The last 10 meetings...

CalHusker

no we can't.  We dominated them in the 90's and they dominated us in the 80's.  They will smoke callahan.

How come it is WE dominated them, but they will smoke CALLAHAN? Is it only WE during wins?

Notice he said 'us' in the 80s. It goes back to the feeling that a lot of fans don't recognize the program. And that feeling has nothing to do with the gameplan.

no we can't.  We dominated them in the 90's and they dominated us in the 80's.  They will smoke callahan.

How come it is WE dominated them, but they will smoke CALLAHAN? Is it only WE during wins?

Notice he said 'us' in the 80s. It goes back to the feeling that a lot of fans don't recognize the program. And that feeling has nothing to do with the gameplan.

The 78,000 plus I sit with on 6 saturdays a year seem to still call it us or we. Bellyaching over Frankie isn't going to change anything either. People really need to get over that they fired Frankie crap. Did people really think Nebraska was really that much different then every other program in the nation. We joined everyone else when Larry Phillips took the field in the last half of 1995.

The 78,000 plus I sit with on 6 saturdays a year seem to still call it us or we. Bellyaching over Frankie isn't going to change anything either. People really need to get over that they fired Frankie crap. Did people really think Nebraska was really that much different then every other program in the nation. We joined everyone else when Larry Phillips took the field in the last half of 1995.

Are you kidding me? You know that Phillips sat out 6 games and returned for the last 3 games of the regular season (after the Colorado game, which was the biggest game of the year). You know we didn't need him to win. Green was doing just fine. You've heard Osbourne explain that he didn't want to just throw Phillips away because it was the easy thing to do.

I shouldn't be surprised though. The fact that you never considered Nebraska's program to have something special compared to other big time program explains a lot.

I was perfectly happy with nebraska how we were last year. We didn't win every game but we were still nebraska!!!! We aren't nebraska no more. How can anyone say we are. We stand for nothing nebraska has ever standed for. Cheap imitation as far as I'm concerned. It's not the same man.

I was perfectly happy with nebraska how we were last year. We didn't win every game but we were still nebraska!!!! We aren't nebraska no more. How can anyone say we are. We stand for nothing nebraska has ever standed for. Cheap imitation as far as I'm concerned. It's not the same man.

You're right Benard, it isn't the same. It never will be the same. I'd rather have a program that is willing to take a huge chance and make some moves rather than a program that is going to look the other way while a "Gerald Ford" coach keeps the team hovering right above mediocrity and never take them any further. But that's me. I will go for the gold while risking being a goat, rather than settle for a bronze. I'm a risk taker, you are obviously not. As long as that N is on the helmet it will always be Nebraska, the only thing that will change is how you look at the young men wearing those helmets. From my years growing up in this state and following the Huskers, I have learned that Nebraska stands for hard work, being a teammate and perseverance, even through the most difficult times. Right now are difficult times for these players, and they need to pull together and lean on one another to persevere through this. This not only will show what kinda team this can be, but what kind of men Solich recruited. Right now, this team needs our support, the support of NEBRASKANS. I dunno about you, but I say give em hell Huskers, and to hell with anyone who says different.

GO BIG RED! GO BIG RED! GO BIG RED! :horns2

You're right Benard, it isn't the same. It never will be the same. I'd rather have a program that is willing to take a huge chance and make some moves rather than a program that is going to look the other way while a "Gerald Ford" coach keeps the team hovering right above mediocrity and never take them any further. But that's me. I will go for the gold while risking being a goat, rather than settle for a bronze. I'm a risk taker, you are obviously not. As long as that N is on the helmet it will always be Nebraska, the only thing that will change is how you look at the young men wearing those helmets. From my years growing up in this state and following the Huskers, I have learned that Nebraska stands for hard work, being a teammate and perseverance, even through the most difficult times. Right now are difficult times for these players, and they need to pull together and lean on one another to persevere through this. This not only will show what kinda team this can be, but what kind of men Solich recruited. Right now, this team needs our support, the support of NEBRASKANS. I dunno about you, but I say give em hell Huskers, and to hell with anyone who says different.

You and Newearthhusker and DaveH have been spoiled by the 90s. Do you even remember the 80s? When we couldn't buy a break in the big games and would often get dominated? That's when your little diatribe about hard work and sticking together through tough times actually meant something. When the program rallied around Osbourne despite critics saying he couldn't win big games. From 1973-1990, his record vs. Oklahoma was sorry 6-13 with an average margin of defeat of 15 points. Before he won his first title, his bowl record was 8-13. You heard him say it a million times...winning wasn't as important as the journey itself. It's carved on the outside of the stadium, for crying out loud!!!! That same loyalty and work ethic that you say all fans should demonstrate now is what we should have shown Solich after improving from 7-7 to 10-3. We should have seen what he could do. But no, Tom won us three championships so now we're spoiled and expect to play in the title game every year. Well, I agree with Benard. I'd rather be like the Nebraska I grew up with than scrap all tradition just to win. He's right that we don't stand for anything we used to. We stand for one thing now...wins, wins, and more wins. Some of us, T.O. and Solich included, liked to think we stood for something more than that. But Pedersen has changed that. The direction he has taken makes any speeches about perserverance and loyalty lose a lot of their value. I will always support the Huskers, because its in my blood, I was born and raised in Omaha. I just don't recognize them anymore.

