything.

Yes I say play them if you got them, but in Pauls case why not give him a package of about ten to twenty plays during the season and say learn these and study the whole playbook as much as possible. When the season is over really concentrate on the whole playbook especially during the spring that way when he is a sophmore he can have about 60-70% of the offense down but still our best players are out there. keep doing that until he is a junior then he will have the whole offense pretty well known. Right now he is just being wasted. I would much rather have a very talented guy know 40% of the offense and make plays happen than have someone like Erickson who knows 100% of the playbook and can only catch the ball and go down. Coaches who play with seniority in mind will never be successful and if they dont soon figure it out that you have to play underclassmen in real game situations they will be hurting. It is nice to see however that West, Castille, Blue and Helu all play a little bit during the course of the game. Now why cant they just put Paul in for Erickson, just hand over his package to him and tell him to learn it.