[

You and Newearthhusker and DaveH have been spoiled by the 90s.  Do you even remember the 80s?  When we couldn't buy a break in the big games and would often get dominated?  That's when your little diatribe about hard work and sticking together through tough times actually meant something.  When the program rallied around Osbourne despite critics saying he couldn't win big games.  From 1973-1990, his record vs. Oklahoma was sorry 6-13 with an average margin of defeat of 15 points.  Before he won his first title, his bowl record was 8-13.  You heard him say it a million times...winning wasn't as important as the journey itself.  It's carved on the outside of the stadium, for crying out loud!!!!

How is that any different than what I just said, you just "haterized" it. And how am I the one spoiled by the 90's, I'm not the one whining and bitching because the Huskers are losing, what am I doing, offering my support. Go ahead and try and turn this around on me being the spoiled fan. I'm not the one that tries to hold onto every little piece of the 90s and bitch about everything new. You and Benard and all your lackies make me wanna puke.

You and Newearthhusker and DaveH have been spoiled by the 90s. Do you even remember the 80s? When we couldn't buy a break in the big games and would often get dominated? That's when your little diatribe about hard work and sticking together through tough times actually meant something. When the program rallied around Osbourne despite critics saying he couldn't win big games. From 1973-1990, his record vs. Oklahoma was sorry 6-13 with an average margin of defeat of 15 points. Before he won his first title, his bowl record was 8-13. You heard him say it a million times...winning wasn't as important as the journey itself. It's carved on the outside of the stadium, for crying out loud!!!! That same loyalty and work ethic that you say all fans should demonstrate now is what we should have shown Solich after improving from 7-7 to 10-3. We should have seen what he could do. But no, Tom won us three championships so now we're spoiled and expect to play in the title game every year. Well, I agree with Benard. I'd rather be like the Nebraska I grew up with than scrap all tradition just to win. He's right that we don't stand for anything we used to. We stand for one thing now...wins, wins, and more wins. Some of us, T.O. and Solich included, liked to think we stood for something more than that. But Pedersen has changed that. The direction he has taken makes any speeches about perserverance and loyalty lose a lot of their value. I will always support the Huskers, because its in my blood, I was born and raised in Omaha. I just don't recognize them anymore.

That's great and all and I agree that things aren't the same as they used to be. However, how are you and the rest of the guys going to sit there and say winning isn't the most important thing then blast the current staff in their first year for not winning?

Almost like a bully standing on the sidelines saying "HA! This isn't going to work you idiot!!", while wearing Husker apparel.

You said it yourself that the journey is more important that the win itself. We are on a journey right now. Be it under a different leader and a journey that has never been taken in Nebraska, one that you may not agree with. But right now he is the leader.

I remember the 80's. I remember all the heat Osborne took for not being able to win the big game. You, I, DJR, and the rest of the fans stuck by him during those times. Now that a new coach is in place, taking a lot of heat for his first season you are ready to bail. Sure, he hasn't shown that he is the man yet, but you aren't even willing to give him a chance. What does he have to do to get you behind him?. Seriously, I want to know. It seems to me that many fans were really more a fan of the style of football than the team.

The truth of the matter is Callahan was condemned by many fans before he even coached his first game.

Are you kidding me? You know that Phillips sat out 6 games and returned for the last 3 games of the regular season (after the Colorado game, which was the biggest game of the year). You know we didn't need him to win. Green was doing just fine. You've heard Osbourne explain that he didn't want to just throw Phillips away because it was the easy thing to do.

I shouldn't be surprised though. The fact that you never considered Nebraska's program to have something special compared to other big time program explains a lot.

I never said they weren't different I said they stopped being different when Phillips was allowed to play. I know we didn't need him to win. Osborne could of still looked after the joker and not let him play football again. He freakin drug a girl down a bunch of stairs by her hair. Sounds like a kid deserving of another chance to take the field. Do you remember the poster with the wr flashing a gang sign on it? How many girls did C. Peters fondle? People used to say how bad the Florida schools and Oklahoma players were all the while cheering for these guys.

I remember the 80's. I remember all the heat Osborne took for not being able to win the big game. You, I, DJR, and the rest of the fans stuck by him during those times. Now that a new coach is in place, taking a lot of heat for his first season you are ready to bail. Sure, he hasn't shown that he is the man yet, but you aren't even willing to give him a chance. What does he have to do to get you behind him?. Seriously, I want to know. It seems to me that many fans were really more a fan of the style of football than the team.

The truth of the matter is Callahan was condemned by many fans before he even coached his first game.

We both have a point. People like me are upset because we feel like Solich was thrown away by an outsider who didn't understand or care how much it was going to hurt. The message sent was 'winning every game is more important than loyalty'. So we think perfection should be demanded. We don't understand why Callahan is given a pass because this is a 'transition year' when clearly losing was not acceptable. We feel people who supported the coaching change are willing to accept any level of ridiculous performance in the coming years just to defend the decision (that's what Petersen is like anyway). People like you don't understand that we talk of loyalty but don't give any slack at all to Callahan.

The truth is I didn't condemn Callahn from the moment he got here. It wanted to give him a chance. But he's demonstrated that he is not a good coach. You guys always say that the reason the change was made is that we were hovering around mediocrity. You'd rather cut the ties and end the continuity and tradition of the coaching staff than lose 3 games a year. I don't agree, but I can respect that. But I really really really really really really really REALLY don't think we're headed in the right direction here. This is a huge step down and I don't see us returning to what we were any time soon. You may not agree, but you have to respect that.